LV
Years ago

Perth stats

Cats away games

2 games, 53 fouls Perth. 48 fouls opponents.

Average: 26.5 vs 24.0.

Cats home games:

5 games, 66 fouls on Perth, 112 fouls on opponents.

Average: 13.2 vs 22.4.

This is remarkable- Perth has only had 13 more fouls called on them in FIVE home games (including a double overtime match) than TWO away games.

66 fouls in 210 minutes of play at home- no more than 17 fouls in any game, with their opponent getting pinged for at least 5 more fouls in every single game.

Not so when they play on the road.

Topic #44261 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'll get behind any stat that exposes the Wildcats

Reply #715151 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

In Perthworld fans ref games.

Reply #715153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United flippers can't beat the hawks so zip it

Reply #715154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure 2 games vs 5 games is enough for a comparison. The 2 away games could be outliers for all we know.

I hate simply using foul counts as a comparison of reffing though. The only count that really would matter is incorrect calls/non calls.

Tbh I don't think Perth has necessarily been favored a whole lot. The style of play and the oppositions style has been a big factor in the foul counts.

Reply #715155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That 66 foul count is ridiculous! Something needs to be done about it. The number should actually be 65 because Rhys vague's block last night was CLEAN, I certainly hope something is done about the terrible reffing.

Reply #715168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Perth just play better defence at home?

Teams struggle with the flight and time difference.

Opposition teams get star struck and then lose their composure resulting in silly fouls?

Reply #715173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or block fouls are called chargers and Melbourne get beat.

Reply #715189 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

It's been more than a week LV and You are still losing sleep. I'd tell you to get a life but I like you to remain pathetic more.

Reply #715193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like how LV turns a blind eye to the advantages Melbourne gets but leads the charge in highlighting what happens to other teams.

Reply #715199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how many fouls should Perth be getting at home?

Reply #715208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot less

Reply #715224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cry me a river OP.

Reply #715227 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Why would you even bother producing stats based on 7 games?
Why not just pull up the stats for the past several seasons?

And even then, what are you hoping to prove? That Perth is a better team than most?
Your fundamental theory you are trying to prove, that the NBL is purposely helping the Wildcats by directing the refs to call less fouls, is absurd.

If you wish to argue that the refs are incompetent, then you need to have a theory as to why that incompetence appears one-sided.

Reply #715229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice work LV. The numbers don't lie.

Reply #715234 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And even then, what are you hoping to prove? That Perth is a better team than most?
I cannot possibly fathom how you think the numbers in question could even indicate one way or the other on that front.

Reply #715236 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I looked at the figures a few seasons ago. On average, the home team gets 2 less fouls per game.... except in Perth

Reply #715316 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

In Perthworld the laws of physics are different. We're on another planet.

Reply #715318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a a Perth fan, I definitely notice that we get favourable calls at home. I just don't particularly care and I think it's hilarious to see the other team's fans cry about it.

Reply #715322 | Report this post

Perf Werld  
Years ago

Yeah I like favourable calls at home and much more then that I really love opposing fan melts so it is a win win situation

Reply #715323 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We're so arrogant.

Reply #715325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We're allowed to be because of the continued success.

Reply #715329 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

That discrepancy at home even in a small sample size and it feels like Gleeson is barking at the refs more than I've ever heard! I can't stand his whinging!

Reply #715347 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Nz and brisbane fouled a heap, brisbane easily could have given away more. Get over it. If united stoppes chucking threes and attacked the paint they may get more calls

Reply #715374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In Perthworld the laws of physics are different. We're on another planet."
Yed Planet Dickhead.

Reply #715375 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

But so what?

If I produced stats showing that Team X shot more threes at home, would you accept that as proof that their 3=point line is somehow to blame? If they get more boards, does that mean there is a problem with the backboards?

Doesn't matter what statistics you conjure up, nothing will prove your ludicrous theory of some grand conspiracy involving the NBL and the Refs.

Even if you're trying to prove that the refs sometimes get things wrong, well dohhhh, that's hardly a revelation.

I love to yell at the refs too, its all part of the fun, but at the end of the night you take away a win or a lose, and that's it, life goes on.

Reply #715388 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Nz and brisbane fouled a heap, brisbane easily could have given away more. Get over it. If united stoppes chucking threes and attacked the paint they may get more calls
paul has repeatedly pointed out that opposition free-throws decrease significantly, and your argument is "but other teams foul"?

If I produced stats showing that Team X shot more threes at home, would you accept that as proof that their 3=point line is somehow to blame? If they get more boards, does that mean there is a problem with the backboards?
If you could produce such stats then yeah, it'd be something worth looking into. Or did that year where everyone concluded the Perth Arena rims were way to tight based on relative shooting percentages just not happen according to you?

Doesn't matter what statistics you conjure up, nothing will prove your ludicrous theory of some grand conspiracy involving the NBL and the Refs.
Good thing nobody is trying to prove that.

Reply #715396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just like west coast in the afl with home free kicks

Reply #715407 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I posted these home vs away foul call stats a year or so ago and it seems worthwhile to put them on here again. They only cover the seasons from 2012-13 to 2016-17 as the NBL removed the home/away filter from its players' stats page after 2016/17 and doesn't show fouls on the team stats page (which does have the home/away filter). I'm not keen enough to copy paste foul numbers from 112 box scores for that season. If someone else has those stats, they can post them.

Basically, these stats look at how many more/less fouls each team was called for at home vs away, for the whole season. So they give some sense of the home vs away advantage/disadvantage for each team, from a personal fouls' perspective. The stats alone say NOTHING about the reasons for any difference.

e.g., in 2012/13, Perth's home advantage was -5.1, meaning they were called for 5.1 fewer fouls per game at home than away. That was the biggest home advantage in that season and compared with an NBL average of -1.5.

Apologies for not being able to lay out the table neatly. I don't have the HTML skills and posting may remove the additional spaces I used for formatting.

Team 2012/13 2013/14 2014/15 2015/16 2016/17 2012-17

Adelaide -0.9 -2.6 -1.3 -1.4 -3.4 -1.9
Brisbane - - - - -1.6 -1.6
NZ -0.8 -2.1 -0.4 -1.6 -0.9 -1.1
Sydney -1.8 -1.9 +0.3 -2.4 -0.1 -1.2
Cairns -2.6 +2.3 -3.6 -1.6 -1.5 -1.4
Perth -5.1 -1.6 -1.9 -2.6 +0.1 -2.2
Illawarra +1.3 -0.5 -1.3 -0.4 +1.1 0.0
Melbourne -1.0 -2.5 +0.1 -1.1 -0.6 -1.0
Townsville -1.0 -0.4 -1.1 -0.6 - -0.8

NBL -1.5 -1.2 -1.1 -1.5 -0.9 -1.2

The last column is the summary home advantage for the full 5 year period.

The biggest point I take from this table is pity the Hawks, who had no home court foul advantage at all. The next biggest point is the consistent NBL average across the seasons, of roughly a one foul advantage per game for home teams.

Perth's full year advantage is heavily biased by the 2012/13 season where they had a huge home court advantage relative to the NBL average (nearly three times the NBL average). Only Adelaide's 2016/17 home advantage stands out to a similar extent (nearly four times the NBL average).

While these are historical stats, they do quantify the sort of home advantage you might expect to see over a season in the NBL. Based on the stats given by OP in this thread, Perth's home advantage using this measure is -13.3. There's no doubt that number is way higher than anything in the table above. In particular, it's massively higher than the long term NBL seasonal average.

If we aren't seeing similarly large, atypical home advantages for other teams in this season to date, then there's absolutely something to worry about and the most likely culprit would have to be refereeing. If anyone wants to do test this by checking other teams' 2018/19 home advantages, feel free.

Reply #715493 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Thanks PeterJohn

So Perth has the biggest overall advantage from 2012-17.

Confirms what we all know, and what I remembered from last time you posted these.

Reply #715529 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Pffft... you can manipulate statistics to "prove" almost anything.
A series of random numbers just coicidentally happen to have a trend, but correlation does not prove causation.
Nothing to see here! :p

Reply #715534 | Report this post

Fertsy  
Years ago

So going by average, over 5 seasons Perth is called for 0.7 less fouls per game at home... Adelaide is second at 0.4... Yay!

and if you exclude 12/13, Adelaide now has the highest average of -2.2 a whole point above that period average.
Exclude 2016/17 which skewed Adelaide's average and Perth are back in the lead over those three years at 0.7

yay statistics!!!... let's now talk about global warming stats... or is it climate change, definitely not the greenhouse effect anymore!

How about everyone except Illawarra stop complaining - they're the only team that can talk about getting an even foul call on average at home... Now that sucks!

Hang on! Exclude Illawarra's stats and Perth only has 0.3 fouls over the league average... I love statistics!

Reply #716132 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

How about this stat? 8 time champs! x that by 2 and that's the next closest to the best team ever in the NBL 100% period.

Reply #716163 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

^^^÷ by 2 it should be.

Reply #716164 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

F*ck we're good just ask us!

Reply #716167 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:27 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754