Anonymous
Years ago

Nick Kay is so underrated

He is not great at one thing but very good at everything. Terrific defender, rebounder, low post scorer and solid shooting touch. Perth seriously got lucky by getting him

Topic #44279 | Report this topic

AD  
Years ago

I can't believe somebody said he was a step down from Knight.
Different style of player, probably wouldn't want him spending too much time at the 5 in this league, but more mobile with a more reliable outside shot.

Reply #715913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prime knight was better especially on defence

Reply #715916 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Both are invaluable to the way perth plays. Lets wait for prime kay before judging.

Reply #715920 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

People have definitely underrated the improvements to our squad this season, Kay being the major one. Does it all, at both end, and plays big minutes.

Reply #715932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are all forgetting how good Matt Knight was before injuries.

Reply #715939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not to discredit Knight one bit, but the league is much much different now to 5 years ago. It is much better

Reply #715941 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

One player doesn't have to be better than another to make that player awesome... Perth hadn't seen peak Knight in quite some time, so I'm actually surprised that there was some surprise that Kay would be this good or valuable to Perth as some of us were saying that he'd be one of the best off season signings heading into this season... Might not average the best numbers, but him and Norton were both amazing signings and like some commentators were saying yesterday, will pay off long term as once you're a quality local player in that Wildcats system, the likelihood of leaving is pretty much zero...

Reply #715948 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Knight was an absolute stud in his prime, no question, one of the better two-way bigs the league has had. But at 26 Kay is still coming into his prime and if he continues on his current trajectory will be remembered as a stud too. He does pretty much everything on the court, he just needs to improve that outside shot a little bit and he will be a superb all-around player.

Reply #715950 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not sure he's underrated, I think he's just taken a big step forward this year. Last year I thought he was overrated if anything and too prone to games where he didn't show up, but so far that hasn't been a problem in Perth.

Reply #715951 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

People don't have to necessarily compare him to Knight or Norton to Martin for that matter. They aren't the same but bring quality skill sets in their own rights.

Hope they stay long term in Perth to form part of a new core.
Can already see Norton being a future leader at the club.

Reply #715957 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Definitely underrated.

Nick Kay takes pride in the Wildcats jungle

"My experience in Perth so far has been really enjoyable. Obviously, there is a lot of talent on the team, and it is great to be able to work together to find ways to exploit it all, and use everybody in the best possible way."

Reply #715980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Working under Mathew Nielson seems to make 4/5 men grow an extra leg.

Reply #716007 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

Kay has come a long way and all the promise he showed early on seems to be coming out. He seems like the archetypal 4 in the modern NBL. Still not sold on him at international level, but that's another thing entirely.

Damn Perth, they just seem to have the whole culture/development thing down, and can pretty much just plug new players into the system without missing a beat.

Reply #716074 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Regarding any comparison to Knight.
At his best, Knight was probably the best big man in the league. He could hold down the 5 spot, despite being more a 4/5. In recent seasons he played more of a PF role, alongside Jervis/Jawai/McKay/Brandt. He was great, but in the end I think we were all just happy to see him put his health first.

I think its more a question of people not seeing Kay as an upgrade over Knight from last year. We only got a handful of games, with reduced minutes, and cringed everytime a arm went near his head.

Reply #716087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He does pretty much everything on the court, he just needs to improve that outside shot a little bit and he will be a superb all-around player."

Paul, I think he is an accurate shooter but I feel he needs a lot of time to get his jumpshot off. Improving the mechanics so that he can catch and shoot more quickly will be important.

Reply #716168 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:44 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754