Dwayne Russell gets too excited about United

Why is it whenever United score a basket and especially when Goulding scores he goes off as he just ejaculated and found out he won the lotto at the same time.

Yet, whenever the opposition score or do something good, he reacts as if he is at a funeral?

So unprofessional.

Topic #44320 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

Loved his call at the end of one of the quarters today.

"They've got plenty of time to set it up and work it around but they need to get a shot off now because there's two seconds left."

Reply #717314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I always shoot within 2 seconds.

Reply #717318 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Yeah I've sàid it before he gets so excited that the ball comes off the opponents and it's United ball, then he sounds like someone ran over his pet when they reverse it.

TIME FOR YOU TO GO DWAYNE RUSSELL.

Seriously who would want him calling twice as much action next season when Phoenix come in.

Others complain about commentators and how Homicide is this and that but Dwayne Russell is the only commentator I'd turn the volume down for.

Reply #717335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not a fan of Russell at all, but I'd listen to him commentate every game if it meant Homocide was given the boot.

Reply #717340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd listen to Homicide every game if it meant Russell got the boot (even though he only does melb home games)

Reply #717341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give me Russell over Homicide any day

Reply #717342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide has been better this season

Reply #717350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He set the bar pretty low last season

Reply #717352 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I find Homicide harder to put up with because he's doing it intentionally whereas Russell is just incompetent, but if we can only get rid of one of them Russell is the easy pick to go.

Reply #717355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He did but I think he is getting better without losing his personality. Dwayne has not changed in years and the league has moved past him now.

Reply #717357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is mostly Perth fans who hate Homicide because he trolls them hard and they always take the bait. He is worth keeping for that alone as it is entertaining to me the way they all arc up at him over nothing. Plus he knows the game better than most people even if his predictions are terrible. Actually his bad predictions add to the entertainment factor.

Reply #717358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dwayne Russell is just an AFL commentator with a Melbourne bias. If you can accept this he is tolerable, while not enjoyable.

Corey Williams makes uneducated and/or inflammatory comments to cater to the morons of the NBL's fanbase because this is all he has to offer: no insight, and no entertainment for those with an IQ above 100.

The NBA doesn't give Skip Bayless, Stephen A Smith, Colin Cowherd, Nick Wright etc. a mouthpiece in the middle of a game, despite the interest they generate. Why? Because it would detract from the product they're selling. LK should understand this.

Reply #717381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. Those that enjoy Homicide are generally a few sandwiches short of a picnic anyway.

Reply #717390 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think Homicide brings game knowledge to the commentary. Santamaría or whoever was third caller today did far more of that.

Much preferred Heal and Carf today.

Reply #717411 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

I think Russell is just a mistake that Foxtel made years ago that they are having to deal with. Just like Luke Darcy (another failed AFL commentator) they would of offered him a big multi year deal to commentate AFL and realized how shit he was so are now trying to hide him in another, lower visibility, sport. They hid Darcy in Netball before giving him the flick.

As a Perth fan I love Homicide, only someone who is truly in love with the Wildcats could spend that much effort trying to bring them down.

Reply #717429 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Yeah I'm a Perth fan too and I don't hate Homicide, his predictions do add to the spectacle as it's always fun to look at things from a different perspective and not garner that Perth should have an easy home win, and when he is right then good on him and his prediction.

He has very little credibility but if they show more of Corey Williams and his criminal law studies past rather than the Homicide that we got last year then he would be good for a game a round, I'd still rather James Harvey.

Re: Dwayne Russell and him being implemented into Melbourne United games (he did several in Perth too) and how tv stations added him there, as they have done with Billy Woods and Steve Quartermaine (but they were awesome by comparison). Surely they could find someone else in Melbourne to do games and please not Huddo, I've been a fan but not in basketball. We've had Lachy Reid do an Illawarra game and John Casey doing Cairns games, if it's a non biased call you're after then grab one of those guys or Matt McQuade.

Reply #717443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Russell is terrible. Keeps banging on with "2 for 1" opportunities and his love affair with Goulding is sickening.

Reply #717450 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Yup, pretty vocal about wanting Dwayne Russell to get the flick... I'm not a huge fan of the other Russell either, but no-one compares to such cringe-worthy commentary of D-Russ... Time to vote him off the commentary island...

Reply #717471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who oversees the work of commentators in NBL ? Like, is there a chief commentator or is it the NBL's business minded managers who may like what they see in Russell. Worse is happening in the WNBL in terms of Melbourne Boomers promotion by even worse commentators.

Reply #717477 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

I'm not sure why Dwayne Russell is catching all this flack yet no one is talking about Matt Russell who is easily just as annoying and whose voice is incredibly grating.

Homicide might not be the brains trust of the world, but he says interesting stuff that starts debate and banter. You either like Homicide, or you love to hate him, and many people long said we needed characters involved in the NBL. What is homicide if not a character? We've suffered through fence sitters and flavorless politeness through commentary for a very long time and I am glad that we're moving away from that.

Reply #717486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with Food For Thought regarding Homicide. He at least gave us some fun to watch basketball in the past ( and it is relevant) therefore IMO, deserves some patience while improving in his new job.

Reply #717490 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I mentioned Matt Russell and he says just as much stupid stuff, like having to explain why he was calling Clint Steindl 'The Sniper', ugh...

Reply #717511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You've got a point, Food for thought: there is certainly a lot of debate banter about how stupid Corey Williams is, and those that enjoy his commentary. If that's what the NBL is after, kudos. I'm sure it really brings in the $$$.

"many people long said we needed characters involved in the NBL" - who said this and when?

Reply #717512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Russell is very poor.

Reply #717513 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

What happened to Hugh Greenwood? I thought he was added as a commentator. I have noticed he's been in the states though recently, so maybe he just hasn't started yet?

Reply #717514 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Both Russell's are awful. The amount of incorrect calls they point out is insane. Very bad for casual fans who don't fully understand the rules of basketball or the referee signals.

Reply #717519 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The Russell's, Heal and Homicide are all awful.

And I disagree with Food for thought, I don't love to hate Homicide, I just can't stand listening to him. I even have him muted on Twitter so that I don't have to see people re tweet his nonsense.

Debate is only interesting when the perspective comes from a place of knowledge. His do not.

Reply #717550 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, I've found him tolerable this season so far, but had to reach for the mute button several times over the weekend while he got into stupid debates about whether the correct phrase was "across the pond" or "across the ditch", and talked about Casper Ware blocking him on Instagram.

Reply #717553 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Surprised there is not a lot of focus on Heal. He is awful and is on the most amount of games!

Reply #717595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did they get rid of James Harvey when all these other mugs have kept their jobs?

Reply #717624 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Just in case your new to the NBL, Dwayne Russell is an absolute moron. Literally ruins every NBL game he commentates.

Reply #717663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How did they get rid of James Harvey when all these other mugs have kept their jobs?"

If they already have Heal, they don't need James Harvey.

Reply #717666 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I'd rather listen to someone intelligent who can get my attention because they say something I didn’t know, than nuff-muffs who either don’t have a clue, state the obvious, are there just to fill the silence with dumb sh*t, or are just there to stir the pot.

Reply #717675 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

As for the bromances and ejacs over some good play, that's typical channel 9. Everything must be marvellous and brilliant and over-the-top hyping, even their promotions of their own shows. It’s all about over-selling and dumbing down.

An uncontested dunk from a guy over 185 cm isn’t such a big deal.
You’d EXPECT players to make their foul shots & uncontested layups & close-in hook shots.
You’d EXPECT uncontested 3-pointers to go in a third of the time from competent shooters, and uncontested 2-pointers at least half the time from anyone who gets on the court.
Hyping up that basic stuff actually tells the audience that the players can’t be that good in the first place, which sends the message that the NBL isn’t that good (and isn’t worth watching).

It’s a sign of the times, and it’s why I often watch NBL on mute so that I can let the play speak for itself.

Reply #717681 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:08 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754