Anonymous
Years ago

Christmas Miracle

It's a Miracle.
For the first and possibly last time in recorded history, Andrew Gaze has out-coached somebody. I know, Im still in shock also.
Try to follow this if you can because it involves some deep-thinking hoops strategy.
Your team is down by 2 points, and you have possession with 11 seconds on the clock - you also happen to have 3 of the best 3-point shooters in the league, all running hot - what are you going to do? So to be completely truthful my grandmother could have scripted the resulting play - hell 13500 people knew what play he would run. So even somebody as dense as Gaze has to assume your oppenents will try to foul - he also knows hed get murdered in overtime - so he draws up literally the only play he can: Inbound - kick it to an open shooter on the perimeter - pull the trigger.
But truthfully the opposing play was equally obvious: You zone off against the inbound pass - then foul before they can jack a shot up. Hopfully only a couple of seconds off the clock - maybe they miss a shot and the game is yours - and even if they make both youve still got time for one more play - hell worst case they get past you for an easy layup - you still cant lose.
The one thing you don't do is let them shoot a 3.
So what the hell does Big Trev do? Puts everyone in the paint to protect the 2.

But for Gaze the game is still not won. Cats are down by one with possession and 4 seconds. So in a coaching masterstroke he gives literally the only instructions he can - defend don't foul. Meanwhile for the Cats the option is simple - set a couple of screens, inbound, attack the bucket and shoot. Maybe it drops or maybe you get a foul. Instead Trev draws up some fancy play for mr butterfingers hisself.

Topic #44461 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Gleeson lol

On his counterpart...

When the ball hit the scoreboard and no one was sure if it was FT yet:

Gaze standing next to starters on the floor: "How are we going to matchup?" and walks away from the group before any consensus.

Plus Aylen had to explain to Gaze that the ball had hit the scoreboard because he was prematurely celebrating with Copeland so wasn't paying attention.

Classic.

Reply #722615 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I want a refund.

Reply #722616 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

I'd like to bet that wasn't the play drawn up by Gaze (if he actually drew anything up). Looked like Randall was trying to get to the basket or get fouled and the kick to Wear was off the cuff when he got cut off.

Reply #722629 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm confused as to why fouling when up two is so obvious, given that it's actually really stupid.

Reply #722630 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

I'm not sure if he out-coached Gleeson or got lucky that Bogut was in foul trouble. Kings were much more balanced when he was forced to sit out.

Reply #722638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neither Gleeson nor Bogut. He got lucky with Wear more than anything else.

Reply #722642 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

KR

Why do you want to spoil Christmas for all the starving kids in Sydney?

This was a Christmas miracle to bring hope to all the little Harbourside city urchins.

Reply #722646 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"I'm confused as to why fouling when up two is so obvious, given that it's actually really stupid."

Interesting debate. It's certainly not something I immediately thought of. Like the OP I assumed the Kings would try to hit a triple, and my thoughts at the game were to simply stop that.

But if you consider it, in hind sight, would it not have been a good move?
Wildcats foul with 6~7 seconds left, worst case scenario is that the Kings make both and we're tied. We've then got a couple more seconds to make that play at the other end, and any score wins it even 1/2 F/Ts. Again, Worst case scenario we go to OT.

Reply #722709 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

And on a related topic, I'm just curious to know.
(And I'm not saying anything should have happened, just the idea made me curious)

Can you be called for a Tech Foul after time has expired? And What happens if you are?
Say you team has just won, and you decide to give an opposition player a serve and a shove. Can you be teched, or is it then something for the tribunal to handle?

Reply #722710 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Surely once the game is over the game is over

Reply #722712 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Would be on report.

Reply #722715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm confused as to why fouling when up two is so obvious, given that it's actually really stupid."
How is it stupid dipshit? Just because you say so? God your an arrogant Wanker. Its called strategy - its what smart coaches do. If Gleeson had done it they would have won - no way they could have lost - so how is it stupid? - Please explain to us lessor mortals.

Reply #722749 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd like to bet that wasn't the play drawn up by Gaze
It didn't look very organised to me. If anything, Kickert was open and the one you'd think would normally take the shot. As it was, Newley (I think) almost got in the way. It was a solid make by Wear considering that distraction.

Reply #722756 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If Gleeson had done it they would have won - no way they could have lost - so how is it stupid?
Up two, if you get a stop you win.

If you foul, and fail to score, and get beat in overtime, you lose.

Reply #722757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I did told a player to do that once. The player gave away an unsportsmanlike foul - intentionally fouling. They made both free throws, missed on the ensuing possession. Game went to OT and we lost.

Fucken LOL - strategy. Too clever by half.

Reply #722774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering Perth couldn't buy a bucket and the Kings were scoring with relative ease at the time, a period of OT likely would not have gone well for Perth either. Better to live and die on a tough 3 point shot. Just because that one happened to go in doesn't make it a bad gamble. Hindsight seems to really screw up some people's logic.

Reply #722775 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Perth would normally back themselves in OT at home, but yeah its all speculative.
Maybe it would have put the wind up a few players? I don't know, even when the lead was down to 3~4, some of our guys were playing like they had the game in the bag.
At least O/T would have given Trev the chance to give them a server.
Who knows. Be interesting to map out the game theory.

Reply #722982 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"I'd like to bet that wasn't the play drawn up by Gaze"
"It didn't look very organised to me"

Which only makes Trev's tactics worse?

Reply #722984 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You mean the tactic of shutting down the play they drew up and forcing them to improvise a rushed shot from well outside the arc by one of the worst shooters in the league?

Reply #722988 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:03 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754