Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Eddy Curry vs the Bulls

Finally: something to take the spotlight off the hilarity that is the BBB Home Girls saga.

(I know everyone's moved on from this days ago but I still think it's funny.)

It seems Eddy Curry and the Bulls aren't seeing eye to eye over their demand he take a DNA test for his heart problems.

As the article points out, this has reasonably large ramifications for all professional sports.

At the very least, I know of many junior hoops coaches here in Adelaide who wish they could DNA test their kids for:

- height
- athleticism
- ability
- annoying parents

Topic #4522 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

This is the start of a very slippery slope (see Gattaca if you want a film reference). And funnily enough, it's an ex-player, John Paxson (Bulls GM) who's saying that if Curry doesn't take the test then he may not suit for the team.

At some point this level of testing will be commonplace. Next, players who don't comply with tests will be ignored with preference given to those who are more gung-ho about things or who are genetically clean.

Those who don't have a perfect sequence will get low offers from teams and when the fear-mongering spreads, they will get poor offers from everyone.

Let's just either breed uber-players or design basketball robots and skip to the last chapter...

Reply #52525 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

i can understand curry's concerns but if hes not happy in chicago, if he gives in and plays out the season for the qualifiying offer and has a decent season he'll be an un-restricted free agent and be one of the most coveted free agents in the leauge and see big $$$$$

He can then get out of Chicago and make alot of dough in the process

Reply #52530 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

If dna typing and such were around before basketball wouldn't players like Bouges and other shorties have never played.

Reply #52572 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Curry one options, well actually 3, but he ain't gonna retire and he ain't gonna take the DNA test.

The Bulls still own him regardless him being a restricted free agent. The Bulls can basically hold Curry to ransome.

The Bulls can choose to make Curry sit the entire season at the end of the bench and make him pick splinters from his butt. They can trade or sign and trade him (NY attempted, offered Tim Thomas, Mike Sweetney and a No 1 for him, but rejected on the Chi-Town side), or they can play him for the remainder of his rookie contract (Pax said this won't happen) and then he's a unrestricted free agent next year.

I expect that Curry will sit on the bench and be trade around the deadline time.

I'm not sure if he'll get the big $$$ if he becomes a unrestricted free agent. Chandler got 60 mill, Curry is better, but are you really gonna risk 60 mill plus on a guy that may just drop dead on you on the court????

Given the recent years where hearts have been an issue for NBA players (Reggie Lewis, Freddy Hoiberg, Curry, Ronny Turaif) I wouldn't be surprised to see teams make this type of testing a part of each physical before a trade or signing a new player.

Geez, I got DNA sampled last week, didn't hurt me....

Reply #52603 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

It's OK - if it ends in tears between Curry and the Bulls, look for Goorjian to recruit him as the Kings' second import.

Reply #52605 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

*WARNING: STAT-PAD ALERT*

(I should have put this in my last post but didn't. Call the cops if you feel aggrieved.)

For anyone else playing at home that's still interested, David Stern's had his say on this which is summarised here.

I think this issue will only get bigger, as Isaac alluded to, but an even bigger issue coming out of Stern's stuff is: there's an organisation called the National Braille Press? And they give out awards?

Reply #52616 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The NBA should rule out DNA tests completely even if the player wants to comply, otherwise this can only go the way of Gattaca within a decade.

Reply #52620 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Dicey call this one.... to supply DNA or not.

I guess you have to look at the WHY.

Why does a sports organisation need someone to undergo DNA testing?? I guess a NBA franchise looks at someone like Eddy Curry as an investment, geez, he's looking at over a 60 million dollar paycheck, so why shouldn't the Bulls have every right to investigate their investment.

Another issue is WHO owns the DNA once it's been provided, Curry or the Bulls???? This issue arose a few years ago with 'frozen pop'.

I understand both sides of the coin on this topic, Curry doesn't want to hurt his potentional future earns (just in case the results were bad), and the Bulls want to investigate their investment.

I personally don't have any issue with DNA testing, I only want to know where and why it could be used to assist me.

Reply #52623 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

One positive I can think of out of this is that if the NBA is allowed/wants to collect DNA from its players, it's going to make paternity claims so much easier to settle, ie:

Women saying "NBA superstar Joe Bloggs fathered my child" simply ask the NBA to run the DNA check, and if it's confirmed, Bloggs pays up. No lawyers, no courts - it's simple and convenient.

Reply #52626 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Shawn Kemp should be taking this decision to the American Supreme Court if this ever occurs.... or maybe Judge Judy to earn some extra $$$$$

Reply #52635 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

curry will never sign more than a 1 year deal in his career now.hes way to risky to throw a massive contract at.examples alan housten huge money but permantely injured.

Reply #52654 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754