Davis whinges to the Sunday Mail

(Mod: Not sure how reliable your info is. Put it on your own website and under your real name if you're confident.)

Topic #4584 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell us what you really think! Stop holding back. Let it out son.

Reply #53151 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

How about he uses his own alias Isacc?

(Mod: Got it.)

Reply #53157 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

how bout we kick him in the face for this supersticious ridiculous incident

Reply #53184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must say i hate the way you filter the posts on this forum, i thought everyone has a right to say what they want. Also i missed the post and would have liked to have read it and made up my own opinion.

Reply #53248 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

No, you didn't want to read this one. Plus, they have to filter posts, often for legal reasons.

This particular post accused a certain individual of the Nazi holocaust, of the Bali bombings, of flying planes into buildings on 9/11 ..... OK, I digress ..... anyway, it was slanderous and just a tad nasty. If you want to say things like that in 2005 then for heavens sake (or perhaps yours), don't put it in writing!

Reply #53272 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

53248, if you promise to pay any potential legal bills I might incur, I'll not filter posts when they are drawn to my attention.

What's amusing is that I know who posted it -- the situation is a touch ironic really.

Reply #53297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See this is what i can't work out. If someone post's something on a this forum under an alias then how could someone sue Isaac for the slander??
Has this happened before or is it just not worth finding out??

Oh and I don't have a problem with helping with the legal bills as long as we win.

Reply #53323 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Internet is a new medium and many cases of traditional laws being applied to it are yet to be tested. With the case of a book or newspaper, a publisher and an author can be held liable. Letters to the Editor, for example, are reviewed, type-set, and a publisher assumes some liability in doing that. The same can be said for TV or radio.

In the case of an Internet forum, I can be considered the "publisher", but I do not review posts before they are live, and I do not review every post checking for objectionable content. If I am alerted to anything of that sort, I can remove/fix it, which is what has happened in this case.

As I said, it is untested in court and there is a good chance that a "publisher" would not be ruled liable because I cannot be expected to personally review approximately 1,000 posts per week, especially when you consider that I am not a lawyer and may not recognise troublesome content in all cases. There are a number of defenses available should anything like that eventuate.

To date, any cases of defamation with regard to internet forums have been abandoned or settled without a precedent being established, as far as I know.

When notified or alerted, I am inclined to remove the content rather than put up with a threat or whatever. If someone firmly believes their claims, they are certainly welcome to put their name to it, post it on a site over which they have full control, etc.

That's what I do, anyway.

Reply #53326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But the legal costs for defending a complex defemation action can put a person out of business in any event. Even if successful, a litigant is usually able to obtain what is known as 'party and party costs' which as a rule of thumb is only about two thirds of a solicitor's actual costs. And even then, recovery of costs is always subject to the other person's ability to pay.

People are free to make whatever slanderous statements they want, they are however responsible for the effect of them. It is however absolutely not on to put people like Isaac at the risk of a law suit because you have an anger management issue.

In this case, a successful pre-action claim for discovery from Isaac (or other threats and encouragements) may disclose the identity of the poster to any potential wronged party, saving Isaac from considerable costs. So even in this event, Isaac has done the only thing he can to protect this site. But the warning whould be taken by anyone who wishes to write slanderous information anywhere on the web. You are definitly not as anonymous as you think!

Reply #53330 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:56 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754