Anonymous
Years ago

SEM Phoenix vs Brisbane Oct 13

Sportsbet has Brisbane the favourites

SEM paying $2.05 for the win
Brisbane at $1.78 for the win.

Personally I think this could go either way, I'll predict SEM by 4 points at home.

Topic #46054 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No,Wesley though.

Reply #767614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True, Wesley only played 5 minutes against Melbourne and SEM still won, I think they're on a high and their first home game.

Reply #767615 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I'm tipping SEM.

A genuine NBL Star. Good import input. Experienced players. They’re only going to get better as their team and culture develop over the season. Their riskier games will be between the first few games and about the 2/3 mark of the season. They could be a surprise to sneak into the 4.

Illawarra might also surprise for the 4 as well. Ball will improve over the season, as will their other younger guys. But Boone and other older players will suffer towards the end of the season.

Reply #767626 | Report this post

Alright?  
Years ago

Interesting take.

Have you watched the Illawarra games so far?

Reply #767634 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Could go either way. I'm thinking SEM in a close one.

Reply #767636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A crucial game early in the season. I think these two, along with the Breakers, will form a chase pack for the last finals spot behind the top 3: Perth, Melbourne, Sydney.

Reply #767651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep. It can't all be left to Creek and Robson.

Reply #767652 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Buzzas to blow them off the court.

Magnay is one to watch. 21 years old, injury free now and getting swole. Great athlete and his job is simplified by in-control vets on the perimeter. Sobey, Gliddon, Braun, Singler, Patterson, Cadee all have experience and can make plays with and without the ball. Of all teams in the league, they most have their shit together, despite Andrej coming in late from WC.
And big thanks to Adelaide for giving Sobey a year at the point before he left

Reply #767678 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Manu

What is swole?

I'm guessing you got auto co-wrecked, but I’d love to know what you meant.

Alright?

My take on Illawarra is that they could push for 4th (I think top 3 is set).

Scenario 1. Their younger players will improve and play more minutes as their older players start to slow over the season.
Scenario 2. Or their younger players will be found out and join their older players in diminished performance.

Bottom line is their final placing will be interesting

Reply #767683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoping for a SEM win. Can't stand the Bullets.

Reply #767686 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

UTH, swole means muscular. Jacked, beefy and thewy are other fun words that mean the same

Reply #767687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manure with the obscure words.
Well done Manure.

Reply #767690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't understand how Cairns put their side together, Kelly had first hand knowledge of Melbourne’s bench players, surely Smith-Milner, Adnam, Moller and even Jurlina who played in Cairns are better than Krislovic, Djeric and Deng. Cairns should get their Australian contingent right and get two good imports around them. Jawai was a good start but the rest looks poor. Kelly was such a good defensive player and he picks these blokes and others.

Reply #767691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry ^^^ wrong place.

Reply #767693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is replacing Tai Wesley?

Reply #767701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hickey

Reply #767706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so who starts at PF

Reply #767708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry about question I no Creek at 4 do you bring in Stephens at the3

Reply #767709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullets by eight, Patterson to show how good he is.

Reply #767710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd go small ball without Wesley - Brisbane aren’t big

Reply #767711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pineau really shouldn't be starting in this league.

Reply #767718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hardly anyone in the crowd wearing SEM merch

Reply #767720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnay with the stuff... nasty!

Reply #767721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's up with Gaze’s Terry Armstrong allusions?

Reply #767722 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

My guess is Phoenix realised Armstrong's game wasn't all that great so he wasn't a rotation player. He pouted, so they sat him even more. Armstrong told his management that he wants out of Australia, so will be on a plane soon

Reply #767724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good game, Phoenix going a lot better than I expected, certainly without Wesley.

Reply #767725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

twitch has 400,000 views

Reply #767727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Decent game so far. Brisbane came out strong and looked like they would dominate the game but lost their intensity in the 2nd quarter. Patterson keeping them in the game.

Phoenix look really undermanned without Wesley but are holding their own thanks to Creek and Roberson who are clearly going to be 2 of the leagues elite players this year.

Not sure why Pineau is getting barbs, he's clearly worked hard to get his body in shape and is providing intensity. That’s why he’s getting minutes over the underwhelming Benson. He clearly needs to go if they want to contend.

One thing clearly lacking by the Phoenix is their game day entertainment. It’s literally light years behind United’s. The cheer squad are clearly amateurs and the half time entertainment was rubbish. They will need to work on that if they want to attract larger crowds and become sustainable long term

Reply #767728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No barbs at Pineau, he's just not skilled enough to be starting. Benson also starting the 3rd.

Reply #767729 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

They're certainly not shy on blasting continuous music at SEM.

Reply #767731 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Those are total views I think of the channel, so all games ever streamed. About 250 watching this particular game.

Reply #767733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is Phoenix's stadium?

Reply #767734 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

"They will need to work on that if they want to attract larger crowds and become sustainable long term"

ROFL

As if that's what’s going to bring in paying fans or casuals or whatever. Surely it’s the icing on the cake, not the actual cake.

Reply #767735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne Arena. Same as United.

Braun for Brisbane is awful!
He's playing the 4 and he’s about 6-3, 6-4 max.
He needs to go too.

Reply #767736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where do you find a box score?

Reply #767737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox arena is there home in maybe 2 years.

Reply #767738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL Website they talked about a replacement for Wesley any guess who

Reply #767739 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

6,000 is a good crowd first up

Reply #767740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek is a weapon. NBA ready

Reply #767741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Benson should be gone too.

Reply #767742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good game, fire that DJ and please ban the crowd heyo reply thing from all sports please

Reply #767743 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Mitch Creek 53 points in two games for the Phoenix! Well deserved success for him, but as a Sixers fan, I just shake my head at management losing him just as he hits his prime.

Reply #767744 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Standard 36ers management

Reply #767745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not yet for Benson because there winning but Braun should go, Bullet should go after Quinney Miller or Anthony Brown both of them are playing with Melb United against the Clippers and the Kings

Reply #767746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane, same old same old. Some of there name players just don't turn up, no matter how much the commentary teams talk there mates up.

Reply #767748 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

SEM @$9.50 for the Championship seems like absurdly good value

Reply #767749 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

but as a Sixers fan, I just shake my head at management losing him just as he hits his prime.

The Sixers Management do have things to answer for but on Creek do they?

He left to go to Europe / NBA, the club did pursue the crazy injunction but that was after he had left with no guarantees of coming back to the NBL let alone the Sixers.

It was a d!ck move but he was as good as gone.

Reply #767750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have said it twice already. Brisbane aren't that good. SEM I don't believe are that good.
Happy to be wrong but they (Phoenix) need to play a contender.
Scoring 113 shows you how bad the Bullets are. SEM letting the Bullets score 93 isn't good either.
Tomorrow we have the cellar dwellers battle. Cairns Vs Hawks. Ho hum.

Reply #767751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"SEM @$9.50 for the Championship seems like absurdly good value"

Losing your money is never good value

Reply #767752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEM to win it all @$9.50. Everyone is dreaming. The bookings and the deluded punters.

Reply #767762 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bullets were playing their third game in a week too. Hard to gauge both sides this early in the season.

Reply #767765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah good thing they don't play NBA idiot.

Reply #767766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are United not a contender?

Reply #767768 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Add sufficiently handed to Brisbane today. They need to SACK PLAYERS right now or something. Hugely CONCERNING

Reply #767775 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Ass*

Reply #767777 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You're taking the piss

Reply #767781 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Few hours ago.....

Buzzas to blow them off the court.

Now...
hey need to SACK PLAYERS right now or something. Hugely CONCERNING

Spoken like a true Cairns supporter.

Reply #767785 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

He bailed on the Taipans and then tried to bandwagon on an imaginary bullet train.

Reply #767794 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha you pricks actually think I was serious. CRISIS!!!

Should I spell wOrDs lIKe tHiS so lovebroker understands sarcasm or?

Reply #767802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu's right though... they need to seriously consider making some changes. Braun (isn’t he supposed to be 6-7"!?) effectively gave them nothing and Singler not much more.
But it’s not just the two underwhelming imports... outside of Patterson, Sobey and the really promising Magnay, the Bullets stunk.
Gliddon barely sighted, Hodgson a no show, Cadee awful (no surprise). These three guys are experienced players... they need to step up

Reply #767803 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Talk crap.
Get called out.
Ohh....I was being sarcastic LELZ.

Manu's Modus Operandi.

Reply #767809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu needs to wipe his mouth with toilet paper he talks so much shit.

Reply #767810 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

No, you're right lovebroker. The last post was not the truth, this post is. I was just SO UNHAPPY with the boys performance this afternoon. Do I think players need to be SACKED? YES. No point wasting time being MEDIOCRE. Buzzas season promised so much and I can see it slipping away

Reply #767818 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Just change teams again if Bullets are mediocre? You did so with the Taipans.

Reply #767820 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Bullets need Vukona far more than they should but will be interesting to see how much they use him and his hustle and rebounding and leadership.

Not impressed by Singler and as for Braun, I'm sorry I don't remember anything he did during that game.

Stephens is an absolute asset and every team should have chased him hard during the off season.

Really enjoyed Roberson and I wonder how quickly commentators will be enamored with his play like they are Casper Ware.

Reply #767824 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I still support the Taipans but am afraid they won't be top 4 again this year, like the Bullets. Concerning times for Queensland basketball. Really worried PW

Reply #767840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not writing Brisbane off yet but it was a shit performance after a good start. Phoenix without Wesley were very good. Roberson and Creek excellent, good team balance with all players contributing. Stephens shot the ball well but has to work on his defence.

Reply #767852 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Probably prefer refs to be reactive rather than proactive with new imports.
Good to see Roberson play this game.
(Would like to see Griffin play for 36ers)

Reply #767881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southeast Melbourne - looked very good but Brisbane's d was awful. Creek is a tough match up for anyone - too fast for bigs, too strong for most wings/guards. Roberson and Stephens can really shoot the ball. Madgen was solid too on the wing. A very good win for them considering Wesley is out. They still need to upgrade on Benson to beat the likes of Perth and Sydney in the playoffs.

Brisbane - Outside of Patterson and Sobey had too many pedestrians. Singler is solid as a 3rd import but they should upgrade on Braun for a Wiley/Griffin/Tate type player they got killed on the boards. Vukona will help when healthy.

Reply #767893 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Lovebroker, leaving aside all the accusations back and forth, we failed to get a commitment from him on his return from the NBL and now he is playing like an MVP for the Phoenix! That's an absolute disaster if you want to be a successful team.

Reply #767894 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:06 am, Thu 30 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754