Isaac
Years ago

Ben Simmons vs Brooklyn, Jan 20

Ben Simmons tied a career high with 34 points and added 12 rebounds and 12 assists, carrying the Philadelphia 76ers to a 117-111 victory over the Brooklyn Nets on Monday.

Announced as the Eastern Conference player of the week during the game, Simmons got a good start on winning the next week's award, too. He shot 12 for 14 from the field in his career-best fifth straight game with 20 or more points, finishing with his fourth triple-double of the season.
Added 5 steals and 2 blocks. 10/14 FT too.

He's averaging 20/10/8 in January.

Topic #46759 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes he has hit some top form. He is dominating while Embiid is out injured. Begs the question about how he and Embiid impact each others game!

Reply #787934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Monster game for Ben Simmons in the win over the Nets:
34 points on 12-of-14 shooting,
12 rebounds,
12 assists,
5 steals,
2 blocks

Per @bball_ref, Simmons is the first player in NBA history with 34/12/12 and five steals in a single game

Reply #787942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge effort, I hope he makes the all stars game.

Reply #787944 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Any threes though?

Reply #787945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His assists would be through the roof if his team mates who are supposed to 3 point shooters could hit some.

Reply #787946 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Sixers will probably end up having to move one or the other (Embiid or Simmons). And as much as it hurts me to say it, if I'm the Sixers id be keeping Embiid.

Reply #787948 | Report this post

No threes brother.

Reply #787949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"His assists would be through the roof if his team mates who are supposed to 3 point shooters could hit some."

His team's wins would be through the roof if the guy who was supposed to work on his 3 point shot all off season would shoot some.

Reply #787953 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think most of us can forsee 76ers playing and Simmons, Brown in the spotlight with potentially one traded other fired.

IMO 76ers wouldn't receive value for Simmons - they really need to make it work. Simmons and Embiid need to be the two 'high volume' ball users with players around them capable of doing the little things: knocking down open threes, defending the perimeter, good solid rebounding/effort - offensive rebounds are a plus.

Reply #787959 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"His team's wins would be through the roof if the guy who was supposed to work on his 3 point shot all off season would shoot some."

Agreed. It's not about NBA Fascination of everyone must hit threes, it's about adding a weapon that keeps defenders open and forces the defence to spread out.

That not only makes space for Simmons to drive and forces players out of position when he does, it makes space for Embiid in the paint.

Otherwise, at the moment defenders go "oh we will pick our poison and make out of form three point shooters shoot threes, and we will sit in the paint and defend Embiid"

Reply #787960 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

keeps defenders honest*

Reply #787961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He doesn't even need to hit them at a high rate. The fact he isn't shooting gives the defenders a free pass.

Reply #787968 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

100%

Reply #787971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With all the evidence pointing to takes being a greater gravitational influence than makes, his refusal to launch is a huge issue.

I think 76ers 'value' for Simmons is relative. If he's not going to help you make the finals because his fit with Embiid is poor, and you can trade him for lesser players who fit better, that might not be dollar value but it makes your team better. That's the sort of move they'll be constantly looking for.

Reply #787976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Philly is 5 and 2 since Embiid has been out. Would they have be 5 and 2 if Embiid was playing and Simmons was out over the same period?

Reply #787978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they played the same weak opposition, probably.

Reply #787979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see Olgun is back to saying Simmons doesn't need a jumpshot now. He flip flops more than Simmons did in the WC lead up.

Reply #787980 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I guess what Simmons has, is that X factor, being the type of star talent he is and his abilities.

They may well benefit from trading for lesser player that 'fits' better, but it probably wouldn't help them break that ceiling in the playoffs where stars and X factors can make the difference.

That's not to say Simmons has displayed that or will, but he is more likely to have that in him than whomever 76ers receive for him.

Tbh I don't think Embiid as a centre piece is enough to produce a championship team, it has to be that Boston style 3 stars.

Reply #787982 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Agree, and Embiid will be more injury-prone. I'd keep Simmons.

Reply #787989 | Report this post

Could've capped off game of his career with a three pointer.

Reply #788013 | Report this post

he just aint shooting thr33s to keeps it fair otherwise he the goat

Reply #788020 | Report this post

Yeah becoming the Aussie goat for sure.

Reply #788022 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:06 am, Mon 20 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754