JaydenRule
Two years ago

Comparing the levels of basketball in the USA to Australia

How would you best compare the levels of basketball in Australia to that of the USA?

Would High School Varsity be equivalent to that of VC in the VJBL? higher or lower? maybe VJL 1 or 2?

Would D3 NCAA be equivalent to the Big V and NBL1 equivalent to D2 NCAA roughly?

Topic #50700 | Report this topic

+  
Two years ago

big variables - college teams have toured here - possibly not at full strength and I believe won most games. Aussie tour teams have been rep teams and toured the states at high school level and been torched. Really depends on how strong the high school is - you can't compare just too bigger contrasts. I go by teh players - i.e. if an Aussie player is getting 20 ppg and 10 boards in NCAA Div 1 and I know that player and their skills - I then have an idea on the standard of competition.

Reply #906937 | Report this post

The Big Duke  
Two years ago

From my experience I would say that the GOOD NBL1 teams would not have an issue competing with most D1 schools outside of maybe the top 25. College players are 18-22 and lack physical stature and experience at that age. Most of the good NBL1 teams are filled with players that have college or NBl/NBl dp experience.

US high school and college training frequency and game preparation is done much more extensively then in Aus. I think that is the reason the US high school athletes are ahead in their development compared to here at that age.

Reply #906943 | Report this post

Esky68  
Two years ago

Been around the scene in SA for 15 odd years and have friends/friends' kids playing in the US in high school and college

I'd say High school varsity is about the same as u21 div 1 here on average, obviously super elite schools in america are much above that (IMG, Montverde etc) and pretty hard to gauge what they would be, the above average high school varsity team is probably about the same as 18s div 1 here and the average high school varsity team would be around 18.2s here

the low-mid D3 NCAA would be like the top 8 in SDL1 mens (just below NBL1 reserves) which is equivalent to Big V Div 1 in terms of competition tier

mid-high D3s and low-mid D2s would be like stronger NBL1 reserves teams/Big V champs and mid-high D2s would be about the same as NBL1 teams with no imports

No SA NBL1 team can compete with even average level D1 colleges, thats just the harsh reality

Just my views from watching a lot of ball, no real scientific metrics

Reply #907218 | Report this post

Esky68  
Two years ago

My basis with the D1 colleges is based off of the COE(basically a full team of mid-high D1 players) coming over to play NBL1 wildcard games and wiping the floor with every team they played against

Reply #907223 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:34 pm, Mon 20 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754