Ethics101
Last year

BV said NO to Hawthorn Magic to Jrn domestic , now EDJBA ?

BV stipulated to Hawthorn Magic that they were not allowed to run a junior domestic comp in the Boroondara area, after the financial issues and mismanagement of previous committee.

Now Hawthorn are partitioning BV to allow Hawthorn Magic to enter Rep teams in the EDJBA, which is a domestic space . This has already been rejected once.

Surely entering Rep team in EDJBA (domestic) grass roots basketball goes against everything - community basketball stands for??

Just another attempt at money grabbing!

Topic #50936 | Report this topic

a5ian nbl fan  
Last year

Hawthron are playing rep this season they got " money somehow "

Reply #912763 | Report this post

Bballcoach97  
Last year

Money grabbing? Really?

You've obviously got some sort of involvement with a particular club that didn’t benefit from hawthorn staying alive.

Giving kids more opportunities to play basketball in any capacity is a good thing. That’s why they have divisions to allow for teams to compete at similar levels.

Don’t be that person that tries to stop more kids from playing more basketball. It’s good for everyone no matter what!

Be better.

Reply #912764 | Report this post

Here we go again...

I am genuinely surprised that any association would want to take this punt given the very recent history. I also thought BV guidelines were that Hawthorn Magic, or the Hawthorn association were not to go down this path?

Should Hawthorn actually be going down this road, the personal view is that maybe that's the space they belong in instead of rep. Their rep program has been decimated and with Camberwell, Bulleen and ringwood just there perhaps the elite pathway doesn’t need another player in the area? I think BV felt that way too but lawyers got involved. Can’t remember the details.

Agree participation is key. But the Hawthorn model almost had basketball in the area fall in a hole. Why would we want to open that can of worms up again.

Reply #912765 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Last year

@ Bballcoach97 - I am all for more kids on court and participation. Especially after the last couple of years and everythig kids have had to deal with relating to the pandemic.

My issue is with Magic expecting the Rep player who already play domestically in other teams within EDJBA / Boroondara Comp for other domestic Clubs, to leave those teams and be required to play for a Magic Club in EDJBA, if they still want to play Rep at Hawthorn.

These kids have already gone through enough! WE finally have stability - why mess with it!

Reply #912769 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I agree with you, Ethics

I'm sure there’s parents with a bit of ego and lots of money pushing the Hawthorn bid, where the kids are just pawns in this political sh*tfest

Reply #912774 | Report this post

Surely BV are not ok with it?
Wonder if there is any overlap of interest there between boards.
Not going to name names but google quickly highlights a couple of edjba decision maker/hawthorn facilitator overlaps.
I guess the question is, does BV think it's ok that Hawthorn run business in this space. They previously said 'no’.
And let’s not beat around the bush, that area isn’t short of options so this is an arrogance thing.

Again.
The lawyered up tail wagging the money motivated dog

Reply #912780 | Report this post

Baller23  
Last year

Think bigger picture. Rep basketball is meant to be next tier. Hawthorn, in its current state, is a mess. Camberwell appear to be thriving. Because hawthorn fell over? Maybe a little bit, but that wasn't anyone’s fault but Hawthorns. Don’t think any of the major players at the time of the collapse stuck around for the love of the club. Why is that I wonder?

Reply #912781 | Report this post

Asthetic  
Last year

Don't eltham play their rep teams in this competition as domestic teams also?

Reply #912782 | Report this post

NEMelb  
Last year

Magic have teams in Rep this year, and kids and families could have stayed to play at Magic, but how many did? Tells you a lot about the culture of the place, doesn't it? Love to see the number of kids that transferred out of Magic, when they all could have stayed.

Reply #912798 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Last year

@NEMelb alot of people have left done to 23 teams , only 6 girls team.

Magic had around 50 odd teams in there hay day, teams use to run with 10 kids , now 7-8 kids.

Reply #912803 | Report this post

hoopie  
Last year

I'd like to see the distribution of teams across age groups now versus the age groups before the big stink.

Is it more concentrated at the younger end now, because the older players went elsewhere?

Reply #912811 | Report this post

NEMelb  
Last year

Numbers of teams aren't drastically different compared to last year (maybe to previous years) and most impact has been in girls in terms of team numbers. But looks like they may only have 1 VC team - under 12 boys. That tells the true story, as they haven’t been able to keep onto their most talented players in the older age groups. It’s a rebuild. Main thing is that all these teams represent kids playing basketball and that’s a great thing - I agree with the views above - need to make sure there are avenues for the kids to play and who cares if Magic have a team in domestic really (so long as they don’t require the kids to play for their domestic team and are graded appropriately).

12 Boys
2022 - 6
2023 - 5

12 Girls
2022 - 4
2023 - 1

14 Boys
2022 - 6
2023 - 6

14 Girls
2022 - 4
2023 - 3

16 Boys
2022 - 4
2023 - 5

16 Girls
2022 - 4
2023 - 2

18 Boys
2022 - 2
2023 - 2

18 Girls
2022 - 2
2023 - 0

20 Boys
2022 - 1
2023 - 2

20 Girls
2022 - 1
2023 - 0

Reply #912822 | Report this post

MinimumChips$2  
Last year

@ Bballcoach97 - Giving kids more opportunities? how? If kids want to play domestic they just join any existing club. Don't forget there is already a club in the area in the EDJBA - Balwyn Blazers.

This just has negative vibes all over it, but what would you expect from HM...

Reply #912830 | Report this post

Ethics101  
Last year

The president of EJDBA is also the Secretary at Balwyn Blazers , so go figure how the decision of allowing Magic to enter Rep teams into EDJBA was voted in .....

Reply #912833 | Report this post

Captain88  
Last year

Camberwell have four feeder teams in the EDJBA, it was silly to think it would go any other way.

Reply #912910 | Report this post

Far Kew Hoops  
Last year

Saw a Facebook a post about Hawthorn Magic joining EDJBA and thought, I bet there are clowns on Hoops.com all butt hurt about this. So popped on over and was not disappointed.

If you don't want to be involved with Hawthorn Magic then play elsewhere.

EDJBA probably the best run junior basketball association in Melbourne.

Reply #912928 | Report this post

MinimumChips$2  
Last year

@ Far Kew Hoops

"If you don't want to be involved with Hawthorn Magic then play elsewhere."

Isn't that what the HBA said to it's domestic clubs?

Reply #912937 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:08 pm, Thu 30 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754