Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Sandy Blythe

According to BA, Sandy Blythe, one of the all-too-few wheelchair basketballers in Australia with a reasonably high public profile, has died: link.

There was also a small snippet on the Age website (subscription required) today about it, saying he had taken his own life.

Topic #5212 | Report this topic

allyoop  
Years ago

Sandy unfortunately had been battling chronic fatigue and depression. Sadly he did take his own life in Melbourne on Friday Night. Funeral to be held in Melbourne this Thursday.

Reply #59670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been honoured to see Sandy play wheelchair basketball national league and also at the Gold Cup and the 2000 Sydney Olympics

tragic loss - thoughts are with his family and the wheelchair basketball community.

Reply #59685 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Wow. Alongside the likes of David Gould, a true champion of the sport. A big loss.

Reply #59696 | Report this post

Arnie Money  
Years ago

As a fellow athlete I went away with Sandy to represent Australia in 1986, 1987 and then Seoul paralympics in 1988. What a great sportsman he was and over all nice guy. Australias wheelchair community has lost one of our finest. Rest in peace Sandy, condolences to your family.

Reply #59728 | Report this post

Joel Murcia  
Years ago

Met him when I was very young. Watched him play wheelchair basketball, was a true athlete. RSP

Reply #319215 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:50 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754