Isaac
Years ago

Christmas Eve accident

Terrible news recently with a loss to SA basketball - Centrals U12G Div 1 player Haley Centenera (10 years old) was killed in a car accident on Christmas Eve. Her sister, Genna Centenera, is in a serious condition in hospital.

I have been told that their parents are big supporters of the Lions and all four of their children have played junior basketball with Centrals (Genna, Justine, Jordan and Haley).

Please spare a thought for the loss experienced by this family.

Topic #5646 | Report this topic

Joe Morgenstern  
Years ago

Commiserations to the family, no one likes to lose a child or family member and especially at this time of the year.

A lot of things have been said in regards of Centrals but one thing is for sure everyone involved with the CDBC will rally behind the family and help out in anyway.

Reply #63796 | Report this post

justin wilkey  
Years ago

Just wanted to say that the father of Hayley (julian) sponsors both myself and Jye Watson for Centrals, its a huge loss and leaves a hole in my heart, for anyone that knew little hayley she was a ball of life and its so tragic. Such a beautiful life taken from us so prematurely, please have the family in your thoughts and prayers. We will never forget your smiles Hails!!!!

Reply #63797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hayley was such a gorgeous girl. Everytime she ran past you she always had a smile on her face. i think she had won a lot of hearts with the older boys, she was always running up to them and play fighting or picking on them in fun :)
"A lot of things have been said in regards of Centrals but one thing is for sure everyone involved with the CDBC will rally behind the family and help out in anyway"
This is so true....
She will be mised so much not only by her parents but everyone who is with centrals.

Reply #63801 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Sure puts things into perspective. Basketball, and all clubs for that matter, are about supporting one another and obviously the CDBC community are doing all they can. What a tragic accident. I don't know Hayley or her family but know of one her good friends who is missing her terribly. A very popular girl who will be sadly missed. My thoughts are also with her sister and family.

Reply #63824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i heard that her sister was badly injured in the accident does anyone know how she is going

Reply #63829 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

2 recent tragic road deaths within the Basketball SA community (Barb Dunn and Hayley Centenera) helps put life into some real perspective.

Please, think of your family, friends, basketball buddies, and SLOW DOWN!

As a former ambulance officer, the true tragedy of road accidents is never known unless you have lost someone, or held someone in your arms on the roadside as they pass away.

Please, especially the kids/teenagers who read this forum, if your in a car with mates, and they aren't driving safe, get them to stop, get out the car and ring your parents, or someone you trust to come and get you. We don't need anymore senseless deaths!!

Reply #63834 | Report this post

kb  
Years ago

....our thoughts and Prayers are with you all.....

sincerely,

the brooks/woodville/academy/36er families

Reply #63886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thoughts are with all at CDBC and for Hayley and Genna's immediate family.

Hayley RIP
Genna - I pray for a full recovery for you.

Reply #64067 | Report this post

juliancentenera  
Years ago

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. The support from everyone has been overwhelming especially from CDBC. Genna has a long road to recovery but she is a strong young lady and should make it. The family will miss hayley beyond comprehension, she was truly a little angel. Please include Jade Williams (Genna's best friend) in your thoughts and prayers. She too lost her life in the same accident. She was a beautiful young lady and will be sorely missed.

Reply #64269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Genna my thoughts are with you and hope you have a full recovery! Hails you will be sadly missed but every time I think of you I have a smile on my face. I'll never be able to have an Ice Coffee without thinking of you.

Reply #64417 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

my prayers go out to Genna and her family, i didn't know Hayley but i met Genna a few times through Jade Williams and thought she was a wonderful girl. i hope you have a swift recovery Genna, its going to be hard but dont give up girl! I dont know if you believe in heaven, but have faith that where ever Hayley is Jades looking after her!

Reply #66853 | Report this post

drive safe!!!  
Years ago

To all teenagers
never believe you are invincible because that's not the case! being a good driver only comes with experience. not enough drivers, especially new drivers know what to do if things go wrong when their driving and people think only of their own driving. unfortunately you can't trust everyone else on the road to drive safely, so you have to drive as if other drivers wont do the right thing. I would recommend to all drivers that if they can afford it take a defensive driving course, it will save your life better then any air bag ever will!

Reply #66856 | Report this post

pureballer  
Years ago

just wondering on the progress of genna?

Reply #68031 | Report this post

Bree  
Years ago

I went to school with Hayley and she was the most beautiful, bubbly girl i have ever known. My sister was friends with Jade and when we both found out we were devistated. I hope Jenna has had a good recovery, and i wish all the best to the Centenera family. Hayley was a beautiful girl and it is such a sad loss.

Reply #219191 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:48 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754