Isaac
Years ago

Breakers end Kings home streak

The Kings rested injured CJ Bruton at their peril and gave up their undefeated at home tag - the playoff-missing NZ Breakers have beaten them in Sydney 115-104.

Rich Melzer had 28 and Brian Green 27.

They didn't have their full squad and I'm sure they spread the minutes, but is anyone a touch less scared of the reigning champs now?

Topic #5971 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

Breakers defeat Kings in Syndey - WOW - I never thought I'd live the day to see that. The Kings are starting to crumble under pressure. That has to make you feel good.

Reply #67796 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

The game meant nothing to the Kings, Breakers playing with alot of heart of late and want the win a lot lot more, plus they have seem to have finally got the import mix right.

Reply #67799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Breakers played really well. An entirely different outfit to their last visit in Sydney. They wanted it BAD and could tell that the Kings were only 1/4 paying attention through the first half. Even though they were down you got the feeling the Kings just figured they could turn it up just a slight notch when necessary and still win, but they underestimated how well the Breakers could actually play and how much they were going to fight for it. The Kings were without two starters, and for most of the game were just going through the motions to the point where when it came time to turn it up they simply were too unfocused for too long and couldn't put it together. From that came clear frustration and stupid stuff ups. The Breakers were hot and determined, took advantage and deservedly punched them away for a great win.

As a Kings fan there was nothing worrying about it though. The Kings underestimated their opponent, to the point where Goorjian has admitted the team didn't prepare for the game at all and he didn't even view any tape of the two imports (who did most of the damage at both ends) until 2hrs before the game. The team, like probably virtually everyone around the League, seemed to just assume it would be a walk in the park. The game didn't mean a thing outside of getting that 'undefeated at home tag'. They f*cked up, but I don't think it reflects anything more outside of a lack of motivation and effort. I think Cairns will cop it next weekend as a result.

If this Breakers squad had been together since the start of the season, they'd be a dangerous team now. They're a legit line up at the moment and deserved that win.

Reply #67803 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Results like this do NOT help with tipping. I call the Breakers' form in the Kings game the "Baghdatis Halo Effect".

Now who do I tip in the Breakers-Tigers game in NZ on Wednesday? They play each other again in NZ on Saturday - do I tip NZ in the first game, riding on the high of beating the Kings, then get on Melbourne to get one back in the second game?

Or, do I tip Melbourne to return the Breakers to reality in the first game, and then NZ to work out a game plan to take out the Tigers in the second?

Or, (like I would have had the Kings played properly and thumped the Breakers) do I just go with the head and go the Tigers to win both?

Or, putting faith in the Baghdatis Halo Effect, do I tip NZ to win both?

Reply #67804 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

I wouldn't read much into sydney losing - their wheels are still firmly attached to their wagon.

Reply #67823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tip the Tigers. The Kings regular season ended 48hrs before that game, and they got caught relaxing a little too far. In the first half it would not have been surprising to see players on the Kings bench drinking beers, or Ben Knight to sneak in a quick ciggy during a time out.

When was the last time you saw Goorjian yawning and smiling with his team 10 down?

They decided to turn it up a notch way too late and couldn't save it, but it was their fault entirely and nothing should be read into it.

Reply #67828 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:12 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754