Anonymous
Years ago

Robinson wins dunk comp for 2006

Robinson beat igoudala or however you spell his name.

They did the FIRST EVER TIE IN HISTORY IN THE FINAL!!!!!!

Robinson should of lost after adrea's spectacular first/second round dunk. IMPRESSIVE!!!! From behind the backboard!

But Robinson did some really good dunks for a 5'9

Then robinson had about 11 goes at trying to do a really skillful play but never pulled it off. Everyone wanted him to do it. however he did something similiar.

Smith was terrible...

Topic #6269 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

AI Number 2 should have won it!

They both put on a great show and the little guy has got some massive hops, but Ig's dunk from dehind the backboard was MASSIVE!!!

Smith ruined it by placing the tape down for his step-launch, made everyone think like he was going to take off from some CRAZY distance!

Reply #70773 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Iggy should have won, and lets not take anything away from Nate - he did some good dunks, and that one over Spud was huge with a capital H, but I think the judges took too much notice of how tall/short he was and just said, 'Hey, that would've been an 7 for all the other guys, but he gets a 10 'coz he's little.'
Chris Andersen was bagged and bagged because he took so many shots to get his dunks down, and this year, the Andersen of the group won.
Sure his dunks were more spectacular, but how does he win when he takes 15 shots to get a pass right, and finally gets it after making the pass easier?
He ends up beating a guy who not only threw down some of best dunks ever, but who took two shots to get his tie-break dunk, which was WAY better, down?
Andre Igoudala - The Real Dunk Champ 2006.

Reply #70776 | Report this post

bballer  
Years ago

HUGE hops!!! that deserves to win definately!

Reply #70780 | Report this post

Years ago

Two questions we will never get a straight answer for - what was the point of the tape, and did AI2 get conned out of the win or not?

Reply #70781 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

the difference between anderson and robinson was that anderson's throw's were basic lobs for basic dunks, robinson was trying more difficult dunks hence no body really caring. + HE'S 5'9 AND HOW DAMM HIGH DOES HE JUMP!!!

Nate robinson is awesome

Reply #70785 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

The tape was for hist first step, and then the second step came after that for the launch, which was meant to be on the FT line but was a tick past it in the end.

Reply #70786 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

firstly smith isnt crap. he won the dunk comp last year u duckhead. secondly no matter what smith did he would of never made it to the final. the judges and fans all wanted iggy and nate to dunk off in the final. it was a tough comp to judge. what i didnt get is smiths first dunk was a two feet two hand foul line dunk and it only got 41? piss off kenny.

Reply #70791 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Is Robinson really 5'9"?

Spud was listed at 5'7" and the 2 standing side by side looked to be the same height

I dont even think he is 5' 9"

Reply #70793 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Cheeze, settle down! And while it was an alright dunk, the tape was the killer. In hindsight, it was pointless, as it was there as a guide and he didnt even use it properly. Everyone thought he was gonna jump from there, and it was a real let down when he didn't take off from there.

Reply #70796 | Report this post

NJNETS  
Years ago

Ashley dusnt look lyk im the only 1 who rekons that NATE deserved this 1

Reply #70798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Warrick? His only two dunks were sick and deserved much better scores. Shouldn't have made the final but should have got much closer

Reply #70799 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

I reckon Nate Deserved it for creativity......thru the legs twice, off the backboard for the dunk

And what impressess me the most is the fact that spud was 133lbs and Nate has alot more bulk to him being listed at 180lbs

The kid has some mad hops

Reply #70800 | Report this post

Man, Iguodala got screwed, massively. How can Robinson pull a 47 with 14 attempts? I dont care if he's 4'7, 14 attempts means a sub-40 score.

Reply #70801 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

iggy wasn't the only one who was robbed, josh smith was. i don't care if the tape was there or not he should have got at least a 49 for a TWO handed foul line dunk. but i agree the judges minds were basically set with the finals being robinson v iggy.

Reply #70807 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

would have liked to see what else warrick could do aswell

Reply #70808 | Report this post

Years ago

Warrick's first dunk was pretty smooth I thought. Smith looked so disappointed. He obviously had much bigger things in mind. What amazed me was when they showed the slo-mo replay of the AI-to-AI2 dunk, he fumbles the ball kind of, has to adjust so he doesn't smack his head on the board and still makes it. Just awesome.

Reply #70812 | Report this post

Yeah, because Iverson muffed the pass.... if you look closely it comes off the rubber bit on the backboard. He prob had to re-adjust in midair.

Iggy probably should of saved the off the glass dunk dunk until the second round, to get 2 50's.

Reply #70825 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

That baseline dunk was the best dunk I have ever seen. Beats me as to why he used it in the first round. That bounce pass from Spud to Nate set it all up perfectly. It was just in the right position for Robinson to cock it back and slam it down. Very entertaining dunk comp.

Reply #70868 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Smith jumped from the foul line two handed dunk and only got a 41?

What the?

This reminds me of a Kenny skywalker 360 dunk from just inside the circle and only getting a 43 when it looked much more difficult to pull off.

Reply #70881 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

ELG.....there is no limit to the attempts.......on the dunk off, AI jnr didnt even think of coming up with something creative

you must admit Nate has some fair hops for someone his height

Man, i wish i had his, spuds, or muggsy's leap when i was playing

At 5'7" i was rapt to touch the backboard on a layup.....even if it was just my fingers...LOL

Reply #70893 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

For those without Foxtel (be warned - this has 15 pictures of Robinson and Spud - it's a long post but has some great pics):

Reply #70894 | Report this post

I wasn't impressed with that dunk at all.... i mean he has to jump that high to dunk the ball anyway!! Why not put someone under there!! ha ha

Felzington: Creative? Iggy's last 4 dunks were dunks no one had ever seen before. All Robinson did was chuck it off the backboard

Reply #71144 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

OK, here's a question for someone who has the time to find the answer out:

is there a world record for the shortest person to dunk a regulation 10-foot ring unaided? It could be either in a game, or solo.

I have a feeling that whatever the answer is, I'll be bloody impressed.

Reply #71257 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

anyone know what kind of vertical leap the guy has?

Reply #71359 | Report this post

tyron jones  
Years ago

man, im 5' 4" and i can dunk on a regulation 10 foot hoop i got a 41" vertical

Reply #129209 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:14 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754