DRAGONS
Years ago

Second Adelaide team bidding for Pirates license

Someone that claims to be in the know has said there is a group from South Australia bidding for the Hunter license to have a second adelaide team. Anyone from here know anything bout it ? Could you guys support a second team?

Topic #6283 | Report this topic

Joe M  
Years ago

Yep I guess

Depending on who was involved and who was not. Over the last 3 or 4 year as a supporter of the Sixer I have felt ostracized and basically used simple as a cash cow that would continue to hand over season ticket funds.

Where has the marketing and sales pitch been that a consumer need to see improvement in the product they are selling, Adelaide United do it quite well, the Adelaide Crows have strategies in place to continue to entice supporter to sign up year after year, and even Port Adelaide Power have sent me membership information to try and buy a 2006 season ticket (over my dead body) but I just feel like it is being expected that member will sign up like sheep year after year. So yes I would seriously consider supporting a new entity from Adelaide or at least listen to them.

Reply #70908 | Report this post

Mr Peabody  
Years ago

This will not happen.

Reply #70909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not Mr Peabody.

I hope it does, at least BASA will have to lift their game with the 36ers.

And I agree with Joe M, depending on who it was running it and what team they got, I would look at jumping ship.

The key for them is to "snatch" a couple of 36ers, maybe Dusty and Oscar?

Reply #70914 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Don't BSA have the right of veto for a second team in Adelaide?

Reply #70917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe the team owners vote for it and the Majority wins.

A two game layover in Adelaide would be cheaper and easier (travel wise).

Reply #70934 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Could the NBL allow this to happen?

The sixers are struggling financially depending on who you listen to at the time and to threaten their survival with a cross town competitor does not make sense to me.

Two teams in Melboure died and it took Mc Peakes Asian connections to keep the Tigers afloat.

2 teams in a city half the population of Melbourne and some people think Adelaide will support 2 teams?

My money is on Bob Turner taking the licence to Singapore.

Reply #70938 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mott, I asked someone about that and they didn't think so.

Reply #70939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the arguement about about Melbourne is a valid one, they have like 3M people and struggle with one team.

But Cairns has like 100,000 and pack their stadium.

I think the smaller the place and the less things to do, the more chance a team has. City's like Adelaide and Perth are the perfect places for basketball.

As for a second team and it hurting the 36ers. I think that the management of the 36ers have ruined basketball to a certain degree and with some competition, they would surely need to make their product a better one to stay alive.

If the new team does all the things BASA don't, then they would get a lot of support.

Reply #70940 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I think Adelaide is in the middle-ground here. In Cairns, Townsville etc. they don't generally have too many national sporting teams. Rugby & hoops, that's about it. In Adelaide (and Perth, for that matter) we have 2 X footy, soccer, cricket etc. on top of basketball, so there's much more competition. Neither Adelaide or Perth have the population (which is considerably less than Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane) nor supporter base to support 2 basketball teams.

Yes, the 6ers are & have been mismanaged, and yes, they've lost themselves quite a few supporters in recent years, but I don't know that there's enough fans to support a new break-away side, as well as the 6ers.

Could a new team come in and take the enitre market away from the 6ers? Maybe, but I wouldn't like their chances.

Reply #70943 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

I don't understand comments such as

"need to see improvement in the product they are selling"

"need to make their product a better one to stay alive"

You can't win it every year. Only two teams have a better product than the 36ers, and they are in the Grand Final.

And I guarantee a new team will not give you a better product than the team we had on the court this season.

Reply #70944 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac, I had some memory of this when spoken about many years ago.

I think if this were to go ahead, they would need to link the team to an existing club as did the Power with Port Adelaide. That way they would have a ready-made supporter base, perhaps even three combined teams. Sturt, Forestville and West come to mind. I do not think this would be good for SA basketball, by the way.

Reply #70947 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

You all forget that Adelaide did indeed have two NBL teams

West Adelaide
Forestville Eagles (which was a joint team with NCT by memory)

West won the 1982 premiership but failed to stay in the comp due to financial pressures

ditto the eagles
this caused the formation of the sixers as we know it in 1985

in the haylcon days of basketball we had 3 WNBL teams Noarlunga, North and West all competitive and two NBL sides wth a plethora of SEABL and WBC teams and we failed to fill stadiums it wasn't till the advent of the sixers and Mark Davis, Al Green etc that we started to have sell outs with people clamouring to get a ticket.

when tickets to an event are as rare as hens teeth the more people want to go.

All around Australia not just in Adelaide the great game of basketball is in serious finacial trouble.

Be realistic unless some company/business owners want to lose big money for what ever reason they have (they can throw some my way) they will lose money.

We do not have the population to support another team.

We can't even fill a stadium when the team we currently have as won 4 premierships over a 20 year period

Dream on

Reply #70948 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I've thought outside the square, and come up with a solution which not only fixes this problem but also that of getting the NBL on free-to-air:

Far from 2 teams in Adelaide being too many, it's actually not enough.

What we do is get, say, six teams based in different geographical areas of Adelaide. Then, kind of like My Restaurant Rules, one of these team gets the boot each week (or probably more realistically, each month).

The associated Channel Nine TV show would show the trials and tribulations of trying to get an NBL team up and running, and it would be the viewers of the show who ring the 1900 number to vote for their favourite club - with BSA taking a cut of the profits from the phone line.

*sample scene from show, featuring team CEO and coach huddled around a laptop, gesturing and pointing:

Team CEO: we can't afford that guy, even if you say you think you'll be able to get his points rating as a veteran.

Coach (angrily): You know, all I've encountered from management since the day I've started is this negativity: we can't afford him, it costs too much to practice here, it's always all about the money. What sort of crap basketball club are you trying to run? One that lines your pockets with money or (shouting) ONE THAT WANTS TO WIN? (Turns to camera) Turn that bloody thing off.*

Eventually, we'd get down to the two teams who are the most popular, and they get the licences. The Sixers may not even make it to the final two. ;)

Reply #70961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just on the financial plight of the sixers at the moment - heard that the government has recently pumped another 550k into basa's account to keep things going so they aren't in the red anymore - how much more will it take???

Reply #70964 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

As Dipper would say

$9.99

Reply #70973 | Report this post

kevin  
Years ago

Plenty more from all accounts - bottom has yet to be reached

Reply #70976 | Report this post

DJM  
Years ago

A second Adelaide team may not be viable in the short term, however it would be up against a wounded opponent that is struggling to stay afloat. Who is to say that the second Adelaide team would not become the only Adelaide team if the 36ers were to fall over and need to sell their licence? Given that the 36ers make money, they backer of the second team would only need to plan for a couple of lean years and wait for the State Government to finally pull the financial pin on BASA!

Reply #70995 | Report this post

DJM  
Years ago

Sorry, forgot to add above:

A possible, but not probable outcome if it were my money backing the business! Like well argued before, I would want postive return on my $$$.

Reply #70997 | Report this post

mike r  
Years ago

I believe that if the 36ers/BASA fall over they will lose their license; therefore it isn't an asset as such to sell, not if it defaults back to the NBL

Perhaps that is why Hunter is delaying a decision on its future. Their license is not worth two centsif they are insolvent or cease to exist etc.?

In my opinion, this is why the 36ers will inevitably be sold whilst the Government props up BASA until after the election e.g. so they can sell the asset whilst it is there to be sold!

One other grey spot is that does anyone know what terms were attached in the orginal issue of the license such as a non compete clause preventing the NBL issuing a second license?

I have to agree that two teams out of Adelaide is a long long shot!

Reply #71000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if the second team is privatly owned who cares it has no potential benift to us as the BSA comunnity only a potential loss therefore i think if a second team was to come in (assuming they were to take some supporters) the sixers would need to move to a much less expensive venue one in which they WILL pack out every time they step on the court giving the players a better playing enviroment plus if we are moved to a cheaper stadium and ticket prices were to stay the same that would equal more income to BSA

Reply #71007 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Perhaps it is actually the Sixers who are buying the second licence to merge with the current one, to then be able to afford players for a premiership team going on double points system and double salary cap...

Reply #71037 | Report this post

Fresh  
Years ago

Cant see two teams out of Adelaide myself. People are forgeting that the Nbl would prefer to market the League to places like Far North Qld / Tasmania or Melbourne

Plus where would the team play from ?

North out of Hillcrest
South out of Marion
Centrals out of Starplex

We don't have another suitable venue except the ent centre which would be far to big....

Reply #71073 | Report this post

Mr Hankie  
Years ago

Let them hire the Dome and make money out of them. So they help pay the debt.

Reply #71094 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754