egalitarian
Years ago

Should refs get in the way

I have observed that the higher the standard of basketball, the more officials are likely to ignore the rules of basketball. Basic things like travelling and carrying the ball are seldom called, presumably as it would detract from the flow of the game.

It gets to the stage where it becomes a different game, where the more physical you are the more you are allowed to get away with, which probably suits coaches such as Boy Gorg.

If the umpires started using there whistles and applying the rule book it may bring back a fairer style of basketball which the fans might be able to identify with. It would not take too many calls for travel etc before the players would change their game.

I am not advocating netball style reffing where the umpires seem to have a competition as to who can blow their whistle the most but I do believe that the rules do matter and should not be forgotten no matter what the grade.

Topic #6559 | Report this topic

new tram  
Years ago

unfortunately not everyone is of a single mind set - one wants it one way and one the other

i feel it is about trying to get on the same page

Reply #73785 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

The travel is the call that needs to be addressed. the physicality is no problem as it the same for both teams.
and can be challenged by coaches during the coarse of the game.

Travelling is so fundamental to the sport. The driving off on your pivot foot is the most usual mistake.

Reply #73786 | Report this post

big but  
Years ago

Indiana, I agree with you however the game is umpired on advantage / disadvantage and now even for travels, the umps have to decide if they player has beaten the defence or not???

if they travel but it does not help them (in the back court for example) umpires are encouraged to let it go.

i think most players at a high level understand this and play to what the umps call

most of the time :-)

Reply #73796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

before you start getting on the refs back ask the coaches the way they want the game to be called

the direction the game is called comes from coaches meetings etc, plus the crowd will soon be bored by the wave away the alley oop jam cause the crowd believed there was a travel

take it back to the coaches and get them and the league to instruct the refs to call it tougher but at high level and I am assuming you are talking NBL the crowd is there to watch the spectactle it has gone past just being a game

Reply #73800 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

I think most referees try to implement, the best that they individually can, the principles of ADVANTAGE / DISADVANTAGE. Some can implement them better than others.

And what a coach may see as a DISADVANTAGE might actually be an ADVANTAGE for their team. Why call a hands foul in the back court on a full court pass that goes straight to the open player for an easy lay-up? Or would you rather the referee call the foul, cancel the basket and go into the backcourt to start the play again?

If the pass didn't reach it's target, then by all means, the referee should call the foul, as the team has been put at a DISADVANTAGE. However, if an ADVANTAGE has been gained, in their favour, why bother calling it.

As I said, I think most referees try to implement, the best that they individually can, the principles of ADVANTAGE / DISADVANTAGE. It's just that some can implement them better than others!

Reply #73808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt,

And the Refs would remember what number of fouls the person committing the foul was on??? If he was on 5 and that was his 6th but he let it go for 2 points what is better - the player out of the game or two points?

Or by making the foul call he gets into early foul trouble and needs to change his game to avoid further trouble???

The advantage rule is too ambiguous. Play by the rules; not whimsical interpretations of the rules. Call the fouls: Call the violations. At least people will understand what is going on better.

Reply #73817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt,

The point is that considering the inexperience of the current referee crop. Their understanding od what is an advantge causes the most concern and argumnent from coaches. This is what create's an atmosphere of inconsistancy from referee's. So why not avoid it.

Reply #73834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this topic could go on endlessly we will all having differing opinions.

let the game flow unless the team is at a disadvantage - people will always have their own opinion sometimes depending on the mood they are in, or whether their team is winning or not.

call every infringement the game would go for 4 hrs no players left on court and the crowd would be leaving in droves.

73817 and you can not seriously expect me to believe people know the rules, I've seen aba coaches ask for 3 seconds to be called and their team is in offence.

If everyone knew the rules, there would be more umpires and this endless discussion might die a natural death.

Reply #73835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least they will have half a chance of following the rules if there were not different interpretations of advantage. By the way what is the FIBA regulation covering advantage.

Reply #73841 | Report this post

Bruce Northcote  
Years ago

Refs should not take anything into consideration except the current play, other than to ensure that the way they call THAT PLAY is consistant with similar plays called earlier.

The ref manuals state that the refs should never consider the number of fouls called on a team and/or player in determining advantage/disadvantage.

Hope that helps eliminate the "why not call the foul on them, so that they get in foul trouble" arguments.

Reply #73854 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Bruce so are you saying that if a team is down 10 - 88 with one q to go, the umpires would not consider this when determening that the team which is loosing is likely to loose the ball easier with contact and therefore call less fouls on them (go easy on them)

I am sure refs would do this wouldnt they

Reply #73858 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

I might not be one to comment as I am not a basketball ref but I do ref another sport at a high standard.

At the higher levels, you are instructed to let the game flow and make calls that have an impact on the game. Refs are constantly making decisions every second of the game as not blowing the whistle is also a decision.

Speaking for myself, I am unaware of the amount of calls I make per game and often do not know the final result until the game has finished.

The higher the standard, the quicker the game happens. Sometimes as a ref you are caught out of position or you might be in the right position and a body moves in your field of vision so you miss a call. You also do not want to over ref a game as it becomes more frustrating for players and that is when the game gets out of control.

As I ref, I admit we will miss calls and make a call that people disagree with. Our role is to manage the game to the best of our ability and administer the game in a professional manner.

One thing that is a stand out with basketball ref's in SA is the lack of communication with coaches and players in the game. Ref's have taken the approach of shut up shop and do not speak to anyone. This might be because coaches abuse the ref and automatically the ref gets their back up. Before a game, I will go and speak to the coaches and also the playing group if possible to tell them what we have been told to look for this, what I will be looking for and any questions they might have. I know this would not work at a Junior level, but at the higher level (which this thread is based around) it assists with the playing group.

In answer to egalitarian whom started this thread, my personal opinion is a ref must manage the game to allow for flow and the good intention of the rules to be administered. The ref should be heard and not noticed.

Reply #73869 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

What sport are you umpiring, is it the same philosopy as basketball and is it national or just micky mouse

Reply #73874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Advantage / Disadvantage is a very complexed issue - but can be made simple.

Common Sense!!

Call to 'Manage the Game'
Understand the 'Intent of the Rules'
Allow for a consistent 'Flow of the Game'

all of this is understood in many other sports that you watch on TV.
How many times do you notice these terms also being used in the most recognised sport in our country (AFL).

Gotta say folks - your concerns are about nothing at all.

As for the loonies that jump up and down and say call the foul in the back court that stops a fast break for an easy two points because they're in foul trouble and we will shoot from the line, clearly don't understand the intention of the game - ball in basket = points!!!

Or a Travel where a player catches the ball and changes pivot foot off the start of his dribble just to have it stripped clean out the hands leading to a fast break - ball in basket = points!!!

Or a Very light Double Foul by the two biggest names on the court (making it their 6th foul) who continually GET THE BALL IN THE BASKET = POINTS, where they slip and fall to the floor after a made field goal when there is no rebounds to be had and the game is not on edge.... c'mon apply common sense wipe your tears off the floor with the floor sweapers broom and get on with one of the most fastest and atheletic games in the world - AND ENJOY THE REFS NOT STICKING THEIR NOSE IN WHERE IT AIN'T WANTED!!

Reply #73940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But there is one major difference between basketball and most other sports. Basketball does not have unlimited fouls as most other games. A player can sit out the balance of a game if he transgresses too often. This doesn't happen in other sports. In footy the foul/free is called and then advantage is played. In basketball the call is not made. You might get an easy two points but that is it. If the foul was called you might get a more enduring benefit. I guess we have to agree to disagree.

Reply #73946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But there is one major difference between basketball and most other sports. Basketball does not have unlimited fouls as most other games. A player can sit out the balance of a game if he transgresses too often. This doesn't happen in other sports. In footy the foul/free is called and then advantage is played. In basketball the call is not made. You might get an easy two points but that is it. If the foul was called you might get a more enduring benefit. I guess we have to agree to disagree.

Reply #73947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bruce with comments like that, that is the reason u will never be a good referee. Learn and understand the game first. Oh and playing for uni adel doesnt count. Sorry

Reply #73949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rite at ABL level as in NBL and WNBL level the refs do go and talk to the coaches before the game or at least during the warm up period

they will normally talk to coach of team A then Coach of team B

lower levels it can often be lost in the fact the games themselves are on such a tight time schedule and umpires are often doing multiple games or if they are a senior ref mentoring a youngster time is taken to 'chat' to them.

Reply #73952 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The rules are always changing and being developed. Some rules come in change the way the game is played but dont achieve the result they were intended for (eg. 1 for 1 on 7th team foul), others have stuck around for years and have slowly become modified (eg Cross court, which then became passing back, 30 second shot clock then 24 second clock). Every time the rules change the officials have to change the way they ref just like the players and coaches have to adjust.

One thing is clear, the referees don't make the rules, they just manage them. The referees didn't all sit down one day and say 'lets not call fouls anymore unless they impact on the game'. The game changed and with those changes was an instruction to referees to apply the rules of advantage / disadvantage etc.

FIBA modifies the rules to ensure basketball can be played by everyone in the wider community. They also try to make the game a better spectator sport to allow the people who might not be able to play to receive some sort of enjoyment. This is all done by FIBA, who have played, coached or officiated at the highest level and probably have a better grasp of 'feel for the game' than all of us.

Reply #73955 | Report this post

egalitarian  
Years ago

I might be anally retentive but I cannot see that laziness can be condoned. On many occasions in NBL I have seen the defender not even step out of court to pass in the ball after a score, I have seen guards stop with the ball sitting on their hip before starting off dribbling again and seen four step lay ups all without a whistle being blown.

I believe that if the refs invigilated the rules it would not take too long before the players would realise that they would have to change their ways and not be so slack. These things do not impose on advantage for the team with the ball, maybe the opposite.

Reply #73973 | Report this post

Bruce Northcote  
Years ago

Anon #73949 - how refreshing to see personal slagging hidden behind anonymity.

None of my comments came from personal opinion - merely FIBA publications.

Get your facts straight.

As to my knowledge of the game - I have been playing for 30+ years, and have been members of teams in the 80s/90s that won div 2, but were not allowed to play ABA/div1 merely due to BASA's protection of the member clubs.

Yes, I'm way past my prime now.

Have a nice day.

Reply #73990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

egalitarian

this conversation or discussion could be endless, there will the ones who like me can see no advantage to calling a player out of court

If said player is heavily defended and he/she trangresses the line t will be called because the defence caused the error and if allowed go the will gain an advantage.

if a player is a step or two inside the court (ball drops thru basket and takes the ball in from there) and makes a full court pass that results in possible points the violation will be called - again an unfair advantage has been gained.

if a player is not defended and is just over the line and the defensive player is near the half court or is busy listening to his/her coach WHAT BLOODY DIFFERENCE is there if the player was in or out of court.

Of course you would like the violation to be called, the coaches and players bemused at the call, someone wanting clarification, time wasted explaining players infraction.

Reply #73993 | Report this post

Big But  
Years ago

Bruce, I agree with you there is no need for personal attack however Referees should be seen and not heard, so you dig your own grave a little when you get involvoed with this sort of discussion.

and remember not every call is made from the rule book.

some calls would be made by your head and all that experience playing div2

my opinion is that adv/dis adv is here to stay so we should get with the times and except it!!!

Reply #74005 | Report this post

Glenn S.  
Years ago

Bruce is not the greatest referee in the league but in my opinion he is the best communicator of all the referees, as a coach I always know where I stand with Bruce, and I believe that Bruce knows where he stands with the coaches. If a coach or a player is out of line they will be told but also given a chance to explain their discontent with a situation. If he misses a call he will admit it and he doesn't act like he is above the game.

Often times I am criticised for "having a go" or abusing the officials, that is true I demand a level of excellence from the officials but I am also the first to defend an officials call to my players on court. I have serious issues about the advantage/disadvantage rules as I believe they are too often used to cover the fact that the referee has missed a call or too scared to make a call in a situation. I heard a referee say this week "she got rid of the ball before the foul" this makes no sense to me as the pass was knocked out of court by the opposing team, sure it wasn't a turnover but why not call the foul there is no advantage or disadvantage it that situation

Referees wont get in the way of the game if they roll with it become a part of it without trying to take possession of it. Talk to the coaches but dont justify your calls, there is only one way to answer concerns without any chance of a comeback from a coach. Be in the right spot to to make the right call, make the call and dont second guess your call and when the coach calls you up on it walk over and tell the coach that you were in the right spot and made the right call. I would hope that coaches would not continue to argue after that explanation (I would hope I wouldn't) Being a good referee is easy, be open to criticism, but frim on abuse, the higher the level the thicker your skin needs to be, talk to the participants of the game coaches as well, but dont go looking for friends (you probably wont find any anyway) the only time referees try to justify a call is when they got it wrong and they are trying to save face. and most importantly be athletic enough to run the floor and be in the right spot at the right time.

Call the game as you see it ladies and gentlemen, the coaches will have a spit (thats part of their job), but at the end of the day we will respect the referee that that communicates without being condescending or falling back on someone elses interpretation of an arbitrary rule.

Reply #74028 | Report this post

Big But  
Years ago

Some good points Glen.
I want to ask you about two of your points though......

"being a good referee is easy" have you done it?? and are you sure you think it is easy.

wouldn't you prefere the ref to explain how he/she saw the play rather than simply tell you they were correct???

also, maybe with the feedback you have given on here it would be good for you to attend one of the pre season meetings where all coaches are invited but never ever attend.........

this would stop the abuse in which you openly admit to being a part of at times.

remember not all referees are going to be the best comunicators depending on the level they are at in there development.

cheers

Reply #74032 | Report this post

x player  
Years ago

"Glen", here, here communication is the very important. Too many refs are just cockheads. All refs could learn from the mal coopers, bruce northcotes or even john beames of this world.

73949, who are/what level are you playing at? Assuming you play Div 1 or 2; sorry but playing local basketball doesnt make you the basketball god or the judge referees either. Get a grip mate you play in a league for free, where the average age would be 22/23 because once most of us finish uni we get a job that pays and new priorities.

Reply #74035 | Report this post

Glenn S.  
Years ago

Big but,

Yes I was a referee back in my day and I was terrible, I wasn't mature enough to listen to the advice I was given, I was a cockhead referee (I remember giving a coach a tech foul with 3 seconds to play. in a 1 point game, I quit shortly after that) I dont give advice cause I was a good referee I give advice cause I now know what I (as a coach) consider a good referee to be.

As for how the ref saw the play should be told by the call they made, example:

Referee: **Tweet** travel Souths ball
Coach: what?? that is a terrible call
Referee: Coach I was all over that play she moved her pivot foot
Coach: (no response of any intelligence)
I think it is clear that the referee saw a travel, how he/she saw it is irrelavant cause I know they wont change the call if they are wrong.

I would be happy to attend these meetings however to my knowledge I have never been invited to one.
I have also asked to take the top level referees course to be informed of how the referees have been taught but I have been told I couldn't attend top level courses without going through the levels, and quite honestly I cant afford to spend over 20 hours going through the courses when I have no interest in refereeing again.

As for stopping the abuse I dont abuse to be a prick to the referee, although it may come off that way. I dont take anything from the game as personal (anymore) like it or not the ABA level is professional and should be treated as such, there are no grudges in basketball, bad calls are made, coaches are asses, players leave clubs, coaches poach players, players quit, coaches are fired. It's all business not personal. I will argue calls, I will say that a referee is not calling it both ways, and I will tell a referee when I think they are wrong, but I try to keep it in the framework of the game, I dont get tech fouls that much because most referees have a decent understanding of the game and understanding what my complaints are (that doesn't mean that they agree however). What comes off as abuse are the situations where a referee refuses to talk to me when I ask, so I feel I have to yell and carry on like a jack ass to get a conversation.
Will my "abuse" stop? probably not but it wont be personal just game related.

And as for all referees not being the best communicators, I am refering, solely, to ABA standard I think I am justified in demanding a higher level of maturity and game sense. I dont expect any green shirts out on saturday nights.

During the Summer season I did get a tech foul for swearing at my assistant coach (my language gets a little colourful during games, ask the starplex bench) I believe I said to my assistant we are playing terrible fu!@#ng offense. When I asked the referee why I got a tech and not a warning (as I didn't abuse anyone with my language) he refused to walk over to me to explain that he felt it didn't matter who I swore at, it was inapproiate. (fair comment) he made me walk out to centre court (which is a tech-able action) to have that conversation. I didn't argue the tech (as it was a fair call) but it would have been a mature gesture for the ref to come and explain when asked during a stoppage in play.

Hope that answers some of your concerns.

Reply #74038 | Report this post

BIG BUT  
Years ago

All good Glen, it sounds like you would be a good coach to get along with.

I am a referee and player though I have never worked a game on one of your teams.

I agree advantage disadvantage is there for a reason - not to stop the flow of the game but should not be used as a excuse for missed calls.

I still think you and other coaches should all attend the pre season meetings and perhaps it will make it easier for you to understand what the refs have been instructed to do during the season.

there are too many coaches thinking they can question every call the umps make during the course of the game.

perhaps you could give Neil Poulton a call who I have heard is a good guy and big on communication with coaches.

Reply #74041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All coaches get invited to the rule change meetings and such, as do referee's and scoretable personnel as they do for points of emphasis

very rarely do coaches avail themselves of the offer, maybe the clubs aren't passing on the information, i'm reasonably sure it doesn't go out to Mr Glenn Shaw but to South Adelaide inviting its Div 1 or ABA coaches to attend. But then again the refs don't get personal invitations either it is a all referees are invited to attend, however most refs do turn up

for me and i am not a referee but i do know that it would be common sense for a referee to walk to towards a bench he/she had just tech'd.

you are only inviting trouble by appoaching an already heated or troubled area.

it would in some cases be tantamount to see the dogs starving hungry and stepping out into the back yard asking if they would like to have a bite of your leg.

Reply #74048 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Anon #73874 the answer to your question is Football. Is out philosophy different? An umpire/ref must definitely be able manage the boundary  in relation to the laws and their application and the umpire is both a leader and manager on the field. I will let you decide that one.

I also know that ABL and NBL refs talk to the coaches, but what about the playing group?

Glenn is right in what he is saying. Basketball umpiries must have thicker skin then most other sports. Good communication is one of the most important factors and to be positive in the call you have or have not made. As soon as a coach or player identifies a weakness in a ref then they will go after it. We see this all the time at junior levels where the ref's are still finding their feet in the game. NO ref should have to justify a decision but pointing out how they came to a decision gives everyone a better understanding.

Yes a ref can not foul out a player on a football field. Yes a ref can not send a player out of the game nor give a player a tech foul. My understanding is that a ref does not have to worry about if a player is reaching the max amount of fouls they are permitted in a game, which is the player's job and coaching staff.

My opinion is that refs must have a sound knowledge of the laws of the game, make good position, focus on the right things at the right time, remain calm and composed, treat players with respect, communicate and penalise actions and not personalities. Should this type of philosophy change when it come to different sports? I can not answer that one true or honest as I have never umpired a basketball game.

Reply #74134 | Report this post

Glenn S.  
Years ago

Big But, I believe that I am a good coach to get along with but a pain in the butt as well, I do appreciate the job the referees do and will continue to be a supporter of the grey shirts, (even the zebra shirts), and as long as referees come out with a attitude to develop with the game and continue learning no matter what level they are at it will be good. As a coach I am learning every time I step on court, Players and coaches need to adapt to the refereeing but the participants deserve the referees to adapt to the game as well.

Here is the secret...coaches and players listen to referees because they have to or they will be tech fouled or disadvantaged by a style of game they adapt to, referees listen to players and coaches because they choose to make the game better and want to continue to learn and be better referees

I think that will put the emphasis on better communication all round.

Have a good round 3 everyone.

Glenn

Reply #74136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only time Glenn has respect for Referees is when his team is winning

Reply #74146 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

I see the problem with the advantage/disadvantage interpretation being that it is interpreted differently both each individual ref.

Two refs, same game, different interpretations, especially at junior district level.

This can cause trouble on the court as players can get frustrated and take frustrations out on the opposition.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be used, but at junior district level, and definitely in social ball, i think it should be discouraged from being used.

Reply #74318 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

pickles, thats a fair comment, but its at social level etc where you get blowouts and refs are more likely to say, not call a small back-court travel by the team losing by 54 points. It can be frustrating, you just have to workout how the refs are calling the game and play by their rules, thats what takes skill.

Reply #74326 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Fair enuff VC, but my main point is, (using your example), that one ref won't call the travel, and the other one would. This is where differences in call consistency causes issues.

its a difficult situation all-round. :(

Reply #74332 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:50 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754