Isaac
Years ago

NBL Signings: Shanahan, Tovey

The Kings have reportedly picked up Cameron Tovey from the Wildcats after the rookie was supposedly pissed off by negotiations with Perth and looked elsewhere. Tovey showed promise last year before getting injured in Round 15. Smart pick-up by Goorjian. Tovey had 16 against the Tigers and 12 and 10 in two games vs the Sixers last season.

Matt Shanahan is another Perth departure, all but signed by the South Dragons according to the SMH.

The Hawks have apparently secured Mat Campbell but are waiting on NBL approval. Wollongong are also in discussions with bargain-import Adam Ballinger and Troy Pilon.

(Ballinger isn't far off Rychart's pace IMO and having a rough idea of his price, I think he's a bargain. I wouldn't be unhappy if the Sixers went for him and then spent the leftovers from Dusty's deal last year on a Cullen or Melmeth-type. Ballinger is 8cm taller, 13 kg heavier, a year younger, higher percentage from the field, the arc and the stripe.)

The Dragons and Razorbacks are looking at Brett Wheeler as a back-up centre. I'd heard the Dragons rumour before, but someone on OzHoops has mentioned Pigs coach Watkins was out watching Wheeler in a recent game.

The same someone mentioned that the Hawks could be interested in Lester Strong - any Pioneer followers hearing anything about that over in the East?

Topic #6632 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

It would not surprise if the Hawks were looking at Strong, at the NBL Blitz he apparently dunked on them five times in a 24 minute game.

Reply #74541 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I think Ballinger is very underated. If we could get him, I think we have lost nothing, and maybe even gained from Dusty leaving.

Get after Ballinger now!

Reply #74560 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Tovey was impressive in the games I saw of him. Perth would hate that.

Reply #74574 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I think Ballinger would be a great pick-up. He showed last year that with minutes (once Rampton went down with his injury) that he is a starter and quality big man.

If we could jag him it would be a very very good replacement for Dusty, especially if he comes a bit cheaper.

Reply #74580 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He comes a lot cheaper. Last season, less than half of Rychart's price. I was shocked when I heard, and from reliable sources. I can't understand why because he's cast in that reliable Rychart/Redhage style - not electrifying, but gets it done. I heard a whisper that the Sixers might run with a single import, but I can't see how that's worth trying. Offer Ballinger an upgrade and get him in as a proven PF option. You'd still have money leftover to take care of the middle if you were lucky.

Reply #74581 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Also, Hinder has been confirmed as heading to Sydney. The Age:

Forward-centre Russell Hinder becomes the fifth member of the Commonwealth Games team to join the Sydney Kings, having agreed to a two-year deal.
Kendall is leaving Sydney and will be replaced by Tovey.

I'm pretty sure we'll see Luke Kendall in the Dragons' backcourt with Shane Heal.

Reply #74582 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Isaac, quick question about the points cap and the Dragons. Basically what does Heal come back as in relation to points. He'd officially retired fromt the game(now unretired) and is no longer a Boomer.

There is nothing in the point cap guide to suggest anything about players becoming 'unretired'.

Reply #74585 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

If Ballinger is this cheap then it's a no brainer to at least put out feelers to see if he's interested. Even chuck an extra $10k on top of his current contract to sign him up.

Quality big men don't come this cheaply this often....

One import.... OMG... what next???

Reply #74587 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure, but I'd guess that they'd either use the older system of coaches allocating a value, discarding the extremes and then averaging the rest. I'd say he'd be a 10, or maybe a 9 at the very least.

Reply #74593 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ben Knight's agent has released a press release saying that he's taking interest from Singapore but is undecided on whether he'll remain with the Kings or move elsewhere.

Reply #74608 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Sydney will be stacked as usual next year by the sounds of it. But the Dragons are starting to shape a fairly nice roster for a first year team. Historically it has been difficult for any first round team to make the finals, but the Dragons sound like they could do it.

Reply #74625 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

Heal, Ingles, Shannahan, Holmes, Drmic..... thats a nice base of players... apparently their looking in US college now. Maybe Drmic can work his way back into being a boomer?

Reply #75609 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:13 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754