Isaac
Years ago

NBL sets June deadline for Sixers sale

From the ABC site:

The National Basketball League (NBL) wants a new owner found for the Adelaide 36ers by the end of June.

NBL commissioner Rick Burton says there have been plenty of parties interested in purchasing the Sixers' licence.

The State Government wants to sell the Sixers, the club's stadium and Women's National Basketball League team (WNBL), the Adelaide Fellas.

Burton says the NBL wants to complete the process by June 30.

"You want to give the new owner as much time as possible to get ready for the start of the season.

"We start on September 20 in Singapore and Adelaide is actually in that very first game in Singapore, so there's not a lot of time between maybe July 1 and September 20 really to have everything in place."

Topic #7166 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The new owners should of been in charge by now.

The Government and BASA knew that they would of had to sell back in March.

Also to call for interests and leave it open for 28 days is too long. That should be 7 days and then leave more time for bids to be put together.

Reply #80321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'...should HAVE been.....'
and '.... would HAVE been......'
where's your grammar?

Reply #80354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...would HAVE had.....even Doh!

Reply #80356 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Plans for the new season need to be made now by the current administrators. The purchasers have to accept that due to timing, these are the plans that have already been put in place and they will not be able to make many changes for this season. They can take full control next season. They would have to expect it to be that way because its actually in their favour for this type of organisation to be already in place. It saves them the difficult task of taking over a new venture and then having to rush into making a success of it with only a few months to go. It makes for minimal disruption to the normal operations.

Reply #80410 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Great...must be sold by end of June, I will be standing at the dome June 30th 4.55pm, there is nothing like a fire sale to snap it up at a bargain basement price. (I just need to keep Isaac locked in the ferrari so he doesnt gazump me with a lazy few mill from his back pocket.

This is evidence of the stupidity of the NBL comish...a panic sale..rushed deadline helps nothing.

We can but hope there is at least one REAL offer on the table, and that is has some substance and state pride behind it. (an actual concern for the 36ers might be nice to, but you cant have everything)

By the way, there are quiet a few people like me, who have no relationship with local basket ball, no allegiance to the local competition..so, the sooner my ticket money stops paying a subsidy to a whole lot of people who have no impact on my life the better.

Reply #80483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

me,

I think that you will find that it has been local basketball which has been paying for the 36ers to exist. The State Government report said as much.

Reply #80484 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

80484, thank you, i would be interested to see evidence of this. It would appear to me that the 36ers (and to some extent) the lightning are a money making venture, which seems apparent by the fact they to be sold. I dont imagine i will see anyone lining up to buy BSA?

If this isnt the case, then the 36ers will not be sold, who would buy an unprofitable product? Particularly one which has been left to wither in the market with little or no promotion and advertising.

I am confident that without debts from associations etc it would not prove a challenge to make money from the 36ers, which is why it will sell...and succeed. Once we are free of the ties of being beholden to BSA

Reply #80488 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

me,

Well said and agree Completely.

Reply #80489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

me and Joe M,

Fact: Lightning loses $60K + per year which is down from an average of $100K.

Look at the auditors report. Currently without having any debt repayment BASA would be losing $1M per year.

By selling of the 36ers, BSA will be able to reduce their staff from 25+ to about 10. The other staff is only necessary due to the 36ers.

Look around the league, not too many teams make a profit. Only Townsville and Cairns make any soret of a profit. Even while winning 3 Championships Sydney has been in a receivers hands due to a lack of finance. With the current crowd numbers the 36ers wouldn't be making a profit.

They are being sold as a POTENTIAL money making venture to pay of debts. The people who are looking to buy it are people with enough money to loose some.

Reply #80490 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lightning losses are typically more like $180-200k/year. Sixers, IMO, have potential to improve.

Reply #80491 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Forgive my ignorance on the figures, as i said i am merely a fan and not deep inside the basketball community.

However, if the 36ers were seperate from BSA, and its debts (Dome, Governemnt repayments etc), would they have made a profit this year?

If not, then we need a full review as to how they are being run, if SA is unable to support a single successful national club then there is a real problem.

Reply #80493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

me,

Yes, currently the 36ers would be losaing money. But have the potential to make money. -+

Reply #80549 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

ok...so now im confused, if what I am reading is correct, the 36ers have been making a loss for a number of years. The profile and marketing of BasbetBall is dropping. Why on earth would anyone buy them, ahh i hear Isaac's keyboard rattling,

"Sixers, IMO, have potential to improve."

Surely the only way is to increase revenue and/or decrease expenses, now i cannot imagine that there is any chance of costs going down so what is it about being sold that is going to create an increase in revenues?

I am not trying to pick fights or cause trouble, but i stand by my assumption that the local leagues/BSA cost the 36ers $$ and when they are free of them...they will be free of some debts and costs, that are not relevant to my 36ers.

Is it perhaps time we realise that this is the professional end of the game, there is little or no loyalty either to or from the club (with perhaps one notable exception), the championship result is what is relevant to the club and fans.

Whilst i hope we continue to produce great sports people in SA, the simple facts are, if they are good enough they will go to...
A) the highest bidder (NBA etc) or...
B) where they are told (AFL)

Look at Oscar, Jacob plus those other kids who have never even pulled the 36ers top on (cant remember their names Shensher, Newely?)
The local league may well have helped build these future greats, but they will play where it suits them.

I will continue to support my team, made up of old men, exciting new talent, erratic geniuses, and the finest captain in the NBL until next year... and then i will still support my team..whoever it is.

Sorry for such a long post.

Reply #80658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

me,

The reason the 36ers costs so much has been an inefficient marketing and administration system. Again, if you look around at other NBL clubs in Australia, only Cairns and Townsville actually make money.

Local basketball makes money. That is not an assumption but a Fact. And that is why the elite National League teams are being removed and the local level being allowed to stay. We will them see how much and what sort of improvements will occcur. I for opne can't wait. Especially when the 36ers continue to make money and put a cut price team on the court for fnas like you!

Look at a Stadium like Wayville. It makes a profit of $100k per year. That pays for as stadium manager and a junior program manager. If you add Pasadena Stadium which makes about $200k you can pay for a CEO and office person, as well as another person to run senior basketball. The other stadiums compbined do not make as much money but are able to pay for their stadium managers and add enough to employ somebody in marketing and accounts.

What else does local basketball need to send money on?

Reply #80665 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Ok, so i repeat, why would someone buy the 36ers? If no (PRO)clubs make money around OZ whats in it for a prospective purchaser?

Lets face it, there are not to many philanthropic people left in SA, (any that are, get slammed in the media sorry Rob) so the only buyer will be expecting to make money.

I go back to my very first point, the commish says we should sell before June 30th, So now we have a superduper, crazy crazy, out they go customers, sale, of an unprofitable product.

Hmm..they must be queuing up to buy?

Reply #80693 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why else? Err, tax write-off, publicity, the Mark Cuban angle, etc.

Reply #80700 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:25 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754