odin
Years ago

16 Girls 3 - .. whats a bye worth now ?

What happens to the teams that have already had a bye (0 points you get more for a loss) Now that there is no longer a bye in this division. Do they have to play on with a disadvantage. Do they get to appeal if they miss out by 3 points or less ?
or does it go a count back. or will there be 6 catch up games ?
does anyone care ..

Topic #7431 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

Who knows what is happening with this Div- apparently after the full 15 rounds the div will be split again into 3 and 4 (as in Summer season) and the last rounds get played. This has been an utter mess from the start and has seemed to be put in the too hard and who cares basket IMO. The girls have had their programme given in drips and I'm sure they are not really being considered as important. The bye/loss points is silly I agree and if your team is disadvantaged it isnt fair. But they seem to be in a box where no-one wants to take resposibility. Will have to see what pans out Odin, and yea I care.

Reply #83574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

problem is - x amount of teams nominate for div 3 so they try to accomodate this - letting the results fairly show who is in div 4 or 3 - everyone has been subject to dribs and drabs rosters this season.

If teams stopped pulling out perhaps we would know what we were doing

Reply #83575 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Yes I agree Anonymous about the teams pulling out etc but it gets to be pretty clear without playing the 15 rounds who should be in 3 or 4. Summer should have given a picture but I understand 1 team requested to go up from 4 to 3 and then the fun started. I know everyone has had dribs and drabs rosters and I wouldnt envy the guys doing them either. Just hard when it seems your childs division is bottom of the heap!

Reply #83577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If some clubs worried more about giving their kids development opportunity in a higher division rather than winning div 3, we wouldn't have a situation with 17 teams in div 3 and 11 in div 2. Both divisions have a bye. what a waste!

Reply #83578 | Report this post

odin  
Years ago

anon #83575 define fairly

If there is 3 points difference in the split line either the top 5 or even the 3/4 split and any of the teams had a bye, and got no points for that round how is it fair?

Fair is when everyone plays on a level field, not when the fixture discriminates against you by reducing the games you play and therefore the points you are capable of earning.
I've seen comps where a bye is awarded 2 points, neither a win or a loss. this would be fairer than zero which is no points less than a loss, the same penalty as a forefit. punishment for being the wrong place in the fixture !.
Or award everyone who plays the new team the same points they would get if it was still a bye zero.. win or loose they get zero, same as the first 6 teams got that would be fair

This Fair .. I dont think so.

On the other side lets see where the chips land, maybe none of the teams will be in a position to protest If they are I think it would be a valid protest.

Reply #83579 | Report this post

odin  
Years ago

P.S. this is no bye in div 3 now , sporting pulse still lists one of woodvilles original teams.. there are now 16 teams in div 3 (check the results page) there used to be 15. hence teams who had a bye no longer have one.
div 2 now gets a bye, and may have the same complaint as div 3, unless all the div 2 games this team competed in are now being converted into byes.
(repeated in magic 16.3 thread)

Reply #83581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

basa has a system that fairly equates the results - allowing for teams that have had byes

do not worry - we have been down this path sooo many times.

" Just hard when it seems your childs division is bottom of the heap! " unquote - Div 3s are legends - hardly the bottom of the heap! - that is not the attitude

how much pressure do you think there is on mavericks, south in Div 1 when they walloped each week!

Reply #83583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

district basketball is a structured competition expect lower divs to be considered lesser - but that does not mean it is correct - just the system that supports it - we all know ALL divisions are just as important to the development of this great game.

Div 3s have nothing to lose - try putting all your time into a state team and getting cut at the last minute - now that is sinking feeling!

but it is a fact - what goes aropund comes around

Reply #83584 | Report this post

oracle  
Years ago

A2

CRITERIA FOR PREMIERSHIP POINTS WHERE THERE IS AN UNEVEN BYE SITUATION IN DIVISIONS

1.0 Placings on the Premiership Ladder during the season.

1.1 The positions on the ladder during the regular season shall be determined by the ratio of games won over games played.

1.2 Should two or more teams be tied with the same winning percentage during the regular season, they shall be ranked by the number produced by dividing total points scored against into total points scored for.

2.0 Final Placings at the End of the Season.

2.1 Positions on the ladder will be determined by the ratio of games won over games played.

2.2 Should two or more teams be tied on game winning percentage (2.1) at the conclusion of the regular season, final placings shall be determined by the win / loss ratio in only those games played between the tied teams.

Should there still remain a tie, rankings shall be determined by the difference between the total points scored for and against each team in only those games played between the tied teams.

If teams still remain tied, rankings shall be determined by the points for over the points against percentages for the entire season.

Reply #83593 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

#83577 - It's a bit tough when you make the semis in the summer season & your reward is to be dropped to div 4 for winter!

Reply #83602 | Report this post

odin  
Years ago

Oracle,
Obviously thats not the method used on sporting pulse. also is that the method to be used to split the comp after round 15.

I can understand that teams dropping in out up and down makes it hard to maintain a draw.
But the sysyem quoted takes no account as to what the effect of the missing games has been.

If a new team enters and get beaten by everyone except those who already had a bye and dont play the ones who had the bye are at a disadvantage.
For example lets say team A had 5 games and lost 1 of them they get 4/5 = 80 %
Team b had a bye lost one game get 3/4 = 75% both teams lost only one game but team A is in Team B is out, because they had a bye. lets make it worse the game team A lost was agsinst team B, So why is this fair.
Alternateley if all of the games against the new team were taken as a bye result, the game that team A played against the new team would be discounted (now they only played 4 games) there percentage drops to 75% (3/4) head to head team B beat team A so team B would be in and team A out.

alternately Team A plays an extra game against the new team and both team A and B played the same number if team A beats the new team then they are also on 80 % as team B beat team A head to head team B are in and team A out.

All I'm saying is that comparing apples to oranges is a sure way to make lemons...

Reply #83607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i heard that Basa said bad luck to any team that had a bye.
i think it is crap for the teams that had a bye but really good for the teams that didnt

Reply #84679 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:37 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754