GB
Years ago

SOUTH V FORESTVILLE

Women
South lost by seven. Robbed of the game by poor calls by inconsistent refs. Tech foul called on Forestfille player, then change of mind by ref and forestville player went the line to shoot two. The mind boggles.

It got worse for the men when the same two refs turned up for the mens game. Once again South lost by 10 (surprise, surprise). Three palyers ejected, and of course two from South. Late in the game double foul called (of course south players sixth)and he was benched. what a shambles.

Dix untouchable as usual.

Topic #7919 | Report this topic

Phizzer  
Years ago

I assume you're a South fan? Bitter South fan perhaps?

Thanks for the unbiased, clear and consise match report. I guess South will win when referees look after them.

Reply #88664 | Report this post

GB  
Years ago

I am a south fan, but far from bitter. I only ask for consistency (even if its bad). Did not see any consistency tonight, did you? (88664)

Reply #88665 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

right on Phizzer, 'three players ejected, of course two of them south' firstly, they would have had to have done something pretty bad to get ejected, secondly, it was ONE more south player than forrestville, that isnt exactly biased, maybe next time they eject 3 players it will be 1.1/2 players from your team and 1.1/2 players from the other team.

Also how is an umpire biased if he calls a double foul, its the players fault for racking up 5 fouls and not being careful.

Reply #88666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dix unstopable, not untouchable....

Reply #88667 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I didn't see the game, I'm currently not even in Australia, so I was very keen to see the result of the game, hence you can imagine my disappointment when first post about it was you blaming the referees for South losing. Last time I checked, both men and women from Forestville were higher on ladder than South, so were expected to win anyway.

In regards to consistency, define it in a basketball sense? Rarely is any scenario in this beautiful game absolutely identical, hence how can one be consistent in a changing environment?

Maybe the tech foul you thought was on "Forestfille" was actually on a Panther Angel in the first place, hence the foul shots to Eagles? Just guessing.

I see Forestville didn't win, but South lost. Or was it the referees who lost on behalf of South?

Can someone give an unbiased report of this game please?

Reply #88669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe GB said "Three palyers ejected, and of course two from South" because he used to seeing that from his team and club?

Reply #88672 | Report this post

Vanilla Ice  
Years ago

I was at the game and to see a ref call a tech foul on a player, only to have the player follow the ref around to argue the call and get it reversed was a first in basketball for me. Good for Kylie Newbold to be able to recognise an easily intimidated, weak, young referee and force his hand on a reversal.

Sorry - It was either an easily intimidated, weak, young referee...or a patient mature decision made by the referee to hear the player out as she argued her case.

Either way a reversal on a tech foul is a first for me. The same referee gave the south coach a tech for yelling "Travel" I wonder if he tried to argue his case would there have been a reversal?

Reply #88675 | Report this post

JuryForeman  
Years ago

Who got ejected and why? The Sunday Mail mentions players being reported too, is there any truth to this?

I know we've had a double header weekend but that makes at least 4 players ejected in one weekend - that would have to be a first!

Reply #88681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South are dirty hackers... enough said.

Reply #88686 | Report this post

Simplex  
Years ago

"South are dirty hackers... enough said".

Not enough said.What are u basing your point on?I think you will find a Eagles player was the 1 who started the pushing last nite.The only reason the 2nd South player got involved was because an Eagles player came from behind and pushed Agel.Coming from behind in a fight is a very low act.So before u call "Dirty Hackers".Look at both sides of the story.Im not a South fan.So no bias in anyway.Just the facts!

Reply #88697 | Report this post

Digby  
Years ago

who was ejected?

Reply #88700 | Report this post

Ball Player  
Years ago

The ejections were fair imo.
south player started it by shoving the forestville player and then, there was one ejection for each team after players came in to defend team mates......

forestville were the best team on the night, however south worked hard to stay in the contest.

South struggled to contain Dix inside playing three different players on him.

The third player seemed to do the best job which I was think a young player no 21.

The tech foul in the womans game looked like it was a mistake by the official which was realised and then reversed.

I have not seen that b4 with a tech foul but I guess if they have the gut's to admit when they are wrong then that is not such a bad thing.

Other than that call I did not think they were too much of a factor.

Kylie Newbold good inside the paint and Lindsay shooting well from outside.

For South Kelson was good as usual.

Reply #88701 | Report this post

What the  
Years ago

Macher for South and Arnold for Forestville I think.
No players reported me dont thinks???

I think the report was from another game

Reply #88702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not the first time Arnold has been in trouble this year, he was ejected against southern earlier this season

Reply #88704 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Isn't an ejection an instant report?

Reply #88729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay people, Agel from South threw Wood from Forestville to the ground. Arnold, in defense of his team mate, then came in and pushed Agel, then Davies from south, did the same to Arnold in defense for his team mate. Not much in it really. Agel, Arnold, and Davies all ejected. In my opinion I wouldn't have ejected any of them, but it had to be all three or none of them because they all acted in very similar ways so probably a fair call by the refs in the end.

Arnold only ever gets involved in stuff like this when he is defending a team mate. Same thing against Southern this year. Arnold had an altercation with Alexarnder after he saw Alexander deliberately trying to elbow Forestville players in the back of their heads. Scott might get carried away sometimes, but not a bad bloke to have on your team to back you up if you ask me!

and yes, South are a bunch of hacks!

Reply #88741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arnold would have your back on the court, in a nightclub or pub. Great bloke.

Reply #88747 | Report this post

amaaazing  
Years ago

Gb - why is a double foul so bad ???? if it is there - it is there - facts are facts

Reply #88748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re 88741

Alexander never threw an elbow to any head THAT game, don't bring up crap that is 1 month old, arnold wanted to take alexander on, move on idiot

Reply #88753 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Refs were absolutely disgraceful in the game and I think both teams would rather haved played without them!
Dix is an awesome player and is a top bloke off the court but the way he was protected by the refs, well one in particular was pathetic. I would love to see how many free throws he had. Nothing against Jason as he probably would have had the points he had anyway but fairs fair and let players actually play ball, not a free throw competiton.
I don't think ejecting the three players was warranted and calling a double foul when one player elbows another is just a cowardly way to call an obvious foul and not be heckled from the opposition coach.
It seemed that any time there was a dispute the referees asked Andy Simmons what he wanted them to call.
I think I actually remember seeing one of those umpires working the bar at Wayville during the week...

Reply #88761 | Report this post

Andrew Lea  
Years ago

Dix ended up with 5 fouls. Hardly what you'd call protected.

I didn't quite catch the original altercation between Agel & Cameron Wood (as previously reported started the incident), but ejecting Arnold and Davies for flying in after the fact was justified. It looked like if the ref hadn't held the players apart it would have escalated further.

All 3 players were reported because they were disqualified for 'fighting'.

Reply #88764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

panther, you are not allowed not grab and hold blokes when they are cutting through the keyway. Also, when the your teams split line defense was continuously arriving late, and at the last minute trying to pretend that they had position, and when the contact was made compaining about the call, how about you focus your attention on improving your teams defense rather than looking at the refs for calling obvious fouls. Stop trying to make people believe that the refs are on the oppositions side.

What do you think, because a ref might be volunteering in the Eagles bar to help out for a NATIONAL tournament, that that ref would then go and be one sided whilst refing a basketball game. Grow up Panther. Your team has one of the worst defences in the league, and you certainly don't have anyone to stop Dix, so count yourself lucky that Forestville played so poorly that you guys actually got close enough to say that you were in the game.

Reply #88768 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

at least put a name to your post. Fairly gutless 88768

Reply #88770 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

That's right, last time you guys played us and only just won you "played poorly" as well! Geez what a coincidence....

Reply #88773 | Report this post

there are more  
Years ago

I am quite sure neither off the two umps worked the bar over the under 18's so Panther you might have your facts mixed up, and I also believe dix was not protected but was simply a stand out in that game.

Having said this, I also believe South took it up to Forestville and didn't allow Forestville to dominate with the execption of Dix.

Well done Panther it was a good effort by your team and you don't deserve to have people say Forestville "lost the game" however you need to stop blaming the umpires.

both teams had over 5 fouls each nearly every period.

Reply #88778 | Report this post

Some Facts  
Years ago

I have on good authority that in the end none of the three mentioned players have been reported by the Ref's

The league does however know who was involved and could decide to hold a tribunal at there discretion.

Reply #88782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there was no bar at Wayville during the week! don't let facts stand in the way of a good story!

Reply #88783 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I read in the paper that the 3 are facing the tribunal later this week

Reply #88784 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Could be a big night at the tribunal if all of the 'witnesses' attend and give their various versions. Perhaps use a multiple choice verdict to determine who actually saw the incidents will save some time

Reply #88835 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

All I can say is Arnold was lucky it was Davies and not Agel jumping on him or he might have been headed to Centennial Park by now

Reply #88836 | Report this post

rabbit  
Years ago

haha, you are probably right lockstock, i certainly would not elect Agel as a man to take on. arnold has white line fever if ever i have seen it, but you have to admire him. taking on alexander, and machar in the space of a month, stupid or courageous, take your pick.

Reply #88842 | Report this post

GB  
Years ago

When all is said and done, Dix is still untouchable not unstopable.

Reply #88872 | Report this post

HUH?  
Years ago

seems south are always on the lips of us basketball nutz!the problem with south is they have to many players with only one goal,normally thats ok,because the one goal is to win the flag,but souths players only want to be headlines on a forum or the talk around the stadiums. so much talent has been wasted at that club!

Reply #88902 | Report this post

Optimus Prime  
Years ago

Thankyou for your knowledge and input.NOT!

Reply #88971 | Report this post

Danny  
Years ago

I didn't actually see the incident in question between Arnold etc. but it sounds like a big beat up to me. Always is. The game itself is rediculously over officiated it's just not funny anymore.
As for Arnold, he's certainly no pretender from where I sit. White line fever for sure but at least he sticks up for himself and his team mates. I'm actually a Mavs member myself but I've seen so many players and teams get bashed around from the big dudes over the years who think they own the place and it's great to see someone give it back to them.
He's a country boy I think so I guess that's where he gets it from.

Reply #88974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HUH?

Changing your username doen't mean that we can't work out who you are 'brad'. It is easy from the way in which you cannot spell.

And I guess that you are the wasted talent from South!

Reply #88977 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Ever thought of maybe a career in PI #88977? You're brilliant

Reply #89011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does anyone have an update of whether there was a tribunal and if so, what was the outcome?

Reply #89287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Arnolds from pirie so he knows how to handle those kinda boys.

Reply #89494 | Report this post

mr sudan  
Years ago

what, the ones who have fought in civil wars and fight to till the death in hand to hand combat??

Reply #89912 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:52 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754