HUH?
Years ago

SCHOOL OVER CLUB

hey if anyone dares to get into this debate go ahead,but what are your thoughts about the private school policay that school basketball comes before club? ive heard of a few players being suspended from school because of it!love to hear your thoughts

Topic #7947 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have lived in Sydney and this is very much a factor for private school students over there. They are told that school basketball is better. They do have a good competition, however club basketball will get you further if you want to pursue basketball to the highest level.
Students should have the choice and schools should not be in the position to demand of or dictate to the students. Sounds like they are being bullied.

I guess it all depends on what the schools policy is too and whether the students are on a sports scholarship. It may state as a requirement of the scholarship that they are available for all school basketball commitments.

There are potentially a lot of "unseen" factors that could come into what each student is facing when deciding between school or club.

Reply #88941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trinity College puts school basketball ahead of club basketball. It is compulsory for students to play sport for the school, students risk suspension if they do not play for the school.

Reply #88948 | Report this post

kaiserschlauten  
Years ago

fortunately due to scheduling times here in SA they can fit both in - would only be u14 div 2/3/4/5 or u16 div 3 girls that any clash on saturdays

only a handful of schools have a decent programme

i would hope they go hand in hand and do not work against each other

other sports such as football clash more - ie school footy and club u17 / 19s play saturday afternoons

what about church commitments - now that is another can of worms

Reply #88954 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The policy isn't confined to private schools.

I know of one school that has the policy, but provided a student represents the school at something (not necessarily basketball), then it isn't a problem.

They aren't going to insist a div 1 player plays for a school team that couldn't win a social game.

Of course, if you are on a sporting scholarship for basketball, don't even think of not playng for the school ...

Reply #88976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A tad off subject I know, however it is on similar lines - what do people think of the idea that there should be a league for the colleges to enter a team into, and all colleges should have a consistent interschool team.
There are a lot of schools/colleges that choose not to have a school/college team because they're afraid of the possible impact on the social league. I don't think thats right, how about you?

Reply #88990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Trinity College puts school basketball ahead of club basketball. It is compulsory for students to play sport for the school, students risk suspension if they do not play for the school."
But only if they are caught :)
I know of numerous students who dont play sport for trinity and nothing is done about it. It seems to be mainly in Football that they come down hard on the students.
I was also told by the school that the student is requiered to play for the school unless the competition they offer is not the highest.
So some would say that district is above school ball.

Reply #88995 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Although Trinity college has school over club policy, they rarely if ever enforce it.

Reply #88999 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I think the situation is similar in other schools. If basketball isn't a focus for the school they don't care if district players forget to enrol for the school team.

Interesting, though when knockout competitions (ie in school time) come along & the district players come out of the woodwork while the school turns a blind eye ...

Reply #89001 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

To get back to the orignal post, when I played hockey at school there was a deal that association umpires were provided for the school competition and you had to play for the school in the morning to be elligible to play district in the afternoon. No school game - no district game.

That's what can happen if the sport association is serious about supporting school sport.

Reply #89002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think school basketball should be the 'district' form of the game for juniors anyway. That way there would be more of a competition and more structure about it. Probably better backed financially as well!

District Mens (ABA) could always remain as is and schools be linked to the clubs as a way to feed to seniors. Just another thought!

Reply #89028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Further to the above.
At junior level Year8-12 you could always have a relgation/promotion grading system to keep age levels/divisions competitive as well.

You could have reserves and ABA as is. And Div3-5 could be the 'old scholars' programme - kind of like amatuer footy has. They can also work on a relegation/promotion system!

Reply #89029 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It would work if you could build up the schools that don't have a basketball program. It would be interesting to know how many kids don't play for their own school in SAPSSA basketball because there isn't a team.

The competition would be a lower standard than district because there are more schools than district clubs. It would make it harder for SA to be competitive at state level, if the local competition was a lower standard.

There might be some good school ball out there, but most of what I have seen is way below social comp standard.

Also remember state primary school teachers don't do weekend sport, so you are relying on parents to coach up to U16 level. At least with district clubs you get have a pool of current and ex players to provide coaches.

Reply #89033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon -

You Idiot... those pool of ex players that coach and those kids that play state now - would still be there to choose from.

School basketball would replace the district system and ABA clubs would be aligned with schools for Marketing of the game - Junior Coaching programs to keep the skill level and interest up - and for a feeder of those STATE players to hit the big time!

Those players that play district would play in the schools comp (ie the schools comp would become the district comp). Players of today wouldn't just simply vanish.
And the relegation/promotion system would keep the skill level high in the higher grades and make for better competition at the lower grades.

Anon - I think you missed the point as to why it would be a good idea to hit the schools and make the schools be the basis of junior basketball.

Oh and you would find more people would be involved in watching the higher level games (ie NBL etc) and teachers would even start to embrace the idea of basketball as a sport. Easier to get more numbers.

Also you could go as far as offering 2-3 schooling scholarships a year - aligned with the ABA squads linked with the schools or better still SASI and the 36ers.

All it would take is going to each school and getting them to sign up to the association and link with the ABA clubs. Hey - because the schools back the comp - I bet if you did the sums, this structure may even be more financially stable.

Reply #89103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only issue that you have to the above is if every STATE player was to attend the same high school!!
Ha - now that would be funny.

Ideas on how to get around that issue???

Reply #89105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about coaching?

What happens when the 10 kids who made up the Sturt U/14 Nationals team all play at a different school? Or with the Norwood team that Qualified.

Rather than having the best coaches coaching the 10 best players from each club, you would get 10 school teachers coaching these kids. They would not get any better, and basketbalkl would go backwards quickly.

If you were running Southern you would need to have about 300 coaches coaching the various school teams from that area. Because most kids would come from different schools and play in different year levels. Where are they going to come from? Who is going to pay for the administration of covering all of that? You can be sure as hell the education department isn't.

Not to mention that the school system is why the US has fallen behind the rest of the world. In order to coach a school team that represents a school, ALL coaches would eventually need to have teaching degree's. Just like in the US. Therefore about 95% of our current coaches would be out of a job.

All you would get is lots of players who are not very good. With those players who have potential missing out on good coaching.

Just plain Rediculii!

Reply #89109 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yes, agreed I may be an idiot, but I don't see how the sums work. What do you do if you have four state players in a school and no-one else interested in playing?

There are other threads that suggest reducing the number of district teams to improve the standard of the competition. How many high schools are there in metro Adelaide? Guess 50? Divide the district squads from ten clubs across fifty schools and the school squad sizes average 20% of the size of the district squads. How does diluting the talent improve the competition?

I know a major high school that has students that are ABL players in year 12 that had to include year 9&10 players in a recent open competition to make up the numbers.

The district competition is a way of gathering the best talent, including students from schools that aren't interested in basketball.

School ball is a means for the students at a school to compete on behalf of their school. It is quite easy for a player to change district clubs - there are far more things to consider outside of basketball for a student to change schools.

District & school competitions exist for different reasons but it would be nice if we could integrate them a bit more.

Reply #89111 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754