Years ago

Enjoyment of the game!

I'm a junior, i play in a div 1 side... I used to really enjoy playing basketball, i used to have alot of fun! But when you get beaten by over 50 every week the enjoyment kinda slips away! I mean it really hurts when teams kick your ass and never stop even when they r close to 100 up! i want to know what other people think about the enjoyment of the game!

Topic #8229 | Report this topic

VC fan  
Years ago

So you just played sturt did you.....?

Reply #91926 | Report this post

Years ago

no y?

Reply #91927 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

VC, that is gold my son.

Reply #91930 | Report this post

*baller*  
Years ago

......, i am a player too and i totally agree with what you are saying, basketball is a great sport that should be enjoyed, but when getting beaten by 30-60 happens every week players start losing heart and dont put in 110% all game... i think clubs should put their teams in suitable divisions so everyone enjoys the game. otherwise players dont enjoy the sport and clubs lose the players. which isn't good for either. as a player i have not enjoyed this season of basketball and personally i cant wait for the next season to start. next season however i am really looking forward to because we will have a committed team who is hopefully playing in the correct division!!!!

Reply #91932 | Report this post

Years ago

thanx *baller* and yes sturt do beat us by a lot but remember this: NO TEAM IS UNBEATABLE... and im not having a go at any one this topic is just a general one for descussion

Reply #91934 | Report this post

*baller*  
Years ago

sturty6er, cool name. lol!!!

Reply #91935 | Report this post

Years ago

LOL!! yer it is u have to admit... pretty clever! :)

Reply #91936 | Report this post

why don't you get better so you don't lose all the time

Reply #91945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well i hate my coach and i cant wait til u20s

Reply #91947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

STOP PRESS!!! 'Centrals kids resort to whinging on forum after losing passion for game'

Reply #91951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

91951 how bout we dont start a centrals bashing thread and plus you have no idea where this kid is from since there are 3 or 4 teams in that 16s comp that are getting beaten by that much on a weekly bases.

......, IMO basketball sould always be for fun no matter what. I know its hard when your getting beaten to keep your head up and enjoy the situation but the only thing you can really do get to work and improve so that the next time you meet you are competative.

Since your in div 1 i wouldnt suggest this but maybe for divs 3 - 5 a social type rule could be enforced where a team has to retreat to teh half way line once up by a predetermined score??

Reply #92011 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I played my most of my junior seasons for a (now defunct) club who seemed to get beaten regularly in every division in my age group. I got sick of it and switched clubs (ended up a division lower mind you) and won a grand final the very next season. That desicion worked out well for me.

Reply #92025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

....., the answer to your question was answered perfectly by *baller*,
i think clubs should put their teams in suitable divisions so everyone enjoys the game

Of course, some clubs aren't prepared to do this - am waiting for the inevitable pro/rel post!

Reply #92069 | Report this post

Years ago

Thanx everyone for the replies... i should just keep my head up and hopefully we will be put in a better division soon :)

Reply #92115 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

have you ever considered that by playing the highest quality of Basketball you are set to improve by leaps and bounds, rather then sqaundering away in lower divisions and dominating every week. enjoyment will come to the game when you have noticed your vast improvement

Reply #92162 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

What club are u from

Reply #92186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Undersized Pf,

You don't improve m,uch when all you are doing is running down to one end and taking the ball in from out of bounds.

Reply #92189 | Report this post

well if thats all your doing then maybe not. to the players who are actually putting in and competing against the top competition, a dramatic improvement will be made. Sink or swim, u cannot improve playing below your standard.

Reply #92228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually ELG,

You improve at training.

Reply #92236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No point being the greatest scrimmage player in the world if you can't play in real games.

You train to improve for games. Not to get better at drills and training.

Reply #92253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, but you don't get better IN games.

And you definatly don't put into game anything you have done at practice if you are getting smashed.

Reply #92254 | Report this post

*baller*  
Years ago

I agree that training improves your basketball, but you can do all the individual work you want, one person cant make a team, i also agree you improve playig at ur standard but if ur team gets thrashed by 30 40 points is that playing at the correct standard/division?

Reply #92286 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

Ofcourse you improve playing the game. All of the american ballers grow up on pickup games. That is their training. applying skills in games is where the greatest improvement is made. and therefor playing agaist better opposition is better for development. you play against the best eventually you become the best.

Reply #92386 | Report this post

boost  
Years ago

slow down there undersized pf, dont go making outrageous statements like "eventually you become the best".. thats just ridicolous.. someone has to be the best, but it doesnt mean if you work the hardest you will be the best.. some people are born with ability and others are born with minimal to none but work hard to get somewhere, others are just plain terrible - no matter how hard they work! Exhibit one syko from ur team..

Reply #92391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Undersized Pf...
"All of the american ballers grow up on pickup games.That is their training"

Untrue. All that have achieved high level playing played high school ball, where they train 4-6 times per week. THIS is where they improve, by learning and repeating new skills until they are innate responses. Games are merely applying skills learnt and improved at training.

"and therefor playing agaist better opposition is better for development."
Laughable.
Tell that to the U14 and U16 teams getting belted by 60+ every week. Many of these teams are the same teams that were getting thrashed in U12s. These players will either lose enthusiasm for the game and quit - hence never developing, or are so hopelessly outclassed they cannot put into place traits learnt in practise.
All you do is chase the opposition, pluck the ball out of your net and run down the court till it's turned over again.
ELG,
"u cannot improve playing below your standard."

Agreed to a certain extent, but nor can you improve playing ABOVE your standard (by above I mean an absolute thrashing quite often). You should play in tight close game ie your standard.

Reply #92405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"all that have achieved high level playing high school ball, where they train 4-6 times per week. THIS is where they improve"

Are you a moron? By the time they hit high school they are 12, 13 years old. These are the most crucial years of development that they supposedly "missed out" on. Do you think Michael jordan stalled his development by competing against his older, better brother? ofcourse not, and to say you don't improve in games is idiotic, of course training is helpful, it teaches you fundamentals and skills - but what use are skills if you dont know how to put them into practice.

Reply #92421 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

Thankyou anon (#92421)

maybe i went a little over the top with "eventually becoming the best" im just so bewildered by this "you dont improve in games theory". Hypotheticaly if a junior trains and acquires all the proper fundementals and skills and doesnt play the game, then what would be the result of the player when he does make the jump to the real game. He'd be lost without playing experience.

Why do teams espicially as you got older (U16 U18) scrimage at trainings. because real life basketball situations are the best to learn in.

It is a factor that kids may be dicouraged by a costant pounding but in the end the kids who are serious about the game will be become mentally hardened and hungry for success.

Loss fuels competetive drive.

Reply #92490 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

And theres things that simply cannot be effectively and efficently past on through trainings. a player through game experience learns how to move off the ball, defensive hustle, using picks. and in games is where players develop there unique individual offense. there are training drills that cover these things but they cannot compare with game situations.

Reply #92492 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:31 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754