The Observer
Years ago

One reason why the Sixers will finish in the same

In looking at this year's squad, it is easy to say that the group has improved in key areas but one area that hasn't improved will still see us being first round casualties in my opinion.

Horvath is a definite asset to the squad, but the one area we needed to improve and haven't is our perimeter defence!

If you look at the players that are going to defend the perimeter our best is probably Nashy, with Hill a distant second.
Our other perimeter defenders will be
Maher - who is our greatest player ever, but wont notch a spot on our all defensive team?
Farley - who has the ability but seems to refuse to play defence every time down the floor and
Copeland - who has never been known as a defender and cant see his old legs hustling at the defensive end.

This problem occurred last year and I remember Dusty and Coops getting in foul trouble because we couldn't contain the ball. Wheeler is a known hacker and Horvath likes to get himself in the air, so I can see this problem still occurring.

This is just my opinion but I think it is valid. Defence wins Championships; it's a cliché, but very true. First round exit again I am thinking, lets hope I'm wrong, what are peoples thoughts?

Topic #8564 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely a problem and has been since Darnell left. We need to be able to contain guys like D-Mac, Groves and Bruton off the dribble. What other guys could cause us problems off the dribble this year? Anyone know much about Townsville's import?

Reply #95763 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I disagree about the comment of Farley not playing D. I've seen him on quite a few occasions pressuring up the floor and even calling for the crowd to get fired up when the team is playing defense. I do agree that Darnell left a major defensive hole though when he left.

Reply #95787 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

TP

It's not good enough for Farley to do it on quite a few occassions. As one of the 36ers key players he should be doing it every time.

Playing good D that is.....

Reply #95848 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:29 am, Tue 14 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754