Maurice White
Years ago

Boti's article in today's addy

Boti has a go at Brian Goorijan for talking the whole time during a time out, wow how unusual. The Sydney team had only practised a few times and Brian filled his time out with exactly what was needed for his new team.

Boti its called 'coaching'.

I think Boti is used to watching Phil and Steve talk mid-court for 30 seconds and then talk to the players about 'trying harder and thinking'.

The article with Willie was good. It will be interesting to watch how physical the Sixers approach Fridays game, especially after complaining earlier this week of questionable officiating.

Topic #8836 | Report this topic

Pacey  
Years ago

The Willie article reminds me of one about Charles Thomas a few years back. I remember thinking at the time of that one, that it seemed like it was setup to be used as a "scape goat" type situation. the import is struggling so thats why we have started off poor.

Reply #99444 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Although I'm not a huge Phil fan, I think what he does at time-outs is correct. I have heard that people can only take so much information in, in those situations. It is therefore better to give one or two points instead of raving for the whole time-out.

Reply #99449 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

At least BG called a time-out.

Reply #99453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think a small nation called greece would disagree doc...

Reply #99454 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Yeah, I know. Makes Phil's blunder even worse...

Reply #99459 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I talked to Boti about exactly this last year. The thinking with Goorj vs Smyth in timeouts is roughly as follows: Goorj gets straight to business and gives a lot of directions to a number of people. Smyth works out what he's going to say, and (when he's not making comments about the referees because the game is on Fox) usually gives a single clear instruction.

With Goorj, sometimes one player remembers some instructions, while another remembers other instructions. With Smyth, everyone remembers the one instruction.

I can't see the article online so maybe Boti's said exactly these things, but that was his thinking in the past.

Reply #99460 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I hope the Sydney players understand all the Goorj speak, cos it's so 'not english' that I'm sure some would have trouble understanding it. and 'Clock me dead' if he didn't get that down pat in his article.
I still think he's one of the funniest writers re basketball.

Reply #99463 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think BG's timeouts are quite awesome IMO. His intensity demands his players attention and he, a lot of the time, asks the player in question if he understands.
Smyth, on the other hand, is short and sweet, which is not so bad in itself. He obviously doesn't get nearly as much covered as BG does.
Look for the trademark "Phil flash" - some mates of mine a long while back noticed that Phil will flash a smile once every time out. It's hilarious, start looking for it and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Reply #99478 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Has anyone been able to find a link to the article online?

Reply #99485 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/sport/basketball/

Reply #99491 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sturty, I think they're talking about a different article?

lockstock, is that the fake looking smile? You see it in interviews too - e.g., serious situation, but trying to look happy and friendly. It's a real trademark!

I think there are benefits to both timeout styles - like I said, a combination of both wouldn't hurt.

Reply #99513 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Maurice - I hope you are referring to a different article than the Steve Breheny one, because THEY WERE NOT COMPLAINING ABOUT THE REFEREEING!!!. Sorry to shoutl but some people just cant get that idea.

That particular article was Breheny saying how the 6ers need to adjust to the change in officiating for the season, in fact Breheny categorically stated they were not complaining about the refs.

Reply #99515 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You don't think that's a bit naive? Possible, yes, likely, less so!

It's like saying that when Phil suggested that Goorjian's world champs team was (one of) the best Boomers rosters ever assembled, he was being genuine. You wouldn't get a whole lot of support (especially outside of Adelaide) in believing that!

Reply #99517 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Isaac, not sure if it is the same one. In timeouts it is a quick flash of the smile, literally about half a second. It cracks me up every time. It's his, "cmon guys, I'm instilling you with confidence" smile

Reply #99520 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

shouting doesn't make it any clearer Yogee - you said our opinions are different like chalk and cheese.

move on

Reply #99550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yogee, you never cease to amaze me!

Reply #99559 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Isaac

Without getting in an argument, I think in fairness to Smyth he said it was one of the most 'talented' squads ever assembled, and did so at the time that Neilson and Anstey were locks for playing in the team.

But that is old news.

Reply #99590 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

That wasn't an opinion, it was fact.

Tony Blair - point out to me where in that article where Breheney actually complained about the officiating.

You can't because he didn't.

Reply #99594 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

Yogee its all in semantics did he complain about the refs no
did he offer an excuse that they weren't use to the refs yes he did
did i say he was complaining about the refs NO
did I say it was another way of wrapping up an excuse to lose yes i did and i will stand by that.

You are supposed to be a journalist surely you can see and admit there are many ways of skinning a cat and getting your point of view accross.

My issue was never with Breheny blaming the refs. it has been your slant on that.

What i said was i saw it simply as another negative press coming from the sixers that seems to be geared to an automatic excuse if the lose.

ie heavy travel perth are waiting for us.
ie farley's article yesterday's paper others have already pointed out that he might be being set up as a scape goat

why not put a positive spin on some of the stories. sorry if you've taken it all personally Yogee as you have said we have differing points of view we can agree to disagree

you see good in smyth and co
i see doom and gloom

we can end it right there or the argument will rage all season however it would appear that the majority of posters on here are anti smyth this season.

Reply #99598 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I'm not...I love Smyth...move over Tammy...outa my way.....Mwahhhh Mwahhh!!!!!
;;;;;

Reply #99640 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Tony - I wasnt even taking exception to you in the first place.

It was Maurice who stated Breheney was whining about the refs, and I just took the time to point out no he wasnt.

And the day I take anything on this forum personally, well I'll be checking myself into a nice quiet place with a reversible cardigan.

Reply #99658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti's article was about as good as the sixers !!

Reply #99751 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:20 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754