Isaac
Years ago

NBA Bucks to play in Melbourne?

Heard what seemed like a far-fetched rumour the other day that the Milwaukee Bucks could play a regular-season NBA game in Melbourne.

Maybe it's legit, but more likely it's completely fabricated.

But it made me wonder - could it work?

Could they sell 20,000 tickets to an NBA game held here in Australia? Even if it was something like the Bucks vs the Blazers?

Surely a good number of Adelaideans would fly over to see it? (I think I would.)

If it weren't a regular season game, would a pre-season exhibition be more feasible?

Topic #8891 | Report this topic

The Early Bird  
Years ago

I would be there in a flash.

Reply #100061 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If it were a legit game, surely you'd have hundreds of people from out of state flying in for it?

As someone was saying to me earlier, 20,000 could beat what many NBA teams might get at home against dud opposition?

Reply #100066 | Report this post

"  
Years ago

Reply #100067 | Report this post

I would go for sure.... does the venue in Melbourne seat 20,000 though? I would have thought only around 14,000

having said all of that, wouldn't it cost too much to make it worthwile though?

I guess it would do a lot to help the Nba but how will it help the Nbl, surly it will just make our product look inferior???

Reply #100068 | Report this post

Mufflover  
Years ago

It could bring more interest in our product, I would be there in a flash. It's not that unfathomable either because they already go to Mexico etc to play games, ideally it'd have to be a pre-season game or post season exhibition so we'd have to wait until next anyway.

Reply #100071 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I'd be there. Wouldnt miss it.

Reply #100074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

likewise i would go. i think lots of people from all the states would make the trip.

Reply #100078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Planning for an NBA game here was at very late stages before being scrapped once before.

Reply #100079 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

i'd go no worries, where would they play it?

Reply #100086 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

It would sell out for sure. I don't know if that alone makes it feasible though.

Reply #100089 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I doubt a regular season game would work. NBA team play an average of 3 games per week. With travel time and jetlag it just wouldn't be feasible.
A preseason game would be awesome.

Reply #100090 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

I'd go on a road trip for sure. Maybe catch an NBL game while im down there aswell. Basketball road trip to see NBA and NBL, something that had never even crossed my mind before i read this.

Reply #100091 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

The Sonics started there season in Japan in 2004. Travel time etc wasnt an issue for them..

Reply #100095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rockets and sac-town did it last year or the year b4 too?

Reply #100099 | Report this post

John Lawrence  
Years ago

only 2 stadiums could really hold such a game... Sydney's Acer Arena (was Superdome) and Vodafone Arena, but I would be there if they could actually do it.

Reply #100101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rod Laver Arena (Tennis main court), not Vodafone (the Comm game venue)

Dosn't Boondall in Brissy hold like 14,000?

Reply #100104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boondall holds 12,000 when configured for basketball.

Acer Arena/SuperDome in Sydney holds a max of just over 18,000 for basketball.

I believe the Clippers were one of the teams scheduled to play here a few years ago. There were a lot of funds around for pre-Olympic events to show off the venues. That, I believe, was going to be one game in both Sydney and Melbourne.

Remember the NFL game in Sydney? Denver vs ??? Can't remember...

Reply #100107 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I for one would be happy to pay double the price to have it at The Ent Cent (11,000 capacity) instead of Rod Laver (14,800) or Acer Arena (17,400).

What sort of price would people expect to pay to see a game?

Reply #100108 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I'm not an NBA fan by any means, but a game in Melbourne would be enough for me to go over, just for the chance to experience an NBA game live, what might be my only ever chance.

And I think a one off game in somewhere like Melbourne would see fans come in from all states to see it, which would ensure a good crowd.

Reply #100116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am there, drove over for the Aus vs US games in 2000 and would do it again in a heartbeat.

I have been on other basketball road trips for finals.

Reply #100124 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

What are people's thoughts on having an NBL/NBA double? Say have an NBL All-star game as a bit of pre-game entertainment and then have the NBA game afterwards.

Even if only a couple hundred non-NBL supporters go to the NBL match, it's better than nothing, and it would provide a huge opportunity for our league gain some exposure.

Reply #100129 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i dont think i would like the double, it would make our product look less interesting especially for neutral people who are coming just to see an NBA show.

Reply #100134 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

this may sound far fetched, but i dont see any reason why it couldnt be held at Telstra Dome! A configuration similar to that of the Wrestling would work nicely!! 72,000 from memory...

Reply #100148 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Could happen, but could an NBA game attract enough people for it to work?

Reply #100151 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Forget a double, but I'd most definately drive/fly down to Melbourne to watch a NBA game, even a preseason game.

Not to sure if the logisitics would allow a regular season game to be played in Australia.

There is a huge difference in travelling to Mexico to play a game compared to Australia. Imagine being a big stiff and having to sit on an airplane for numerous hours and then being expected to suit up within a few hours.

I'm sure the poker players on the Bucks would love a trip like that. A preseason game is more likely.

Reply #100155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who cares about the bucks bring the CELTICS!!!!!!

Reply #100338 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:22 pm, Tue 7 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754