Panther
Years ago

Booing your own team...

Tony Blair mentioned this in another topic and I wanted to bring up the same discussion, should you really Boo your own team?????
I've heard and seen it happen in New York over the last 5 years or so since they've started to struggle and was quite shocked and some what disappointed to see it happen at the Sixers game on Friday night.
When they players went to the middle of the court at the end of the game and the court announcer said "let's put our hands together for your Adelaide Sixers", quite a few fans started to BOO!
I know it is frustrating but come on, what kind of real fan or supporter Boos their own team? It must be heart breaking as a player...

Topic #8991 | Report this topic

Skyhook  
Years ago

I agree Panther . You can show your displeasure with the team and coaches in another way.
I found myself yelling at Phil on friday to call a time-out when darren was getting trapped and turning the ball over.

I dont BOO my team, but i do yell things like "C'mon" and often find myself telling Willie to "play some D" and get back.

I think NOT applauding their efforts at the end when they have played like that is better than boo-ing.
I think silence would send them a message and not break their spirits.

Reply #101385 | Report this post

Dave Atkins  
Years ago

You boo lack of effort, not losing. Obviously some people saw it that way.
Interesting to watch the body language of some personnel after getting changed. Wouldn't exactly convey the message that they're hurting.

Reply #101390 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Spot on Panther, you would expect that from Sydney fans, not Adelaide..

Skyhook, on the money as well.
Hard for players to get up in the next home game, when they have been booed at the last one.
By the way, I think in New York, they are just booing Isiah!

Reply #101391 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

What about this scenario then:

Player A is being closely guarded by Player 1 and to shake him off actually pushes off Player 1 and he slips over.
Player A then cuts through the key past Player 2 who lifts his elbow and strikes Player A in the face, dropping him to the floor.

Do you Boo Player 2?

Reply #101392 | Report this post

The Early Bird  
Years ago

Dougie Macdonald-Taylor would approve not BOO

Reply #101395 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

I've heard the Lakers get booed by their home crowd before. Certainly the 76ers get a serving from their fans on the odd occasion.

I agree with Dave Atkins. The only time I would boo my home team was if there was a lack of effort. I have felt like doing it the last two games. Booing a team trying their hardest but losing is classless. Booing a team that is just flat is classless. However, I see nothing wrong with booing a team that is not trying or doesn't seem the least bit frustrated by playing flat. Some would call that disrespectful, but I consider a team playing half assed is disrespectful to their fans.

Just my view.

Reply #101397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shouldn't boo but I think it was just an overflow of emotion from fans that now realise that we will probably be competing for the eighth play off spot at best (I know its a tough call so early but it appears that way). We need to make sure we go at least 2-1 with the Dragons, Breakers, Slingers and Pigs. If we do that plus pick up the odd home game with the other 7 teams we should still make the 8.

The most disappointing thing for me on Friday night was the lack of leadership without Maher. And I'm not talking leadership on the scoreboard - I mean how about one of the older, more experienced players doing some hard things like taking a charge, diving on the floor or setting a good screen. It's gotta be hard for the Ngs and Hills of the team to be inspired watching a bunch of veterans not even attempting to play D. Its one thing to get beaten if you are busting your guts but to have a quasi screen set on you which you make no attempt at getting over/under/thru instead preferring to stand there and watch your guy score while you are still on the 3 point line where the screen had been set hoping that he misses so you can get the ball and run your own "shake and bake but go nowhere then shoot a tough off balance shot early in the 24" offence is not good enough!

Reply #101399 | Report this post

tony Blair  
Years ago

first time I reckon in 20 years of watching the sixers that i heard them being booed.

I thought at first I had misheard it and they were booing the umps etc, but as Panther said they booed the players. Faint but it was there.

IMO I don't think the team is trying.

Where is the Sapwell slides, the Catalini in your face, you want the ball come and get it type antics. Were is a guard say give the ball to me when Cooper is dancing on the end line trying not to fall out of court.

Where is their desire, where is their professionalism. WHERE IS THEIR PRIDE!

Would I boo them, probably not, but I can understand the frustration of the fans, and if the team posts in the same performance I can see the fans booing louder.

Reply #101400 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

One of the other things that I also noticed at Friday's game was Farley's body language about 3 minutes out from the end of the game. Very disinterested, really would have rather been anywhere else but on the court. At one point a player went to pass him the ball and Erie intercepted and Farley hesitated whether to even give chase. At that point you must take him off because he's no good to any of the other guys on the team. He's a very competitive player I know, but at least demonstrate to some of the other players on the team how you go about your business correctly. What kind of lesson is he teaching the young kids on his team or watching???

Reply #101401 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

I hate the idea of booing, its not what a true fan would do. Its toxic to the team and 'entertainment side' of the game. The only postive to be taken from it, is that the anger the fans are showing is a form of passion they have for the 36ers, and the desire they have to see the team win. With losing comes frustration and when the coach is as frustrating to watch with his 'relaxed' approach it builds pretty quickly from players and fans. I'd like to see Phil's body language reflect a desperate desire, that WILL trickle down to the players.

Reply #101402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know this might sound petty, but I noticed during warmups at the Hawks Game, that even doing layups the 6ers weren't "high 5'ing" or basically even acknowledging each others exsitence, whereas at the Hawks end Ballinger, Rampton, Groves, Campbell & Saville all appeared to be far more excited about playing and were really encouraging to the younger guys.

To me it just gave the impression that either the 6ers are a really quiet group of guys, or they just didn't car too much about that little part of the game. I know we have lost Dusty & Reesy from last year, as well as Jacob and Oscar, but really only Reesy is quite vocal amongst those 4 (and he hardly ever did the warm-ups anyway!)

Reply #101409 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not enough passion?

Like the difference between a Sturt ABA bench and the Norwood bench for example? One makes a lot more noise!

Reply #101410 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

101399 - if we can go 2-1 with those FOUR teams I think it would be a miracle

Reply #101416 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Surprised to say the least with some of the posts on here.

It's not ok to boo them at the dome but it is ok to come on a public forum like Hoops and bag the crap out of them and the coach. What's the difference, they are both public domains?

They deserved to be booed the other night, they need to know from coach to player to owner that that type of performance will not be tolerated by the supporters who ultimately pay their wages.

And while I'm on a roll, Boti if you read this how about being objective instead of protective.

Stop trying to deflect the issues around and away from Phil. As we all know, the buck in any sport stops with the coach.

I'm sure if it was Goorg your articles to date would have a very different slant.

Reply #101417 | Report this post

Dave Atkins  
Years ago

Well said, Fiji.

Reply #101421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Booing snaps the team into action so be it but the players must become aware that the crown isn't happy with the game they are playing.

Reply #101426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Booing any team let alone your own is, well, just not necessary or helpful.

Silence is golden.

Reply #101441 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Can you imagine that, at any Stadium after the game the courtside announcer says:

"OK everybody put your hands together for your team the "

....and then the crowd goes .

That would be absolute GOLD!

Reply #101442 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

the knicks fans are a disgrace, i would hate to see that sort of environment for the sixers at the dome, and it's hardly encouraging new york, who i think have a pretty talented list with starbury, franchise, crawford, frye, curry, robinson, rose, Q-Rich etc. this could be one of the reasons theyre under-achieving.

And yes I know i wanted to boo dusty but he doesnt play for the sixers.

Reply #101444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they dont want to get boo'd then they should learn how to play properly. They think there all that but cant even win a game.

Reply #101448 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

You shouldn't boo your own team. Teams lose, teams win. That is how the game is played. One day you will be frustrated, the other, on top of the world!

(Unless your a Razors fan, you would be forgiven for booing WSR after so many losses)

Reply #101460 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I agree with everything Fiji said. We as fans pay good money to watch them play and deserve to see them play with some heart and pride!

I was actually with one of the booers and considered doing it my self after the woeful performances by the sixers lately. Should we as fans sit idly by like Smyth and think "Oh dont worry guys maybe in another 5 to 6 weeks you will gel" I dont think so. Hopefully the players heard and will start putting in much greater effort.

Gee it must be tough for these guys having their dream job, getting paid lots, being treated like stars, yet you guys want to keep patting them on the back and saying its wrong to boo them when they put in mediocre performances??

Im sure all the booers and the people that are being negative about them atm including my self would stop being like that if they gave 100% every night!

Reply #101461 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

Ill happily boo the oposition team any day of the week, hell I still boo the umps at the start of the match..... But draw a line at booing my own team.

The best way to show your displesure is to walk & leave an empty seat.

Booing has been around for centuries. Booing your own team is just not on.

Go the boo, only for umps and opposition.

Reply #101466 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

speaking of umps, where's caroline this season... i'm missing booing her!

Reply #101486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

having a baby

Reply #101489 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Another one ? is the one Rees's ?

Reply #101516 | Report this post

Carlo  
Years ago

If booing is the only way to get the message across to be players then so be it. At the moment there is just no heart in this team and no one is playing for each other. An outsider might look at farleys points and think he had a good game. He is just not doing the fundamental things like defence. He missed so many open threes that many of the other imports in the leauge would drain all day long and why wont he drive. The shake and bake is just so old. The sixers used to live and die by the three pointer but now besides Brett Maher we dont really have a good three point shooter. Mastrovich shows signs of being a great player but you cant excell sitting on the bench while MARK TRASH is out there sleeping on offence, taking your minutes. I Really believe wheeler will come good and is showing signs of this, But copeland just needs to chill out and take his time on offence and not jack up shots from the car park with 20 seconds on the shot clock. The ninga and hill are doing a reasonable job and are only going to get better. Now for my biggest tip of the day, PASS IT TO HORHATH in the second half and then cut for an open shot when they double and triple team him. DUHHHH!

Reply #101521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isn't it a little rich to ask the fans to cheers for your team with that "let's put our hands together for your Adelaide Sixers" and huddle at that end after a performance like that.....

maybe huddle up and thank the fans but asking the crowd to cheer for a team after a performance like that is really asking for silence or the boo birds

Reply #101522 | Report this post

Dave Atkins  
Years ago

Good point. Should they be huddling after the game and asking for recognition after a loss?

Reply #101526 | Report this post

Samuel  
Years ago

Did Horvath deserve booing? Did Wheeler? How do you differentiate with a 'blanket boo'? This team is hurting and this is definitely NOT helping!

Reply #101530 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

'this team is hurting and this is definitely NOT helping!'

Samuel from all i've seen of the body language of some of the players before, during and after the game they aren't hurting maybe that is part of the problem they seem to expect to lose and are unfazed by the result.

like many have already stated a loss is acceptable if the team has given its all, and all the other cliches, but still come up short.

Reply #101543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't boo...never boo your own team it doesn't help.

Hows this for an idea though.

When the court announcer asks everyone to clap our 36's,how about the team clap us for staying around and watching, while we stay completely silent. If they didn't get the message then i'd be surprised

Reply #101557 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I stand by my statement of saying fans shouldn't boo their own team. I don't think anyone at all is patting them on the back as was said in this topic earlier. The criticism is plentiful at the moment for the team and coach. Don't you think management see the crowds dwindling? Don't you think they can see the win/loss record? If this continues there will definitely be heads on the old chopping block.
Smyth for one, Lanard, Farley, these guys would definitely be under review.
I would rather sit in silence at the end of the game and give no recognition than booing. Trust me, if they keep playing like this crowd numbers will plunge and that to me would be enough to let the players know how shit they have been playing.

Reply #101784 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754