Kent Brockman
Years ago

Phil Jackson on Shaq V Kobe

Kobe-Shaq feud revealed

13oct04
PHIL JACKSON painted Kobe Bryant as a pampered star that took liberties to an extreme degree, caused dissention in the dressing room and received more concessions than any other player he has ever coached.

"Nobody this year, or in any year I've coach, has received more allowances than Kobe Bryant," the former Los Angeles Lakers coach Jackson said in an excerpt of his new book "The Last Season" which was printed in the Los Angeles Times.

Jackson said he tried unsuccessfully a number of times to trade Bryant and that the deteriorating relationship between superstars Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal was much more than simply a war of words with O'Neal at one point barking: "I'd like to pound the chump".

The Lakers suffered a disappointing playoff defeat to the Detroit Pistons last season and then purged popular coach Jackson and traded former league MVP O'Neal to Miami.

Jackson said he realised before the beginning of the 2003-04 National Basketball Association season that he could no longer coach a defiant Bryant and asked general manager Mitch Kupchak to trade Bryant.

But he said that request fell on deaf ears. Jackson also wanted to deal Bryant to Phoenix in 1999 for Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion but was told both times that owner Jerry Buss would never allow it.

"A major confrontation between us seems unavoidable," The Times reported Jackson as saying. "I won't coach this team next year if he is still here. He won't listen to anyone. I've had it with this kid."

The Lakers turbulent season was only aggravated by Bryant's sexual assault trial in Colorado which caused him to miss a number of games, practices and some of training camp.

Jackson said the Lakers footed part of the bill for Bryant's travel back and forth between Los Angeles and Colorado and that an ungrateful Bryant complained his private jet wasn't up to standard.

"Kobe was unhappy with the type of plane that was selected: he wanted one with a higher status. He should feel fortunate that he's not footing the bill himself," Jackson said.

Bryant, who scored 35 points in the Lakers 87-80 pre-season debut loss to Seattle on Tuesday, still has a civil suit pending against him from his female accuser who decided to drop the criminal charges.

In their last face-to-face meeting following Los Angeles' loss in the NBA Finals, Jackson told Bryant he was going to retire.

"Really?" said Bryant sounding surprised, his eyebrows rising.

Jackson had a completely different opinion of three-time playoff MVP O'Neal.

While they also had their share of differences, Jackson described coaching O'Neal as "an experience I will cherish forever".

He said the two superstars were at each other's throats constantly and the relationship between the two was worse than anyone outside of the Lakers' organisation realised.

"At times the pettiness between the two of them can be unbelievably juvenile."

O'Neal and Bryant have continued to trade insults from afar. Their war of words increased last week when O'Neal called Bryant a "clown" and said "I'm not the one buying love".

O'Neal's "buying love" comment was in reference to statements Bryant gave Colorado police that O'Neal paid US$1 million dollars in hush money to various women he had sex with.

During their first meeting of the 2003-04 season, Bryant warned Jackson that O'Neal wasn't going to get away with criticising him in public.

"If he starts saying things in the press I will fire back," Bryant said. "I am not afraid to go up against him. I've had it. I am tired of being a sidekick."

When Buss announced publicly during the middle of last season that the team had suspended contract negotiations with Jackson it was done to appease Bryant, Jackson said.

Buss claimed on Tuesday that Jackson's comments contained a number of errors but he refused to go into detail. He added that the club is still on good terms with Jackson.

"Both readers and the media should accept the fact there are inaccuracies," Buss said. "Despite the fact the material in the book will portray individual players or our organisation in an unflattering light we will decline further comment."

But he went on to say, "Phil remains a friend of the organisation and the appreciation for what he has done should remain unchanged

Topic #901 | Report this topic

Jasmine  
Years ago

Sour grapes from Phil. The whole saga is pathetic, and I wish all three would just shut up. And I'm a Lakers fan.

Reply #9877 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Since when is putting out a book on the last season of your coaching career "sour grapes"? I think someone is slightly bias towards Kobe...

Reply #9883 | Report this post

Pier 1  
Years ago

I hate Kobe with a passion. i can't believe that out of the 3 men, Kobe was the one to stay.

Reply #9898 | Report this post

Dohhh!  
Years ago

As a Laker fan since back in 83 having watched the Showtime Lakers. Gone through the mid 90's with only average teams. Having Shaq and Kobe meant that I could again enjoy my NBA team. That Kobe would not understand that his attitude would be the cause of so much friction, and that then the team would destroy itself just to keep him show that he has no understanding of anybody but himself. Having watch Magic take the team to Championships, Kobe and his attitude are so opposite to the team enviroment that I loved makes me want to puke. I will be a dispondent Laker fan now until they get rid of Kobe.

Reply #9901 | Report this post

phat prophet  
Years ago

Can you imagine a lakers team with Shaq, Jason Kid and Shawn Marion.

Reply #9902 | Report this post

Dohhh!  
Years ago

Stop it you are going to make me cry.

(Mod: Funny!)

Reply #9905 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Im with Dohhh!
I loved the 80's Lakers - watching them play with Magic running the show was how Basketball and sport in general should be played, Each person on the team doing their bit to make the TEAM better. Magic as much of a superstar as he was (and still is) loved throwing an assist even more than scoring. All the players always seemed to be having fun on the floor.
Unfortunately the Lakers last year didnt capitalise on what they had - egos got in the way and the dynasty came tumbling down. Maybe it wasnt all Kobe but he seems to be the common denominator in all the angst.
Only time will tell who will get it all together this season - I just hope the Lakers can get back to being a great TEAM!

Reply #9908 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Kidd, Marion and Shaq would have been a fearsome trio, only rivaled by the fact that had it gone down the Lakers salary would have rivaled the Knicks with only 3 players :P

Reply #9948 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

I said it was sour grapes from Phil because in this instance it is he who is dragging up all the crap that just won't go away, despite the team being taken apart. I also said ALL THREE should shut up, meaning Phil, Shaq & Kobe.

I think it is sour grapes because Phil has been all to ready to rip into Lakers management since he was shown the door. I think it is amazing that Jerry West was essentially given a ticket out of the Lakers franchise by Jackson, and since then he has never spoken a bad word against his former team. Not Jackson, not Jerry Buss, not Shaq, not Kobe. No one. He is professional. Phil on the hand always, on every single occasion, took the side of Shaq and not Jerry Buss or Mitch Kupchek or Kobe, despite the fact that Shaq clearly had things to answer for himself. Eventually that was his undoing. He aligned himself with Shaq even when it put him against his other superstar, against the owner and against the management, clearly ignoring the fact that Shaq was responsible for a fair amount of the crap circulating around the Lakers the last 3 seasons.

Oh and by the way I agree with the other posts. All the Lakers soap opera for the last few seasons has done is make me appreciate the 1980s Lakers even more.

Reply #9952 | Report this post

Tyler  
Years ago

They are better off without each other - they wouldnt have won another championship together. Too many egos on one team. Do you think scottie ever fought with MJ?? No way.

Reply #14864 | Report this post

top dog  
Years ago

Jasmine you're an idiot. Look where the Lakers are today. Enough said.

Reply #21018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jasmine you are obviously a big Kobe fan, but Kobe has a lot to answer for. Phil never took sides. Shaq was willing to listen to Phil and he understood more then Kobe the system Phil was trying to achieve.
Kobe will never reach the same heights as MJ as he is more interested in himself then the team mates he plays with.

Reading Phil's book 'mindgames' is very interesting. Phil speaks in high regards for Kobe but also explains his down falls.

Reply #21022 | Report this post

crows98  
Years ago

Tyler,

The difference between Scottie Pippen and Kobe Bryant is that Pippen never came out in public and criticized Jordan for being a selfish player. Jordan and Pip knew each was good each other but were not necessarily happy with each individual by the end of the Bull's championship run.

It is one of Phil Jackson's earlier books where he talks about Pippins hatred for being Jordan's sidekick (for use of a better word) and on more than one occasion asked to be traded by using the excuse he was not happy with the contract offers the bulls were putting forward.

This is not a slap in the face to MJ or pip because that is one of the greatest dynasties ever.

Reply #21117 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

I had no idea this thread was still going.

Top Dog...I think my post in the "Are the Lakers a better Team without Kobe?" thread is a good enough answer to your "look at where the Lakers are today" comment.

Anonymous...I am a Kobe fan, but I'm not blind to his faults and I don't try to delude myself that he doesn't have to wear his share of the blame for the failures of the team. In regards to Phil taking sides with Shaq, I was more referring to Phil's willingness, at every opportunity so it seemed, to bash into Kobe and his attitude. However, he was never as harsh in his comments regarding Shaq when he degenerated into the childish behavior he has been known for but so many people have so quickly forgotten about.

What did Phil do when Shaq showed up out of shape four straight seasons or when he publicly said he was going to "heal on company time" when asked why he put off his toe surgery for so long in 2002? Or when he shouted "pay me" to Jerry Buss and Mitch Kupchak during a pre-season game or when he frequently blamed every player on the team except himself at different times during the season for losses (like he has done recently in Miami.) Phil didn't just sit on his hands in these incidents, but the lack of discipline and leadership shown by Shaq in these examples never brought the kind of wrath from Phil then often times far less from Kobe always did.

Just a side note, while I personally don't believe Kobe is as good as Jordan and I don't believe he ever will be, the reasons you highlight as to why he would never be as good were exactly what people were saying about Jordan himself before 1991.

Kobe is no angel, but I don't see the point digging up the dirt on him because everyone else in the basketball world is doing that for me. The Big 3 of Phil, Shaq & Kobe all did wonderful, memorable and historic things during their run with the Lakers. But all three, not just Kobe, made an awful lot of mistakes as well.

Reply #21296 | Report this post

Abeiku  
Years ago

As much as I do respect Phil, he should just shut up. He clearly took sides with Shaq, and Shaq has actually proved that he wasn't giving his all in Lakers. How long was he begged to loose some weight in order for him to be more efficiet? Did he?..No ! Yet what was the first thing he did when he went to Maimi? Loose 30 pounds and he became more effcient. Phil you never made mention of that. Why can't people see that Shaq really didn't like the Lakers and was just using Kobe, who is the most entertaining player in the NBA as of now as an excuse. I hate that immatured 7 feet guy. Its not because of him that Heat is doing well...consider his absence and think about it, but once again that's Shaq for u, feeding off Dwayne Wade. The truth will be told.Anyways I'm not a laker fan.

Reply #24240 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

So Shaq fed off Penny? Kobe can carry a team on his own back and doesn't need Shaq?

Reply #24284 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

Problem with todays NBA. Nobody wants to play second fiddle. People make reference to the 80´s, Birds Celtics, Magics Lakers & Dominique Hawks to name a few. All had good players aswell - Mc Hale Johnson Ainge & Parish, Worthy Kareem Scott & Chuck Nevitt, not so much the Hawks with Rivers an Allstar and maybe Wilis. But there was never a doubt who the marquee player was. Now Mc Grady doesn´t want to play with Carter, then complains Orlando has not enough talent. Kobe, Shaq and Jackson can´t get along and lets agree all had some part in the Lakers demise. Kidd gets coaches sacked (sorry BT). You can watch Carmelo sulk in a recent win when he didn´t play in the last minutes of the 4th or ot, Denver came back from about 15 down with him on the bench.
But there is some hope. Watch Memphis play with no superstar, the Suns move the ball and fastbreak, Ray Allen´and the Sonics jack threes even the clinical Tim Duncan and the Spurs play near perfect basketball. I think you will find the teams who are at the top of the West at least are embracing a team first attitude with little turmoil.

Reply #24299 | Report this post

kertis  
Years ago

Reply #37664 | Report this post

kert  
Years ago

KOBE IS THE BEST PLAYER EVER ALL OF YOU HATERS OUT THERE GO TO HELL!!

Reply #37665 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Kobe should thank his lucky stars that Shaq played for the Lakers!

Reply #37666 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Kobe should be kicking Shaq some $$$$ as without the Diesel Kobe would have zero, I'll repeat, zero rings....

Hmmm, good dominating shooting guard as are dime a dozen in the NBA, each team has one, let's see, their is Carter (similar numbers to Kobe), Mc Grady (similar numbers to Kobe), Wade (similar number to Kobe, but way smarter, keeps his mouth shut), Gilbert Areanas (similar numbers to Kobe), you're all getting my drift, but how many 330 pound 7'1 centres are there running around in the NBA that produce like Shaq, and include his intimidation, and overall game. Answer NIL. Only one 7 foot plus centre comes close to Shaq and that's Yao.

Sorry, Timmy D, Dirk, KG are PF's, yes seven footers, but they all play the PF.

At least Shaq has the class and intelligence to recognise that Wade is the man of the team, something Kobe couldn't/wouldn't and never will accept.

Reply #37697 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

I have been a Laker fan for years and not phill nor shaq nor kobe are going to chaing my laker fan passion. If Kobe go and play a game gives it his 200% I don't care about anything else. Dont forget that all three of them won 3 rings. I repeat all three of them won three rings!

Reply #38043 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:49 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754