cheezeburger
Years ago

No need for 7 footers?

interesting to note that atlanta has no 7 footers in there 15 man roster to start the season.

is the a sign of the changing game of the nba?

Topic #9179 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Worth noting that they aren't really rated as contenders either...

Reply #103788 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Schenscher anyone??

Reply #103789 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

are they channeling the ghosts of Spud Webb in Atlanta still cheez?

Reply #103790 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Speaking of 7 footers I was watching some Euro basketball today, not Euroleague, the next one down, the EUFA Cup equivalent. Anyway, there was a German side playing an Italian side, fairly tight at half time, one of the commentators makes the point that one of the sides (Italian I think) was playing without their Australian 7 footer Wade Helliwell, at which point the other commentator steps in to just hang sh!t on Helliwell for about 5 minutes!!!

"He was only getting about 15 minutes a game for his team last year due to his very limited offensive capacity. It just makes me so mad to see these 7 footers who don't work on their game, it's not as though you see 7 footers walking down the street every day, if they make the effort to work on their offensive game, get in shape, they can become great basketballers, it's just so disappointing to see the likes of Helliwell not work on their game"

Or something to that effect. I've got no idea how Wade's been doing but it struck me as pretty harsh from a comentator who didn't seem to have much knowledge of the game, he was talking about Wade's team last year being lead by the star on the team "I can't remember his name, I'm not good with names".

Is Ben Wallace not evidence that you can be an effective big man with limited offensive capabilities?

Reply #103794 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Cheeze, if Atlanta win more than 40 games you can talk about a changing game. I think it's more a fact that there are no quality 7 footers around at the moment to burn a roster spot on.

Reply #103798 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Cheeze, if the Hawks win more 35-games, I will start a the Hawks are going to change the game, a team without a 7 footer thread.

Reply #103799 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Doc - lack of talent hasnt stopped Atlanta burning roster spots numerous times in the past!

Reply #103802 | Report this post

Knackers  
Years ago

Maybe the are planning of changing their team into a tall attacking soccer team, fingers crossed

Reply #103812 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

It inevitable that the Hawks are going to stink it up again.

Reply #103814 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Bizzy, be careful..... Last season the Hawks were 26-56. This year they have added a decent PG and a decent backup centre, along with a nice bruising PF rookie. I like them for 35.

By saying there is no need for 7 footers I'm guessing if your were a GM and Dirk, KG were available you'd knock them back. Yes, the post-up in the block 7 footer is a dying dinosaur, but the PF/SF running 7 footer is the new breed.

Reply #103819 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

You could be right TR, but I just can't see it happening.

Reply #103824 | Report this post

T-Bomb  
Years ago

C'mon guys this is ATLANTA!

Where a losing culture has prevailed for god knows how long, regardless of the amount of talent on the roster.

When was the last time they had a playoff team, let alone a team that has changed the face of the NBA?

Reply #103825 | Report this post

Knackers  
Years ago

Its a losing culture in all sports for Atlanta too, I mean the Braves were the best baseball team of the 90's and I think they only made 1 world series.

A city of mediocrity. potential draftees beware

Reply #103827 | Report this post

Matt W  
Years ago

just because there arnt many post up 7 footers around dosent mean their effectiveness is dying out.

how many of the last 10 years championship teams havnt had a post up "big" man?

jordan's second 3 peat and the pistons (tho they had wallace and wallace)

Reply #103828 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Wallace and Wallace are post up big men.

Although Big Ben couldn't score in a whore house with a fist full of fifties, he still likes to post up.

Reply #103830 | Report this post

Knackers  
Years ago

i dunno I think shaq has nearly won half of the championships in the past 10 years, rumour has it he posts up ok.

Duncan was failry handy too.

Poor comment mattw

Reply #103832 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

We're not talking about a play-off team or a contending team here. we are talking about a team that has to only win an extra 9 games over 82.

I like their chances.

Reply #103833 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Are you serious Knackers? I never knew Shaq was a post up player!

MattW, stupid comment. Do you actually watch basketball?

Duncan, ok so he's only 6ft11", close enough to 7ft, posts up and last time I checked they won the title in 2005.

Last 4 championship teams have had a post up player.

Reply #103834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stupid comment? re-read my comment i am agreeing with all of you about 7 footers...

i said how many HAVNT had post up big men?

in otherwords im saying they are important to a championship team...

read carefully guys

Reply #103851 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Lets not forget Greg Oden entering the league next season

Reply #103852 | Report this post

Years ago

Why haven't the Hawks offered David Andersen a roster spot yet? Seems like he could have played the role of the token 7-footer alright.

Reply #103878 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

3, I read that they had, just Dave is earning more playing in Europe than what he would be in the NBA, so he decided to stay with CSKA.

Reply #103900 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Speaking of Andersen a saw his game for CSKA against the 76ers in the final of the NBA Europe preseason tournament. Very impressive. He's certainly not a back to the basket post up big man but he's a genuine 6-11 and his face up game from range is very tidy. He hit a string of shots from just inside the three along with a few inside finished and a brace of rebounds. He's got a very nice looking shot and brings a different dimension than most big men going around.

Reply #103985 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

you fools.im sure the hawks have offered a contract to him. but the money to buyout his contract from his club and then offer him a contract maybe the prices dont match the hawks thinkings.

Reply #104526 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Cheeze, no one knows what the Hawks are thinking. Refer to the last decade...

Reply #104928 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:38 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754