DrB
Years ago

Salary Cap - Tigers, Bullets

Just wanted to get an idea of what everyone feels about the salary cap, it seems rather clear that teams like the Tigers and Bullets who have deep benchers could be breaching the salary cap. What is everyones thoughts? If so what is the NBL doing about it, are they scared to enforce due to not wanting to lose money that Groves invests in the NBL!

Topic #9273 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No point having a salary cap now that all teams are privately owned

Reply #104902 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

It all comes down to good business management, something Adelaide lack.

Reply #104904 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

So if no cap do you think the competition would be one sided and inturn the NBL would get smaller as clubs may fold.

Reply #104905 | Report this post

Get Err done  
Years ago

How do you figure they are over the cap? I dont think any of the teams are over... stop whinning

Reply #104906 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

This is just an opinion Get Err Done, just was watching that great match and looked at the rosters and just thought they could be, thats the point of my topic to see if others think this could be the case as well!

Reply #104907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any coincidence that eddie groves owns the brisbane bullets (blatant salary cap cheats) and ABC learning centres who happen to be a major sponsor of the nbl?
if any other teams were breaking the salary cap, it is unlikely the nbl would publicly expose it. the game is struggling enough in most parts of australia without scandal further discrediting the sport

Reply #104909 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

A luxury tax similar to what they have in the NBA could be useful. Instead of trying to enforce teams to only spend $x just make them pay dollar for dollar for the amount they spend over $y and then redistribute that money to the teams who were below the cap.

Reply #104916 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Come on seriously, besides the first 6 players the Brisbane Bullets aren't that stacked. I really don't see how the Bulletts would be breaching the caps.
Melbourne on the other hand would have to be getting close if not over.

Reply #104917 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Panther, i think the following players would be demanding some Big money,
1.Bruton
2.Black,
3.Mackinnon,
4.Boucher,
5.Ere,
6.Rychart
7.Hill
8. Bradtke
Very deep roster, that ? should be asked by the NBL

Reply #104935 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Brisbane Roster

Ere - Import
Rychart - Import
Bruton
Mackinnon
Bradtke
Black
Tragardh
Boucher
Hill
Gibson
Williamson
Baynes

To me, that roster seems tight for sharing the cash.
Gibson/Williamson on min $ i guess, but commanding salaries for 6 players then above avg for others such as boucher and tragardh.
Just my opinion, not knowing what the cap actually is or what these players get.

Reply #104937 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

DrB you bet me to it!!

Reply #104938 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Panther, you're pretty optimistic there. They'd be blowing 40% of the cap on a single player.

Reply #104939 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

you need to hustle a little quicker .. ha ha .. totally agreee with Isacc, Panther very optimistic. Bruton would be on huge dollars, then exchampions who still demand big Money Bradtke, then Sam man the list just goes on and on .. i can picture them being under the cap

Reply #104945 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Teams must conform to both the NBL Points System and NBL Salary Cap (which has been set at $776,000 for 2006/07) each season for all player transactions.

Reply #104946 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

So knowing the cap is $776,000.00 .. panther still think Bullets and Tigers are under?

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=points_system

Reply #104948 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

With hand on my heart I believe the Bullets are under the cap!

Reply #104949 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

and with my hands down my pants I believe Sturty is on the blow....

Reply #104954 | Report this post

Campbell  
Years ago

fair call all of you, but how does brisbane and the tigers or the past 3 sydney teams fit under the "so called Points system"???

Reply #104979 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

I heard an interview with Phil Smyth on the ABC on day and he said that teams like Brisbane were able to pay their players legitmately within the cap.

they were paid ex amount to play. where the rest of their money comes from is from appearing at fetes, in commericals, doing school or corporate functions.

said that it was legal and other clubs like Adelaide were slow to exploit it.

Reply #105000 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:45 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754