Orlando Smith
Years ago

DONT CHANGE CLUBS ... Green grass stains

I have been doing some more reading of the forum, I think the concept of an open forum available to everyone is a great effort.

I want to start a discussion about changing clubs. I have now been at a couple of clubs and the problems seem to be similar at all of them.

I believe every club has the following problems

*-Coaches not good enough
*-Unreasonable parents pushing their own adgenda
*-Players playing in (perceived) wrong divisions
*-Division 1/2 getting all the benefit where lower divisions get lost in the shuffle
*-all the work done by a small percentage of volunteers

As I said these seem to be common problems. If you leave a club for any of these reasons you are going to be in for a shock as it will happen at your new club as well (it may take a while to see it as you will be out of the loop for the first little while).

I say wake up and work towards making your club better and dont be so quick to jump ship. I am not saying that leaving a club is never the right move otherwise I wouldn't have been a member of multiple clubs, but leave for the right reasons.

Now on that what would people consider to be the right reasons to leave a club and why?

Topic #9477 | Report this topic

Journeyman  
Years ago

Orlando. I think you make some great points.

However, as you get older and have been at the same club a change can be as good as a holiday and revitalise your enjoyment for the game, become friendly with new people, or play with friends or those that you played against and whose games you like, it can also remove perceptions of how the coaching staff think you play.

I agree that those problems exist at all clubs. Alot of people think that playing at certain clubs guarantee good coaching. Those that know know this is not always the case. Quality coaching is one of many problems in SA at the moment.

Reply #107585 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Talk to the parents with kids at more than one club ... grass stain central. Some have done it for team selection, some have done it because of friendship groups, most see exactly the same problems wherever they go.

Usually the only immediate relief from changing clubs is getting away from personality clashes. Oh, and a new uniform that doesn't smell quite so much. But the second one is only good until quarter time.

Reply #107590 | Report this post

business arising  
Years ago

It is very hard to leave a club and I dont think most people do it lightly. Sometimes though if you have been at a club for many years you are better off one for your own motivation and 2 to get new coaching ideas to better your own game. All clubs have their internal politics and it is usually all about the same stuff.

Reply #107595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A good reason is coaches who have fallen under the spell of certain powerful people and will do what that person or group wants.
Another is playing for a club where to many country kids play and the opportunity to play higher wont be a consideration.
On that topic, if you have country coaches doing district teams then you are stuffed. F'ville girls is a classic case of implosion where the interests of country goals and players supercedes the district comp.
Too many players who are your peer in your position would tend to suggest you look around unless you get the opportunity to improve .
Coaching a style that is not current, or relies too much on the physical is another.
Being at sturt is enough reason to move.
Clubs that don't offer individuals - move on.
Look at your Div 2 & 3 coaches, if they are ordinary and ur a div 2 or 3 player, shop around.
Old rule, play in the highest comp level you can as you improve against playing the best as opposed to travelling well in the 2 or 3's. This means usually playing for unfashionable clubs which are much derided by the top 4 clubs.
Don't believe everything your coaching staff tell you, find out some things for yourself.
Changing clubs can be a huge move for a kid. The results can be both good and bad but if you can play higher go, or believe the crap you'll get from other scribes that playing 2'ss is okay because the coaching rotates or the 2's coach is hot stuff. Change at any age level and don't look back.
Club loyality is the greatest con of the 21st century and is a one way street: they want it from you but offer little of of it back.
Sturt thrive on playing this trick and lots of kids play 2 and 3 div and don't develop despite the fact they will tell you their methodology is sound with great coaches and rotations.
If you play for fun and its fun playing, stay.
If you play to be the best and are not getting the opportunity, move

Reply #107620 | Report this post

Seen it all  
Years ago

Some of the reasons mentioned by Orlando are exactly why you should leave a club.We have all seen it - kids that just want to play ball, get recognised for doing their best regardless of which div and develop friendships. We have all seen it - a select group of parents who have an inflated view of how everyone should treat 'their star child', coaches that pander to these egomanaics and all at the expense of kids that geniunely want to play and enjoy the game. I have seen parents openly abuse players on their own child's team and the good old, "don't pass to him / her because you've done the work".If your club does not have coaches that treat all kids with respect and be prepared to tell parents to back off AND THEN SUPPORT the coach that has the guts to do that, you need to move on but you need to do it in an adult manner:
1. don't have an open forum whingey negative session in front of the kids.
2. ask the kids and listen to them - how are they doing and enjoying
3. make your decision but don't burn bridges - coaches and officials move on and your kid may just want to as an adult move back.
All clubs are important to the competition and all the volunteers need to be acknowledged but unfortunately there will always be some who are in it for their own egos. However to stay at a club that is destroying your kids love of the game, is also soul destroying - move on.

Reply #107625 | Report this post

Seen it all  
Years ago

Anonymous - last time I looked, country kids were still classified as basketball players, and basketball clubs are not regionally zoned, therefore these kids have every right to have the opportuntiy to play in the best level / league available to them in this state. Being city born shouldn't give you automatic rights to a spot on any team in any sport. Country kids have an enormous amount of commitment with travelling, foregoing their hometown social networks,struggling to get their share of the basketball dollar and the list is endless. The "country coaches" who are just basketball coaches looking to use their skills and continue to develop have as many rights in an equal playing field to coach Districts as someone in the city. These kids and coaches from the country regions are passionate about wanting to play / coach, so your beef with them is?

Reply #107630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Seen it all. I have a kid playing at one of the clubs mentioned that has its fair share of country kids in the same age group. If you are not good enough to beat these kids, then your simply not good enough.

These clubs do not notrmally pick country kids that cannot play for their div 1 teams. They might (in some cases)pick country kids to develop in div 2-3, but normally only take the best ready made players for div 1.

I do agree with an earlier post (#107620)that if you are not happy at a club, move on. Remember, what do you owe your club? Nothing! We all pay $$ for our kids basketball experiance. Just make sure you talk to all involved, including current and potential coaches & most importantly your kid, before you make the big move.

Reply #107633 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Scenario - Child playing Div 2 at current club - has the smarts and talent to develop into a great Div 1 player - BUT too many others in front and kid needs to grow 6inches - which he will eventually to be recognised for a Div 1 spot.

Has the opportunity to play at another club with some school mates in Div 1 - kid happy to move or stay - but has lots of mates at current club as well - Do you stay and wait for the adolescent growth spurt and trust that eventually kid is recognised and talent developed appropriately, or do you go and get the Div 1 training now and move Clubs?

Would staying and not getting the Div 1 training much matter to a child that is going to be over 6ft and is a natural B/Ball talent? Kid doesnt care one way or the other!

Reply #107676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seen it all.......I don't have a beef with country kids playing district at all, in fact quite the opposite. I do have a worry about country coaches , coaching district when I believe they foster the country kids above equally talented city kids so that their country teams are stronger.
I am aware there are no zones and this is a great pity as it would strengthen SA basketball.
#633 ....don't say too loudly that district clubs only recruit Div 1 players because one club in particular, with a home grown focus yells about its development policy but recruits every country junior it can for its Div 1 teams.
Country kids are welcome, the more the merrier but equalize the comp, zone and or let better clubs field more Div 1 teams before the number of kids not getting a run in higher grades quit the game.
Continually topping up with country kids helps the comp on one hand but lessens it as well because the marginal div 1/2 kids get squeezed out. The drop out rate is enormous especially in girls from U18 onwards and changes need to be made.
There is no anti country player in any of this but there is anti combined country and district coaching role because no one can serve two masters.

Reply #107677 | Report this post

Years ago

107677,Thats what I said; most of the kids recruted go to the div 1 side. There are a few exceptions; however its asking a lot of country parents to do all that travelling only to play in the 2's.

IMO you would not be able to keep a country parent interested if they knew they faced a season of travelling for div 2.

Reply #107681 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Thats why City Coaches should be open up and up front with Country Parents from the beginning - If there's a spot in Div 1 tell them if not tell them that too, so they are not under the impression that little Johnny is getting a spot in Div 1 - when he may not be and Parents time is not wasted coming to Adelaide for trainings etc.

Reply #107688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you want to change and feel it is the better option for you - DO IT

we were promised a div 1 spot for our kid at a top club - after knocking back a div 1 spot at another top club - our kid has only ever played div 2 - even though the club did fail us on the promise - we have won reserves state champs many times - and played in top teams for the grade.

it cost $750 - that was a few years ago (and it inculded new shoes)

transfer fee $50 or so from memory
former club made us pay fees (yes for 2 games and 4 trainings over summer season!)
new shorts, playing top, warm up top, windcheater and bag
plus fees for new club and a new pair of and 1s

Reply #107877 | Report this post

Axeman  
Years ago

"Little Johnny" must be a hell crap of a player. He is mentioned in dozens of other posts, mostly for missing out on court time.

What club does he play for?

Reply #107897 | Report this post

Anon-e-mouse  
Years ago

Axeman - I believe he plays for the "Parents from Hell Club" - which is the topic of another thread at the moment

Reply #107908 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

So who does "little Sally" play for?

Reply #107945 | Report this post

Anon-e-mouse  
Years ago

Magpie - isnt it obvious!

Reply #107958 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:15 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754