cLaRkY
Years ago

Brian Wethers

I was watching the coverage of the Sydney/New Zealand game earlier today on Fox Sports and saw Brain Wethers go down with an injury to his knee before the half.
He did not return to the game and i was wondering if anyone knows the extent of his injury?

Topic #9910 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Looked like a solid hit. They play another two times this round and I think he'll be hard pressed to be fit for those games.

Reply #113250 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

Ok, thanks Isaac.

Do you know what the injury is?

Reply #113252 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Looked like Vukona ran into his knee, which was already in a brace of some sort.

Reply #113253 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

ah ok then....didnt actually see the collision, just Wethers on the floor...

Lets hope for the Breakers sake he is back soon, he was just starting to get back into a rhythm

Reply #113255 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bit more info on Wethers:

"The physio's initial call was not good, probably season-ending, but we don't have anything official on that," Lemanis said.

Reply #113264 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

If it is season ending then that is a massive blow for New Zealand, because he was just getting back into his early season form.

Reply #113265 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

True, but I think that it could give them an opportunity to put him on waivers and get a replacement that could help get them back on track.

e.g., grab David Bailey (18PPG, 6APG, 5 RPG, 2 SPG last season with Perth) from the dope plantations and run:

Bailey/Henare
Olson/Darragh
Forman/Charleton
Powell/Vukona
Pepper/Behrendorff

Olson and Forman aren't consistent starting options, but Bailey's scoring can cover that and because he's a better scorer than Henare, he should leave those other two free for easy buckets more often.

Yes, it'd be a big slap in the face to Henare, but they won't make the play-offs unless they make a strong move like that IMO.

Light bench, yet they could run each for 10-15 minutes and Henare for 30 and keep things fresh.

Reply #113266 | Report this post

Defence win Games  
Years ago

Sad to say - but it would be great news for the Breakers if Wethers was out for rest of the season !

Isaac is spot on ! ( again ! - when will we see him on a selection panel somewhere ???? ).

Reply #113270 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

I read something on NBL.com earilier in the season that said Vukona had seriously hurt Wethers twice this season including a dislocated nose! Now this is number 3!

Reply #113282 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

Thats a good idea Isaac, i wouldnt have thought of it.

By bringing in a player like Bailey the scoring is covered, but could a team as you have listed still be a genuine playoffs team?
or will this lead to issues about court time?

Reply #113291 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well, I'd take that risk because as things are going, they're not going to make the play-offs, especially if they don't replace Wethers at all.

Without Wethers, they have to start Olson and Forman, and then the bench is easily the weakest in the league.

With someone like Bailey (no idea if he's even available), I think they would at least have a chance of sneaking past the Hawks and 36ers.

Other options might be trying to get someone like Kirk Penney on a 10 game contract if he's not already busy (contracted in Lithuania I think).

Reply #113294 | Report this post

Defence win Games  
Years ago

What ever they do they need to fix the PG position for next year or it will be just more of the same.

There are plenty of SG and SF out there - but they need to find a real PG or they will be left behind most teams.

Money invested in a good PG will pay back divende big time.

Reply #113298 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Seams like Vukona and Wethers often bump into each other, Wethers often coming off worst.
I seam to recall Vukona elbowing Wethers in the face and then Wethers rolling his ankle on Vukonas foot earlier in the season.

Reply #113321 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, "dope plantation"? That's a bit below the belt for someone just caught smoking it.

Reply #113338 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Whose belt? Below his belt would be a low call!

I'm sure he'll survive a little joke. (Excuse the pun.)

Reply #113340 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

I wouldnt mind seeing a return of Bailey....he seems to be at a LOW point in his career... (lame?)

Reply #113344 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's probably only a small chance (lamer!).

Apparently they have someone lined up to come in for Wethers already?

Reply #113348 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

The lame jokes could go on and on... Its good to hear they have a replacement lined up, Breakers would have to be my favourite team behind Adelaide.

Reply #113349 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wethers on injury waiver. In comes Pierre Wooten, 6'3" combo guard who has played in France and Turkey and also in various NBA summer leages (Charlotte, NO, etc). Came recommended by Kirk Penney.

If the paperwork goes smoothly, he should be ready to join them for this weekend's roadtrip.

Reply #113361 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Good news about the Wooten signing: will his fan club be called the Woo-ten Clan?

*snare drum hit twice, then cymbal crash*

Reply #113363 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754