Uncle Leo
Years ago

Agent Zero excerpts

Here are some of my favourite snippets from Gilbert Arenas chat wrap on ESPN.com:

Daniel (Richmond, VA): Gilbert, you the man around these parts. How do you keep from letting it get to your head?

Gilbert Arenas: Because I look at life that being in the NBA is like being like a leaf on a tree. Every season leaves blow off the tree and new ones grow on. I'm going to be a regular person when I leave, I was before I got to the NBA. I do normal stuff.

Steve: what kind of car do you drive?

Gilbert Arenas: Oooh. Wow. I have a Laboragini. I have a Ferrari (and we thought Isaac was the only guy cool enough to drive one). And I have an Escalade.

Los Angeles, CA: You gave my nephew your jersey before a game for his 10th birthday which has made him a fan of yours for life. How do you explain your amazing connection with the fans of Washington?

Gilbert Arenas: When you're a fan and a kid, I know what they want, what they expect. I try to make them come true. When I was younger I used to wish I was the fan in the front row that had a drink spilled on him.

Jeff, Sacramento, Ca: Point Blank.. all i hear about around here is how great Kobe Bryant is.. are you better than him?

Gilbert Arenas: Oh no. I'm not even going to lie about something like that. When you're that good, a lot of people don't like you. But the man is talented. If you ever just break down and watch him play, he's brilliant.

Travoris (Richmond, VA): What do you do to stay healthy throughout the year and how do you stay motivated? HIBACHI!!!!!! Stay Focused!!!

Gilbert Arenas: When you're in a sport that's all year round, just eat right. Don't eat a lot of junk food. But I don't know why I just said that because I just ate a piece of cake

Gilbert Arenas: Thank you very much for the support. I really do appreciate it. At the end of the year, I'm only going to say this once, at the end of the year, I'm going to have an autograph session for three days. I'll sign whatever you want. It'll be in Washington, D.C. after the season. Details to come.

Topic #9987 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Actually, I think I've changed my mind - Gilby will have to be the Official NBA Player of the Hoops SA Forum, and Boykins the Stat Midget can be his sidekick.

For anyone that doesn't really follow the NBA, you need to track down the video of Gilby hitting a recent gamewinner. You know how the NBA 3Pt line is a longer distance from the basket than in the NBL? The clock is running down, Arenas is bringing the ball up the court, and then he stops about 1-2 metres short of the NBA 3Pt line where his defender doesn't expect him to, and casually puts up the shot - all net, buzzer goes just as the ball slides through the net, game won. Gilby walks back like it's another day at the office.

Here it is:

Amateur video of the moment

Here's an interview after the shot - quite funny, watch it all

He calls a 35 footer a "quality shot" - haha.

Here's the top 10 from that day - he's #2 - #1 is LeBron hitting a 3/4 court short at the end of the third.

Reply #114054 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Leo was that all done by you typing or was that cut and paste from what was on a site...i would hate to think that Arenas owns one but can not spell Lamborghini correctly

Reply #114058 | Report this post

Uncle Leo  
Years ago

No it was cut and paste job. Either way, I think its a better position to own a Lamborghini than be able to spell it.

Reply #114068 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Good news: Gilbert has a blog on nba.com, here.

Just a couple of many, many hilarious insights into my new favourite NBA player: the opening line to his latest entry (in reference to recent game he played):

Oh yeah, I was smoking.

Or, his featured quote on the NBA blog home page:
The hibachi is coming to a city near you. I'm cooking chicken and shrimp, but if you want to throw a double team my way, filet mignon gets cooked. too.

He also talks about his birthday party, which featured an ice sculpture of the guest of honour. As you do.

But does his blog usurp Flea's as most entertaining blog on there? I'm not sure - I love Flea's Lakers infatuation and stream-of-consciousness style.

Reply #114213 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754