SVD
Years ago

Trivia Wednesday: Retired Numbers

Who is the player to have the shortest stint with an NBA team to have his number retired. Don't cheat.

Side note - there are some stupid retired numbers - Sacramento and Orlando have retired #6 for the Fans.

Miami have retired #23 for Jordan and #13 for Dan Marino (players are still allowed to wear #13 though).

Topic #19468 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

good one SVD

Jordan at the Wiz?

Didn't Wilt have his number retired only playing a few games for someone before getting traded?

Reply #230429 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Nice try but no cigar Kent - Wilt had his number 13 retired 3 times. 5 seasons in Golden State, 4 seasons for the Lakers and for 3 seasons in Philly.

Keep trying.

Reply #230430 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Also Jordan hasn't had his number retired at the Wiz ... yet.

Reply #230431 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

hmmm, i am guessing then a player that was killed early on or retired through permanent injury.

warm?

Reply #230432 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

very warm

Reply #230433 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Malik Sealy and the Twolves?

Reply #230435 | Report this post

COOPZ  
Years ago

going on kents thought about being killed early on, any chance its Len Bias?

died 48hrs after being taken by boston at pick #2, but never played.

Reply #230436 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

It is Malik Sealy - 1 year with the t-Wolves

Drazen Petrovic and Bobby Phillis both had thier numbers retired after they died - they had 3 seasons with their team

The shortest stint through not dying is Nate Thurmond for Cleveland who had 2 years there

Drexler had his number retired in Houston after only play 3 seasons - yet players like Kenny Smith & Robert Horry have not had their numbers retired.

Check them out here - very interesting

http://linky.com.au/9ngvc

Reply #230437 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Bobby Phills?

Reply #230439 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I like how Maravich had his number retired by New Orleans and Utah as he played for the New Orleans Jazz

Reply #230440 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

jerry krause got a retired honour? even though he doesnt have a number I thought the whole franchise hated him. also didnt think bill laimbeer was worthy of having his number retired, even though I always liked him.

Reply #230441 | Report this post

Jay-Jay Manners  
Years ago

To SVD,

Wilt was actually :

5.5 seasons with the Golden State/Philadelphia Warriors
3.5 seasons with the Philadelphia 76ers
5 seasons with the LA Lakers.

Also, Drexler played 3.5 seasons with the Rockets and Horry played 4 seasons with them. Not much of a difference. Not to mention Kenny Smith and Robert Horry, fine players that they were, shouldn't have their jersey retired anywhere.

Reply #230443 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Drazen Petrovic ever have his number retired?

Reply #230444 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Sorry SVD, just read your post in full, my bad.

Reply #230445 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I think Drexler prob had his number retired at Houston cos he comes from there and he had a great career in college at Houston

Reply #230446 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

I can't wait for 50 years time when the league MVP will have to bust out number 86 cos it's the lowest number available.

I reckon Kobe will insist 24 and 8 are retired and he'l probably try to retire number 10 for team USA too.

I was surprised to see divac got his number retired by sacramento, though his best years were there i didn't think he warranted that.

Reply #230450 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

so should Jordan have his number retired by Washington?

Reply #230451 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Probably not for 2 season's of play Kent..

Abe would not allow it anyway.

Reply #230452 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I'm surprised someone like Horace Grant didn't get his number retired for Chicago

Reply #230455 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Chicago is very stingy with their jersey retirements. Unlike Boston and their bingo-card of retired numbers.

Reply #230460 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I don't like the retiring of numbers, I like what AFL does and honors the former players. So when you were a number you know that this guy and that guy also wore it and it becomes more about pride and honor of the jumper.

Reply #230461 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

Why did miami retire 23 for jordan?

Reply #230487 | Report this post

Weapon X  
Years ago

Contributions to the game

Reply #230504 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

surely when shaq retires the lakers will retire his number
reckon detroit will retire any numbers from the 2004 championship team?
very good link svd!

Reply #230520 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

how many seasons did Reggie Lewis have before he died - i suppose it must have been a fair few

Reply #230565 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

6 answering my own question

AMAZING to see 2 things
1) Oklahoma haven't taken Seattle's numbers - maybe that keeps the door open for another Seattle franchise and

2) for the long history of the Clippers, not one jersey retired - shows how bad they really have been!

Reply #230566 | Report this post

Clips  
Years ago

Boom Patrol - The Lakers would have to retire Shaq's jersey. He won the three championships ;)

I can't see Detroit retiring any of the 2004 team. They were a team of stars, but not one was a true superstar.

Reply #230634 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

my goodness - how stupid are Miami Heat ?? numbers 13 and 23 wtf ????

why not retire Tim Hardaway #10 or Dan Majerle #9 instead

And what happen to Chris Mullin #17 - he was the face franchise for many years in the 90s - probably just behind Wilt and Barry as its top player

Reply #231207 | Report this post

dcanwade  
Years ago

other mnodern players who should have their numbers retired

#40 Seattle - Shawn Kemp
#20 Seattle - Gary Payton

they were the face of the franchise for years and helped them get to the Finals if not for those pesky Bulls .....

AND which team is going to retire Robert Horry??
6 rings is nothing to laugh about ....

AND if you die you get your number retired

#6 fans WTF ???? Miami is the stupid of all though ...

Reply #231212 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:10 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754