skull
Years ago

Tigers-Breakers Game, Crowd, Commentators

last nights game was a real positive for the league.
a wednesday night tigers opener,top teams in a close game,a full(3000+) stadium going off and coaches going off(one of them anyway).
for the start of the season, the atmosphere looked electric.
the fox coverage was good,for the first time gaze didnt look like he was doing a 'bill the steam shovel' impersonation.
he was focused on his job.
in a messy unorganized sort of way, the tigers actually exposed nz weaknesses for the rest of the league to see.
this is going to be a great season,bring it on!!

Topic #21161 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Good atmosphere for the game for sure. Crowd was 2,857, which I feel is disappointing considering the AFL was over, it is school holidays in Melbourne, and the Tigers were playing premiership favourites New Zealand.

In any case, the contest does bode well for the season ahead.

Reply #251323 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Herald-Sun's Ron Reed also thought last night's game was a step in the right direction for the NBL:

Herald-Sun: http://linky.com.au/dbi8t

"In the big picture, Sengstock says it is time the sport created a recognisable identity of its own. On the evidence of last night, so far so good."

Reply #251325 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

LC - the crowd number may have been disappointing but given it was a wed game,probably not to bad.
the main thing, and most importantly, the crowd looked like they had an absolute ball.
that vibe is contagious and hopefully will build as the season goes on.

Reply #251328 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree about the crowd vibe skull. Hopefully it is highly contagious!

I know of a few people that went and they said it was electric in there last night.

Reply #251332 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Obviously didn't love the end result, but even when the Breakers had the slender lead, I didn't think it was all that enjoyable to watch. Seemed a bit sluggish, like a training run? Either NZ expected to coast or played down to Melbourne's "first game jitters" level, or it was something else. Ronaldson the only notable performance for NZ while the Tigers had good games from most of their team.

Not sure if that result from NZ will be good for the 36ers or not?

Reply #251333 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

so Skull, what do you see as the main weaknesses exposed?

We all know they rely on their 3 point game. They put up more shots than any team and have a better shooting %. Their plan seems to be set up around the perimeter and pass until defence gets tired or exposes a gap

Do the players miss their battered savs and L&P?
Do they need "The Noize" to keep a rythym?

The main culinary delight at their home stadium is a hot dog on a stick dipped in batter, deep fried and then plunged into tomato sauce. Looks so inviting you need to taste it twice - the second time on the way up.

The Noize are two upper-middle aged men who wear pink wigs and bash away on drums behind the opposition bench to distract them - watch a home game video and try not to laugh too hard - yes, they are sober by all accounts....

Reply #251337 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That was a good Herald-Sun article about the atmosphere,the game and the like.

Basketball Australia would be silly to fine Melbourne for playing our National Anthem at their season opener against a New Zealand team.
And, it seems Sengstock is one of very few that doesn't like game music and dancing girls.

Reply #251339 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

props to Melbourne for the win. NZ has a good team but no one is unbeatable. NZ will regroup and work on a few things before tackling the Sixers.

Reply #251344 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I thought BT, while struggling a bit early on, commentated pretty well. He will only get better the more games he does.

Good start to the season though (and my tip was correct).

Reply #251345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are the chances of Breakers being 2-2 at the end of the week?

Honestly a bad result for Adelaide, was really hoping for a NZ win.

Reply #251346 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

It would make a big headline if someone/anyone was fined for playing the National Anthem.
Boti - is saying (today) that its gone and music will be turned down at the Dome.

Reply #251347 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

BT is way better than Carfino. He just needs to learn some names so that there are not so many stages of silence.
A lot of basic errors for two top teams. Considering the league has less teams there are still a few players last night who shouldn't get a game. DJ way over rated.

Reply #251349 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

jack toft - maybe not so much weaknesses,but more how to combat nz strengths.
kendall being a tallish,tenacious defender contained penney and crosswell just pestered bruton.
you could see penney's frustration.
once you can ruffle the gaurds feathers it comes down to the bigs executing.........if the bear was 5 years younger nz would be champions this season.

nz's 1,2 punch was met with the tigers 3,4(mackinnon,wortho)counter punch.

j/t as for the rest of your post,wtf.......

Reply #251351 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Agree DB5,BT was stiff early on but loosened up as the game went on and started cracking a few jokes with Gaze.

Reply #251352 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Tigers would be pretty happy with that crowd. That is close to their best opening night crowd at the Cage, even better than in the years where they were regularly getting sellouts by season's end. Given it was a televised mid-week game with increased ticket prices, and last year’s opening crowds was around 2000, it would be pleasantly surprising for the club.

Good performance by the club. They really put the screws on after it looked like NZ were going to run up a cricket score early on. NZ looked like a team that thought they would romp it in after they got that double figure lead, and some very sloppy errors at both ends of the court let the Tigers back in, and Mackinnon and Worthington showed their class.

That was the worst game I have ever seen CJ Bruton play, and he looked very much like a player who didn’t have a pre-season. It’s amazing how often a player has a good game first up back from injury and then struggles for a few games after that.

Reply #251354 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Just read Boti's article about no more national anthems or overplayed music during games however I was at the Blaze home opener last week and they played BAD 90's music all the way through the game. It circumvented any noise the crowd wanted to make (which was considerably loud for such a small crowd I thought).

Reply #251356 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Great work BT, worked well with Gaze. Very refreshing after 10 years of boredom from Carfino.

Reply #251362 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't mind Carfino but thought the commentating mix was decent last night. BT might be more accessible to casual fans in the way that he puts almost-newbie questions to Gaze? Good first effort.

Really wasn't a great spectacle from what are projected to be the two top sides. I think Adelaide's chances would've been excellent if the Breakers came in a bit complacent on Saturday night, but I'm not sure that will happen now.

Main change however is going to be that the 36ers will have a bit more confidence. With luck, I think Burston could really make life difficult for the Breakers.

Reply #251364 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sounds like Adelaide is the only place not playing the anthem and turning the music down. I'd guess sixers dancers may still be there.

Everywhere else, so far has played the anthem and loud music with dancing girls.

Reply #251369 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sounds like Adelaide is the only place not playing the anthem and turning the music down. I'd guess sixers dancers may still be there.

Everywhere else, so far has played the anthem and loud music with dancing girls.

Reply #251370 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Who said the music was getting turned down in Adelaide?

Reply #251374 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Boti Nagy - todays paper and news adelaide now article

Reply #251376 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

Burston will be too hard to contain.

Reply #251378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul, I've seen CJ play a lot worse games than that last night.

I thought BT did alright but it will be interesting to see how Dwyane Russell & Heal go tomorrow night.

Reply #251386 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I havent. I havent seen one even close.

Reply #251394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He had some absolute shockers in his Hawks/Cannons days.

Reply #251397 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Can Dwayne Russell (a person not as loud, enthusiastic and vibrant as Taylor) and Shane Heal (also not as positive, funny and likable as Gaze) do a similar job in what will be a big crowd, tough match and great spectacle...

Reply #251399 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

-'Who said the music was getting turned down in Adelaide?'

But have you been told to play less music skip?

Reply #251407 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

No. I have been advised not to change anything. I do believe the anthem is gone though.

Reply #251409 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

No. I have been advised not to change anything. I do believe the anthem is gone though.

Reply #251410 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

" True True ". That was the worst game I have ever seen CJ Bruton play, and he looked very much like a player who didn't have a pre-season. It’s amazing how often a player has a good game first up back from injury and then struggles for a few games after that.

Was a very average game , intensity was lacking and skill level was down .
Thought the coverage , crowd and commentating was good overall .

BT has a big interest in hoops , this is on the FOX site for commentary team .

BRIAN TAYLOR
The 1986 Coleman Medallist and a 140-game VFL/AFL star with Richmond and Collingwood, Taylor was heavily involved in basketball as a youngster growing up in Mandurah, WA. His parents started the junior basketball competition in his home town and he later represented the WA under 16s before being snapped up by the Tigers. Even at the height of his career he continued to play competitive basketball and only this year realised a life-long ambition by playing alongside three of his four sons in their local competition. Taylor is a keen follower of the LA Lakers in the NBA.

Reply #251412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not to crash the party, but heard lots of free tickets thrown out. I had 2! but couldn't make it

Reply #251413 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

No Anthem in Tsv and Music as per usual!

Reply #251414 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Reading comment from Sengstock, again - BA are gonna get around and see what's happening, with a view of standardised game presentation.
So there'd be input from all involved with it.

Reply #251422 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

Gaze has such a feel for the game.
Agree with him about soft defence, maybe players adjusting to refereeing interpretations re handchecking.
Transition defence of both teams poor.
His comments re Penney in the 3rd quarter were right on the money. His body language was uptight and when he got the ball he was too anxious.
Disagree with him about how well both teams shot the ball although he did highlight the poor Tigers 3 pt shooting.
Great to see Corletto getting some meaningful minutes. I put him in Penney's class as a pure shooter.
I also liked Gaze's comments re Rickert who was taking Johnson to school, picked up his 3rd foul and Lemanis took him out. He was on a roll and needed to stay in.
Ronaldson sensational, but Tigers took the ball at him at the other end.
The game I thought was fairly sloppy with careless tournovers from both sides.
Do like the travelling calls focus of refs.
Gaze's top four selection was interesting?? Where has Shane Heal been?

Reply #251429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was interesting to see Heal had the Hawks finishing bottom despite winning the pre-season tournament. Wouldn't have anything to do with his love of Brendan Joyce?

Reply #251467 | Report this post

Annex1  
Years ago

Heal is a scumbag. Bottom line.

Reply #251547 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:09 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754