Jack Toft
Years ago

R4.1 ANZAC Day Round

On a more sombre note to start, I hope that everyone has time to reflect on ANZAC Day to spare a thought for those who have been prepared to stand up for our country. On a more positive note, we all know it rains on ANZAC day so hopefully there are plenty of mops of hand and not a lone pine gets wet.

Eagles-Bearcats @ Wayville
Women: Eagles stroll into this arm wrestle with a perfect scoresheet and the Bearcats are finally troubling the scorers after they out rebounded the Panthers. Thompson has been on fire for the Feagles but the Bearcat's inaccuracy has cost them games. With a home court advantage and great refs, Forestville and wins go together like ANZAC day and two up. "Come in Spinner!"
Men: Well what can I say. Give the Eagles a compliment and a glass of Pinot Noir, and they spill it on their white shirt. Well done to the Warriors for knocking them off. The 'Cats marred their own record after South, err South ?, crushed them by 14. 3 from 28 at the arc is not going to win many games. So if West beat Woodville by 7 and Woodville beat Eagles by 1, then West should win by 8? With both teams hurting it should be bone crunching affair with the gallant Feagles storming the beaches of Wayville under heavy fire to record a win.

Topic #28150 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

Forestville women should take this one out easily. Went to see the West, South game on the weekend and West were far from convincing against south who took it to them with an undermanned team and no height.

Reply #359482 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

i doubt the women will win this time round having a lot of trouble playing as a team, but i reckon second time round that might just get the win

i think the men will win it as long as they know when to stop shooting from the outside 3/28 is awful, especially when they drove it worked for them
hopefully they will have josh knight back as well

Reply #359490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng being out for them is a huge hole. If West is at full strength they should dominate the boards. Tucker can't do it all by himself (he nearly can!).

If you want a good indication of Deng's impact look at youth league. Forestville has been dominating the competition over summer and last Tuesday got absolutely smacked by South by about 30 odd. A game like that is usually a easy W for the Eagles.

Reply #359494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That may be Forestville's achilles heel - no real big man support when Deng he is out as shown by recent results. Not sure if he will be allowed to dominate when he comes up against DJ and Truslove or even Pero against North.

Reply #359497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he will be fine against all three of those guys. Maybe only DJ will give him some headaches.

Reply #359501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if it is only maybe that DJ may give him some headaches then he should be in NBL now - Sorry he needs to toughen up a bit against bigger wiser bodies

Reply #359534 | Report this post

Phobos96  
Years ago

Why do you think the women are not playing as a team. I havent managed to see any games as yet, just interested in thoughts.

Reply #359584 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i guess it will take the girls time. They too have lost some quality minutes players, so it will take time for them to gel. They are not the only team in this predicament.

Reply #359585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He probably should be in the NBL right now. I'm not sure if he got any offers for the upcoming season but his plan was to go to college anyway as far as I know.

Other bodies may be bigger but the kid has a terrific basketball IQ and tends to adjust to any situation.

Reply #359591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eagles are a great team who are well coached, with or without the big fella. This 'should' be a really good grind out game, whoever can finish the strongest obviously will get the W. both teams coming off a loss so they will both be pretty hungry to get back to the winners circle. West have had a few Guys out/coming back from injury and have not been at full strength yet. Forrestville are simply a great team. Cant wait to see how this one turns out.

Reply #359607 | Report this post

pete  
Years ago

anon 591 - Majok is a great player, but the main knock on him is that he was late to the game and as such his basketball IQ is low and still developing. (not high, as you suggest).

However, i know the AIS want him badly, but from what i've heard he wants to take the college route.

Reply #359635 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

So what's actually wrong with Deng and will he be playing tomorrow?
I haven't had a chance to actually see him play so wouldn't mind watching him.

Reply #359647 | Report this post

Outsider  
Years ago

Deng has rejected offers from the AIS, as well as the development spot at the Sixers to pursue his college dream.

He already has several large schools that want him, now i believe its up to him to complete the SAT Exam. If he wants to play, i am pretty sure he has to sit out the year before he can become eligible to play over there.

Reply #359654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think the guys ut with an ankle...and I agree, His IQ isnt that good, a smart experienced player will tear him a new one. take pero, he will man handle the BOY.....but hear he has some great schools after him, good luck to him.

Reply #359722 | Report this post

vesta  
Years ago

I can't believe the above poster used the words 'smart' and 'Pero' in the same post.

Reply #359727 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Mate with english like you have just posted I don't think you are in any position to comment on intelligence.

Reply #359734 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Just over a year ago Deng was playing U18 Div III and here we are talking about his absence as a game breaker for Forestville in the ABA.

Anyone who saw him play this time last year and who saw his game against Sturt a couple of weeks back would be in no doubt about his future potential.

Reply #359737 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Who do we have to thank for unlocking his potential?

Reply #359744 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Andy S plucked him from Div 3 and developed him with opportunity.

Reply #359746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok Deng has got Majok Deng to thank for unlocking his potential. No matter who coached him he was going to make it.

Probably three coaches have had a big effect.

The first was Scott Freer his Under 18 coach who spent a hell of a lot of time doing individual work with him when he had no knowledge of the game to get some fundamentals down and getting him to play the sport in the first place.

The second Andy Simmons for giving him a chance in ABL after Paul Prior and Freer begged him to give him a chance.

And the third is Rashad Tucker who has been working with the kid non-stop for the past year on his ball-handling and guard skills (for anyone wanting to do individuals Tucker has a business going at Wayville where kids can do the same work-outs Majok does). Tucker has spent countless hours with the kid and got him overseas exposure.

But saying all that Majok is the one putting in the hours, so he has himself to thank.

Reply #359761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be expecting Majok's brother Rueben to be playing for Forestville tonight with a couple of injuries in the group.

He's a two guard/three man who has improved out of sight. Suprised he hasn't lined up already, maybe doesn't have his oceania license?

Reply #359762 | Report this post

No Idea  
Years ago

And why is Tucker out?

Reply #359792 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Good win for the Eagles women with fouls a plenty in the last quarter (most ignored). Great defence from both teams.

Cracker game in the mens with west winning by a point. Sullivan and Doyle were standouts for the Eagles while Salters, Spadavecchia and Truslove played a big role in West's dominating last quarter. Truslove came very close to handing the game to the Eagles in the last seconds of the game when he chose a glory slam dunk that bounced out into Forestville hands but, thankfully (for West fans), Sullivan's run at the basket from a masterly set play was blocked

Reply #359804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you mean doyles run at the basket was blocked.

doyle has had 2 shots for the win in the last 2 games.

Reply #359808 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Can Benn McDonald not ref any west games anymore no matter if its mens or womens he makes sure we dont win or even try and make a come back

Reply #359814 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You're right anon 808, it was Doyle not Sullivan. A great run nevertheless that was matched by a perfect block. I suspect a lesser player would have tried to milk the foul given the foul count. Great play by both players.

Reply #359820 | Report this post

pete  
Years ago

I think Anon might be a forrestville supporter...

Reply #359827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WESTSIDE!!!

Reply #359831 | Report this post

Crazi  
Years ago

Interested, are you a Bearcats fan?
So your saying you don't want an NBL ref and a quality official, and West have previously complained about Nathan W screwing them (wnbl) so it sounds like west supporters think the world is against them

Reply #359884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West through the same person has complained about McDonald, Wieland and Durant. Same person has complained about Durant in prelim final last year. Current facebook post is bordering on libel. They would be unhappy with whoever they had I'd be more worried on how their team purported to be top 3 in the men struggle to beat an undermanned forestville side. Great game it was too.

Reply #359903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If west were in a game with no refs and players had to call their own fouls they would complain about their own players being cheats!!

Reply #359908 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

anon 903

what facebook page?
West supporters would be the worst in SA for stupid behavior from parents(Juniors) I don't know about seniors

Reply #359925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West men havent had a full squad yet but still getting the job done....dont hate

Reply #360010 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:14 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754