Hound
Years ago

Breakers @ 6ers Game Thread Dec 28

Shaping as a good game, Cedric and Tommy A back in town in less than a week.

Pledger v Johnson the key matchup and we need gibbo to shutdown on Cedric 'Action' Jackson.

Predictions?

Topic #30302 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers by 38

Reply #393770 | Report this post

Hound  
Years ago

I think we can claim this 1. Also battle of the boomer assistants! Andrej v Marty...

Reply #393772 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers win. I don't know why, they just will.

Reply #393774 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

its going to hurt alot if we lose thats for sure.

Reply #393776 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers by 7. Just cos

Reply #393802 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

NZ will win, too good too well coached. Adelide with the roster thwey have at hgome should be favourites, and as amazing as our coaches are, wont be in the hunt come the 4th quarter.

Reply #393803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers dont have a snow flakes chance in hell!

Reply #393808 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

NZ by 27.

Reply #393809 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

On paper the Breakers should be able to hang up their cue stick about half time, but, as we all know, the Sixers are like a cleanskin wine. Sometimes they just surprise.

Jackson should have a night to remember and Abercrombie will be unchallenged in the motion game.

Reply #393816 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

On Paper....the 6ers should win against any team at home.

Hopefully ADL can make it a good game for the fans and they'll love the coach again.

Reply #393819 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

no import, no Creek, is Petrie injured or "rested"?

Reply #393821 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I'd question the use of "again" in that sentence there Marcus.

Reply #393824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are you putting words in people's mouth in every game thread Marcus?

Who around here has been happy with MC after a win? People consistently can't stand the sight of the control freak and his red headed side-kick.

Reply #393874 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mystro, not sure, but I think the club is hopeful of having an import playing.

Reply #393877 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

hopefully Petrie is fit to play and they get the paperwork sorted for the import.

Reply #393882 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Looking forward to attending my 1st Sixers home game in 2 years. Hopefully my attendance inspires the boys to victory.

Billo, Loco and Big Ads, let me know if you're going to be at the game and we'll catch up for a half time beer.

Reply #394155 | Report this post

Ritz  
Years ago

Taking my lad to see his sixers, he got a adelaide snap back cap for Christmas & wants to wear it for a win!

Reply #394213 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Looking forward to watching some ball tonight.

Reply #394248 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think this game could be one of those games where the Sixers win against the odds - Losing streak, clarke as coach, Creek injuried, unsure about new import.. Yet some how when our backs have been against the wall we win.

Maybe NZ will come out complacent and the Sixers will play 4 great quarters of basketball and struggle over the line to get the win. Either that or NZ will kill us.

Reply #394296 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Ok - no import, no creek, weigh will play 39m 30sec , Gibson will foul out , DJ will have 4 fouls by 1/2 time. we will be within 10 at halftime and will lose by 25, NZ will clear their bench with 5 mins to go, we won't.

Reply #394326 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

also the entire crowd will rush home to see the 9.30 pm replay just to catch/review the tech on the 36ers' bench.

Reply #394327 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

lol sounds about right!

I think we actually match up well against them and last time up to 3 quarter time we were ahead. So we might be in with a shot as we got nothing to lose as we aren't expected to win

Reply #394329 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Lol is that the first time Carfino has ever tipped the Sixers. Gaze must've pulled rank to get the Breakers!

Reply #394332 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Nice 1st quarter by the Sixers. I wish DJ played with that much energy every week - he'd be unstoppable!

Love the Breakers bitching about calls late in that quarter. Abercrombie was a clear travel and Vukona's body up on Schenscher was an obvious foul.

Good start, now the question is can the Sixers hold it together when the Breakers shots start falling.

Reply #394333 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Wow, is everyone speechless or something?

Breakers look like the walking dead out there, but the Sixers had a hand in that, particularly with their second qtr effort.

Our big men in particular are playing great games:
- Excellent D in the paint, the Breakers have been shut down in there!
- Just as important, Schensch and DJ are snaffling all the boards (hon. mention Steve Weigh who has been grabbing the crumbs the big fellas miss)
- To top it all off DJ and Schensch have been running the floor hard and have been rewarded by our guards who seem to have finally worked out where this team's bread is buttered!

Reply #394334 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Breakers just letting the big guys get the ball close to the basket and being hammered. Not showing their usual intensity on the boards (or anywhere on the floor!) and the 36ers look a million dollars.

Reply #394336 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

I really hope NZ win

Reply #394337 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Are we now seeing the famous Sixers choke? We will be OK I am sure with that genius coach we have. His record under pressure is superb.

Reply #394338 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

2 points up now late in the last. Go Marty you beauty. Mutley is right too Marcus about your use of the word "again".

Reply #394339 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Guys...If....BIG IF...If NZ win, DO NOT blame Marty for the result.

Please...watch the tape twice if you must, Marty is not at fault for players' lack of effort.

Reply #394340 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Carn the Breaks

Reply #394341 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

and the tide has turned.

Reply #394345 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

haha aww yus mystro. Too hippy right nu bru.

Reply #394349 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

No, because nothing is ever Marty's fault, is it Marcus?

Reply #394351 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Squid....That is untrue...there was love before and there will be once again, this is just an anomaly.

Onward and forward Lads, we're playing the bottom team next!

A win is imminent, I can feel it in my waters.

Reply #394356 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Amazing loss that. Seemingly no adjustment for Jackson's pick and roll with Hudson and a complete loss of confidence by the players on the offensive end.

Sixers do need a guard who can create off the dribble in crunch time too. Gibson isn't that guy. Marty better hope Christopherson can do that job cos the toaster is warming up his whitebread ass.

Reply #394357 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

are you upset your team blew a massive lead and handed the team I support the 17th victory in a row against them Spursfan? Breakers don't even have BJ Anthony anymore either ;)

Reply #394358 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Mutley...

Is Marty responsible for :

1) The inability of the players to even inbound the ball?

2) The TERRIBLE post entry passes, how did a guard (Jackson) take an entry pass from a Centre?

3) Crosswell's airball floater?

4) The LACK of hustle by the Sixers.

Guys...Give NZB credit, they wanted that ball more in the second half.

Reply #394359 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I can't be bothered arguing with you Marcus as you are clearly a lost cause, but yes Marty is responsible for the team's lack of hustle, absolutely.

Reply #394361 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

In fact the coach is responsible Marcus. He is supposed to be a coach remember.
But that's OK, you keep thinking that way while the crowds dwindle to nothing.
I saved myself over $600 this year by not renewing my gold tickets and what a great decision that was.
I can only imagine what it would have been like leaving that stadium tonight after them scoring 5 points in the last quarter. One has to be joking surely.
ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC AND EMBARRASSING!!!!!!

Reply #394363 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I thought that it had been a while Mystro, but 17? Jesus!

Reply #394365 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Mystro, dude I'm a Taipans supporter who was going for the Breakers tonight because of ladder implications. I'm totally buzzing right now. I'm on your side big dagwood dawg

Reply #394366 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Marcus Marcus Marcus, i feel for you buddy, but i'll give you credit for sticking by your boys no matter what.

In response to your points, yes Marty was somewhat responsible.

1) No press break in place.

2) The whole offense in the last 5 minutes was everyone stand still and pass to the post because he scored earlier, no structure!

3) What kind of set play has Nathan Croswell handle the ball for 23 seconds? He was forced to take that shot, again no offensive structure that holds up!

4) Do you get the feeling the players are a bit fed up as well, judging by their attitude?

Reply #394371 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

3 years, 3 different lineups, tonnes of imports, 3 years of crap & one constant. NNOOOOOOO, of course it's not the coach O_o

Reply #394372 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Clarke has been poor in his time at the 36ers, but tonight is on the players. Very poor effort against pressure for a team with one of the best press-breakers in the comp. Pathetic.

Reply #394373 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Marcus that loss wasn't about lack of effort, that was about the Sixers lack of self-belief preventing them from executing basic defensive and offensive plays.

For awhile you can blame that kind of thing on the players, but after three years with a whole litany of players being affected these problems, you have to start looking to the top.

A big part of leadership is about instilling confidence in your charges to go out and perform to the best of their ability.

After 3 years I am still seeing a bunch of pretty fragile players and nothing I have heard suggests to me that he is inspiring confidence in the players or the supporters to the degree needed by an NBL head coach.

Reply #394374 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Mutley....

I concede some of it should fall on Marty, but it is unfair that it is ALL on Marty.

HOW do you want Marty to control hustle?

Subs? With whom?

Schensh was having a good game, he should be there.

The only person that shouldn't have been out there is Crosswell, was Cadee injured?

Reply #394378 | Report this post

Years ago

why did we not have 3 guards on when they were full court pressing ?

why was teh ball in weigh's hands when he had 2-3 crucial turnovers under pressure.

why were we still trying to play a first half game in the clutch when NZ had adjusted and shut luke and daniel down?

Reply #394379 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Coach? Wanna answer those questions? ^

Reply #394382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just disgraceful, why is clarke still coaching? this is just taking the piss.

Reply #394383 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I suppose Clarke could have put Massingale in for either Cadee or Crosswell for some hustle.

Oh, that's right...

Reply #394385 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Paul, in the early days of Clarke's tenure I would have been willing to put these abysmal losses on the players mistakes. But these kinds of things keep happening. At some point, you've got to ask why previously highly regarded players are losing it like this playing for the Sixers.

Also, why did the Sixers fail to make any meaningful adjustment to the Jackson-Hudson pick and roll play, which the Breakers rode through most of the 2nd half?

Maybe double Cedric to get the ball out of his hands instead of letting him destroy Gibson AGAIN off the dribble? Maybe put Petrie on Hudson and see if his extra foot speed can help him close off the pass on the play?

Maybe stand up and tear the players a new one for playing like scared children? Challenge their pride and tell them to run the ball down the Breakers throat on every miss like they did in the first half?
Can u imagine Goorjian? He would have been throwing things!

Reply #394390 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I don't know if anyone else saw it, but did anyone see Lemanis give Marty the old karate chop on the crutch in the first or second quarter?

Reply #394394 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Squid....Yes he is supposed to be coaching, and he did.

The players did not execute his plan, either by lack of trust in each other or intimidation by NZB.

The crowd situation, well thats squarely on the people of Adelaide.

Perth crowds have doubled, yet they haven't won in 2 years.

Perhaps with the enviable attribute of 'most knowledgeable' comes with the flipside of 'least patient'?

Reply #394395 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Mr Full Stop, not that I'm defending Marty, but I can answer points one and two for you:

2) Because the Breakers ball pressure was stopping Gibbo from making entry passes and forcing him to pick up the dribble. Weigh got frustrated cos nothing was happening - hence he tries to put the ball on the floor and disaster follows.

3) Because we don't have the shooters or drivers for any plan other than get the ball into the post.

Back to point 1) You might be right that an extra guard would have been useful. I think the reason we didn't do that was that Marty was afraid we'd be creamed on the boards without Weigh and two bigs. Also, when Cadee was in there, he didn't look confortable and coughed up some bad TO's. If Crosswell and Gibbo had held their nerve and attacked the press early though, I doubt Cadee would have been necessary.

Reply #394397 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Marcus, i hope you're not trying to compare the success of Perth to Adelaide during Martys tenure? No they haven't won it for 2 years but they are always up top and are well coached, i never hear "Sack Bevridge" from the fans... but Adelaide... well... Nuf said.

Reply #394398 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

"Least patient"? Wow.

Reply #394401 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

DJ, DJ, DJ...He came out inspired and just playing hard (I blame this on Lemanis's influence from last week). By the 2nd half he had dropped away completely, looked disinterested again and started fumbling (This I blame on being coached for a half by Clark). Very frustrating to see how hard he was playing in the first to lose his personal motivation. Jackson also blocked the shit out of him..protect the ball lol.

Schenscher was FINALLY used how he should be, posting up in the key. Shows what he could have been doing all season with the offense set for him with DJ working hard around him. Great to see big red perform.

Clark..well what can I say you demotivate your own players, Petrie should have come on earlier when DJ started to struggle and lose the ball, Cadee should have come on earlier when Crosswell was not keeping up. Why did you stop the free flowing style of play and tighten the game up. Seriously was he TRYING to hold the lead by having Gibson hold the ball for 10 seconds every play even with players open.

Reply #394407 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nah, NZ's defence was just so bad Schenscher was allowed easy position in the key. In the second half Hudson pushed him around like most players have this season.

Seems Luke is best against other seven footers because they dont have that lower centre of gravity to push him around.

Reply #394417 | Report this post

Years ago

does daniel johnson realize he can run along the base line when inbounding off a score instead of standing under the ring limiting his inbound pass

Reply #394419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We don't have a true pg that can lead the team down the stretch, gibbo is a combo. The club should have signed homicide when they cut cj. homicide contacted the club to play 4 the minimum. Instead we sign a shooting guard that is a spot up shooter. At least williams would gives us a guy who can look after the ball,penetrate and facilitate to our bigs under the basket.
Andrew Gaze concurred with my thoughts re signing christopherson and gibbo not be a true pg.

Reply #394420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze also forgot to mention how good Gibson has been in fourth quarters recently. Probably didnt watch those games.

Reply #394424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sadly, i almost guarantee if shane heal coached the 36ers we would have won that game, simple as that, no sixers fan would ever had thought they would say or think that.

Though players making mistakes isnt always on the coach, lack of confidence, no change in game plan and no counter attack for a half after they re-stratergised at half time is on the coach.

Also agree although Corey Williams probably isnt the ideal import in the ideal situation, but if willing to play for minimum and could have signed, got the paper work through straight away, probably simpler for him since he has played NBL before aswell, he could have played tonight, and his confidence/swagger is exactly what the 36ers needed tonight, he would have done better against the defense and also has the 'ill put the team on my shoulders and win' attitude, which none of our players ever have. He would also be great for Schenscher, him and Neville did well from memory and probably put bums on seats with his exciting style of play. Wouldnt usually go down this path either, but it makes more sense than bringing a college guy who has not had any real success outside of college, he better be the next Lisch for the sixers sake, or they may as well of signed Williams or Farley, at this point we need an impact import, which is obviously harder to get for minimum, but Williams and Farley, even though older would have probably provided that.

Reply #394448 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

"You never had the sense that someone was going to take charge of the offense" - A. Gaze in post game wrap up of tonight's game when discussing Adelaide's abysmal second half.

This has summed up so many games since John Gilchrist did his knee towards the end of the 2009-2010.

I'm shattered, glad my kids were too tired to stay awake in the last quarter. Would have seen their dad on the verge of breaking down.

Reply #394469 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

"Adelaide are a car wreck".

Yep.

Reply #394477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dorsey would have been a great fit as well. Good defender, athletic and can hit the big 3 in the clutch.

Another guy who contacted the 36ers who would have been a safer pick than a guy new to the NBL.

Reply #394478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

might open a can of worms but it seems like clark/radford dont like african americans??

Reply #394481 | Report this post

howto  
Years ago

^^^ hmm interesting. Said the same thing to my brother when CJ was sacked and now Woody Harrelson shows up.

Reply #394487 | Report this post

Air-T 18  
Years ago

Please one of the former 36ers like Brooks or Sapwell, volunteer to coach the side for the remainder of the season so we can pay out Clarke and Radford, for the good of the club, the coach couldn't run Davis out of town who is the 36ers, the club is bigger than the coach

Reply #394488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well at some level you are probably right. Homicide has balls and wouldn't let that shit happen.

He wouldn't huddle in the middle of the Court after a choke and let Clarke pat him on the ass like it was an U12 game.

He wouldn't come on this forum like below average players such as Dowdell or go on Twitter like Cadee saying how much he loves Clarke and how united the players are.

All of the above is probably why Clarke didn't sign Homicide.

However, we would have won with Homicide and we would sell more tickets with Homicide.

Reply #394491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

howto woody harrelson haha. It just seems that clark doesnt like the way they play eg with flair,instinct and excitement

Reply #394494 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Change of coach is a single change that can have major results or even show fans that attention is being paid. There are no imports left that can take that heat as other teams tend to try.

Reply #394497 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

wish we would get Gilchrist back, I thought he was great while he was here.

Reply #394499 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I am not looking for excuses for the loss because to give up a 21 point lead, you deserve to lose. However can anyone explain why in the last quarter, with all the molesting, the pushing, the shoving and tripping over our players, did the Breakers end up with 1 foul only. The foul also came in the eighth minute of the quarter. Eight whole minutes of total abuse and no call. The 5 point loss is insignificant considering how costly those decisions were. Like I've said several times before, let the players lose the game not the refs.

Reply #394500 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Not considered the Woody angle - makes sense now that I think about it.

As frustrated as I am, bitching on a forum won't help.

This club really is in huge trouble.

Reply #394504 | Report this post

THE MOVEMENT  
Years ago

Those that want change need to get to the next game and at tip-off... stand.. and start a chant... SACK MARTY CLARK... SACK MARTY CLARK.... make some noise... MAKE management listen!

Reply #394507 | Report this post

green46  
Years ago

Marcus Camby, we've all read your posts with interest and laughed. I have to ask: surely now you're taking the piss, right? You cannot be seriously defending Marty any longer.

Reply #394511 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

THE MOVEMENT, you want everyone to start the chants at tip off? What sort of distraction will that be to the game from the start. Its the first half of any game that the best work is done resulting in a loss of 5 or less points instead of 25. Don't you think enough has been posted to alert management to the problem? Don't you think management know a problem exists but they can't fix it because it costs too much money. NO, I do not suggest a chant at tip off is appropriate.

Reply #394513 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

If season ticket holders let the club know they won't be turning up until the new coach is appointed you might get action.
We are playing with kids without any game changing veterans. We need a psychological coach who ensures people pull their weight out there. Would be worth asking Don Shipway to coach the season out. Try putting in no effort with Don at the helm!
Best case scenario Jan Stirling takes the job. As for non South Australians, seriously the supporter base really ain't interested.

Reply #394517 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Wow Marcus, you just have a comeback for everything, huh?

"Clarke's actually done a pretty solid job in his first 2.5 years as head coach... No, none of the team's shortcomings are his fault... Blame the players, blame the front office, blame the fans, credit the opposition... Marty's THE guy to lead the 36er franchise into a golden age of basketball... Anyone who disagrees with me and believes Marty's actions and job security should be questioned is ignorant..."

I'm quoting this from your subconscious. Did I forget anything?

Reply #394518 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

EC, the boys need to learn how to absorb that pressure and play above it....thats what playoff basketball is all about.

This team (and some of the players in it) is severely over rated & unbalanced.

Gibson is not a combo guard, you would need to be a handy scorer to come under that title. He is a nuggety pg with good defense who can occassionally hit the open shot to keep the defence honest.

Cadee is not a starter....not yet anyway.

Johnson has all the tools to be effective at both ends of the floor and sometimes shows it but rarely does.

Weigh should play decent mins but not as many as he is getting....he is a bit slow to be defending some of the SF in the NBL and needs to have plays run for him when he is on to be effective.

I could go on but I am over it.....I said to my mates at half time we will still lose and the Sixers didnt let me down. Change needs to be made because as they are at the moment isnt working....our offensive sets look terrible and get no result....Marty hasnt even tried changing the line ups, I mean seriously, do something to suggest you are trying to figure something out dont just stick with what isnt working.

Reply #394519 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Being serious, please let Ken Cole have the backing to buy the club. The King is exactly what is needed, some passion for the game, the club and its fans. I know he won't be coaching but damn, if he was the coach tonight that 21 point half time lead would have been 40+ by the end of the game.

I don't think the words 'Protect the lead' were part of Cole's make up. Karate Kid 'No Mercy' was more like it. What's the best way to keep a lead? Continue to build that lead to where the opposition is finished. Then when they've given up hope, go for the Mortal Kombat style 'Fatality'. This is a professional sport, make a damn statement out there, not capitulate with barely a whimper.

The scary part about tonight is that the Breakers didn't steal a win, they had it handed to them on a silver platter.

I saw the look on Luke Schenscher's face on the telly when the game ended. That one hurt and you could see he was pissed.

Reply #394520 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

I resisted the urge to check scores and watched it on one and up to half time, despite playing okay, i thought it was a waste, but i am very happy that I ended staying up, what a great comeback!!! YEAH WHITE!!

Reply #394524 | Report this post

mk  
Years ago

Breakers get all the calls!!! Cant belive the way the team is like a bitch and the coach is the worst!!!! breakers have the luck! play all the shit teams and that's why they are on top!! Remember every 1 was bitching how perth play and the calls the got away with??? Any 1 who watched that game can rethink that.

Reply #394525 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

mk, sit down and shut up, you are talking out of your posterior! It hurts to be up by 21 and then lose by 5 on your own court, but why not look at the lack of offensive ideas adelaide had or the lack of a simple press break, or the countless times times the shot clock ran down to 1-2 secs and a poor shot was taken.

You're being a sore loser and just embarrassing yourself!

Reply #394527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ ease up tiger! How the fuk the got called for 1 foul in the qtr is bullshit!

Reply #394529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher played good tonight.

Reply #394538 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/8127518/Breakers-storm-back-to-take-Adelaide-36ers

*highlights of the Breakers Vs 69ers

lmao, nice one Stuff.co.nz

Reply #394547 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, they didn't have to foul, we kept throwing the ball away before they had the chance.

Reply #394557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The scary thing would be that if Ken Cole was ever to gain control there would be no Sixers eventually.

Reply #394559 | Report this post

I knew we were gonna choke when up 61-47.

I actually expect these performances.

Watch the last minute, Jackson drives and dishes for an easy two to make it a 3 point game, Sixers get a turnover, Jackson sweet pass off a pick and roll.

No plays drawn up by Lemanis just a great basketball mind making players around him better.

We DO NOT HAVE A GUARD CAPABLE OF ANYTHING CLOSE!

I watched Caddee when the press was on, pathetic cant even demand the ball, where's the fucking picks to get him free he shied away massively.

Gibbo is a defensive guard that's it how he made the boomers I do not know. Good rid danced next year Gibbo I would be signing Gary Ervin now that's a guard that can penetrate and dish.

Also being up by twenty, why not run a full court trap and burn 10 seconds off of NZs shot clock, then they are the ones to force up a terrible shot just like Croswell!

I hate this fucking Sixers team, soft cock pussies how can you call yourselves professionals when you look in the mirror.

Management show some fucking balls and sack those two boneheads ASAP and show the fans you actually give a shit about this club.
This season is over now anyway I would get sap well and brooks to coach then sign homicide for the remainder of the season at least the crowd would be rocking.

Remember when Hodge had the place rocking? There is NO WAY homicide would've dropped that game, with his handles he would've drove into a collapsed defence then dished to DJ and DJ would've had 8 foul shots in the final quarter and we would've held on.

Make the move management make the move.

Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhh! Basketball isn't as hard as Clarke makes out!

Reply #394574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wins with massingale - 0!

sacking massingale.....good call/bad call........BAD CALL!

Reply #394576 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Does anyone know who "Marcus Camby" is on this forum, questions must be asked, is he somehow connected to Clarke or the 36ers management?

Reply #394591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is the same guy who started threats like "Daniel Joyce's NBA chances"

Reply #394602 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i dont get the offence start with the ball at the top of the key, have the big come up to set a screen, pass ball to big, run pass and receive ball back, big sets another screen, small ccomes off screen and NOTHING HAPPENS
result-nothing time wasted-15 secs

Reply #394608 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

4,700 at the game, I was impressed with the crowd actually

Reply #394613 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Thanks Ket,I was wondering what the crowd was, you saved me 30 seconds (I've used too much data and my provider has slowed me down).

Thes non Sunday scheduled games sends a pretty clear message to the club doesn't it. You want reasonable crowds at the Sixer's games, don't let the League schedule too many of them on Sunday (unless they are being broadcast on Ten, and if that being the case you do clinics at as many schools/clubs the week or two prior and hand out plenty of free passes or greatly discounted family passes - filll up the lower sections of the stadium).

I seem to recall Wollongong's crowds last season were not encouraging but I suspect they had a lot of Sunday games too. Nat.W.I.A/Isaac, you guys are big on the Hawks, is my recollection on the money? (yes I'm being lazy! download restrictions).

Reply #394623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with anon. Instead of setting screens and exchanging the ball for no apparent purpose, just dribble it for 15 seconds for the same outcome. Over coaching/thinking a game where you just have to put a ball through a ring. We have some incredible players playing a form of basketball that is too complicated and clinical. No instinct or flare to inspire others to do the same. It's belief we are missing, too focused on structure and we've forgotten how to turn up and play. Terrible to watch.

Reply #394624 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I should be mascot....

6ers actually have above average press breakers, Gibbo / Cadee combo should be able to break any NBL press.

At least you spotted an issue with the players and didn't go straight into 'Sack Marty' mdoe.

However I have to question why you'd swap Gibbo for Ervin? Ervin has some skillsets Gibbo doesn't but overall Gibbo has more upside.

I must disagree with your call to Sack Marty though, too often its too convenient to put it on the coach.

Reply #394630 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

*13 consecutive losses to NZ sorry not 17.

Reply #394632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I want the drugs your on Marcus Camby. You are truly an uneducated basketball fan.... You need help man. Clarke is utter shit at the NBL coaching level and his record proves it. This has been a consistent trend throughout. Bet there are a few sacked players loving watching his demise right now...

Reply #394633 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Marcus Camby, if you ranked the coaches in the NBL 1-8, 1 being the best, what number do you rank Clarke?

Reply #394638 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Marcus Camby after more than 2.6 years for Clarke and Radford to get things right, numerous import failings, no structure on defence or offence when would you pull the trigger on a change in coach?

CJ copped his wack less than 3 months into a 2 year contract.

Reply #394640 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Melbourne Boy...

Right now I'd rank him 7th in front of Anstey.

Reply #394647 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Marcus (or MartyKiss) is either just tasking the piss, or is an AIS graduate who did not make the NBL and has only ever seen Marty in that situation, and has no expreience of NBL level successful coaches.

Reply #394648 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Marcus, i often disagree with you, but i think you're right on the money with that call.

So if you rank him 7, you may not want to sack him right now, but that must mean you don't want him coaching the 36ers next season?

Reply #394650 | Report this post

Gruff  
Years ago

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/30302-breakers-6ers-game-thread-dec-28/#p394647

First correct thing you've ever said.

Reply #394651 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Melbourne Boy...

I would be happy with whatever decision the ownership group come to at the end of the season.

I don't believe Marty should be sacked at every South Australian's whim.

Its tough to put a case forward for Marty to be re-signed right now with these consequtive losses, I accept this.

The only way would be if Marty lowered his remuneration package with clear annual milestones.

I don't think Marty is out of his depth. I think his job has been made difficult with the revolving door of players, this season in particular.

Reply #394652 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

If he's the 7th best coach, he won't ever coach a title, therefore why keep him if he takes a pay cut, that would be a poor move, isn't the goal to win?

There is a nice core of players at the 36ers, it's time for a new direction and a new voice, now or the end of the season. 2013/14 Adelaide should be contenders and with Clarke they won't be.

Reply #394658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anybody got footage of the team getting booed that they can upload?

Reply #394659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus he chooses the players, has assembled a top 4 team on paper, got cj sacked and signed christopherson. Yet we can't win a game! It's all about Marty and radford, it's like a cult most of the players love him and think losing is acceptable

Reply #394660 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Marcus Camby he has had nearly 3 years to prove himself and show that he is improving which is not the case. I think the majority are not calling for his head after 2 losses - it is nearly 3 years of the same rubbish which you seem to continually overlook.

You mention the revolving door of players this season in your defence - it was the coaches decision to sack CJ.

Reply #394662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was Weigh, Cadee, Crosswell and Johnson I would love the coach for giving me big minutes too - even when I am stinking up the joint.

Yet Creek, Massingale and Petrie who look like they are trying get little minutes. Doesnt make sense. At least Heal benchies his players when they are not performing.

Reply #394664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was Weigh, Cadee, Crosswell and Johnson I would love the coach for giving me big minutes too - even when I am stinking up the joint.

Yet Creek, Massingale and Petrie who look like they are trying get little minutes. Doesnt make sense. At least Heal benchies his players when they are not performing.

Reply #394665 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Marcus Camby, I'm not going to abuse you or call your intelligence into question....but I do want to know what makes you so sure after 2 years and 13 games that Marty Clarke isn't the problem? His NBL coaching record is 22-47, which means in Clarke's time here so far we've won less games than the 1986 Invincibles did in less than that entire season. Sure the players need to shoulder some of the blame, that I won't argue with. But how a team plays comes down to how they are coached to play, and that makes Marty Clarke a BIG part of the problem.

Do the 36ers need to sack Clarke and bring in someone who can do the job? IMO hell yes they need to do that. Problem is, who? Off the top of my head I could probably name Smyth, Brooks, Brendan Joyce, Brett Maher....all who could probably do a better job. Hell, even at 69 years of age and with failing health Ken Cole would do a better job of coaching this team.

I've been watching the 36ers play basketball for almost 30 years and in that time I have never heard the team booed off their home court for blowing a big lead and losing more times than has happened under Marty Clarke. That in itself should tell the club management something.

Reply #394677 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Anon'660, Jake...

I noted an improvement before this 4 game slide, up until then it was quite hopeful, especially having owned the Wildcats twice (Away as well).

Unfortunately I cannot say there is an improvement right now.

I can only hope this is an anomaly and there will be a Townsville'esque revival in the works. Hopefull.

You have both mentioned CJ and the revolving door.

True CJ was his call, but there were a lot that weren't his doing.

Most people here agreed that Balls was a big risk to keep and should be let go if he doesn't accept minimum.

Simpson went on to play NBA.

Ng went on to be a Surgeon.

Others like Helliwell just had to be cut.

This roster is the most 'stable', with the most 'pieces' in Marty's reign, we are only in Round 12.

HOW do you expect anyone to turn it around in half a season?

How many years did it take of Lemanis and NZB to reap the rewards to early toil and heart break?

Now I am NOT saying Marty is perfect, he has deficiencies in his in game strategy, but give the man a fair go ffs, he is trying to see what works.

Example of what Marty has to deal with.

At the start of the season, Marty and indeed the Hoops community would have noted that they have the guard position COMFORTABLY covered.

Gibbo an Olympian, Cadee a true PG with lightning quicks.

Well it has come to light in the past 3 - 4 games that Cadee is not as reliable as we once thought.

Getting trapped (by Greg Hire ffs) against the Wildcats, and this game not helping bring the ball across the half court line.

So...Now...Marty has to adjust. Next up....Crosswell.

Crossy may have more confident handles, better fundamentals but is less efficient in other areas (like scoring, court vision).

Its not that easy to say 'you have good players, now win the championship'....where is the opportunity to build and fine tune?

Reply #394685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus, if Brian Gorgian was to take over the 36ers right now with the exact same players, they would make the finals and be a real threat to win it if things fell their way. Next year they would be a top 2 side. I'm tipping there would be sellout crowds from the get go as well.

I know Brian isn't coming back anytime soon, but it just shows what a real coach could do.

Reply #394689 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Painful to read your posts Marcus Camby. Its a mess and someone needs to clean house, Clarke and Radford must be removed immediately OR the ownership wont see fans next season.

It may not be fair in your one eyed support of Clarke, but its a business afterall and at $30 ticket entry fees, people want to be entertained and not feel like they are having the piss taken out of them.t

SOS act now or forever be known as the ownership who put the 36ers in the grave.

Reply #394696 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Why is everyone wasting their time arguing Marcus Camby's posts. He can't be right and thousands of others wrong. He is fighting a losing battle.

Reply #394697 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Yes but Goorj is unavailable / out of price range.

So you work within what you have.

Reply #394700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On what authority do you know that Marcus?

Reply #394701 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Kobe...I understand professional basketball is cutthroat.

I was in New York when the Knicks fans basically had their knives out for Isiah Thomas and the press lapped it up. It was a frenzy that fed off itself.

It was very ugly to see fans so opposed to the coach.

I was really hoping Australia's 'most knowledgable' fan base would rise above such witch hunt flair and give the coach a fair go.

To be fair, as a fan of basketball, yesterday's game was VERY entertaining, you got a close game with quite a few ups and downs on both sides.

Had I gone to the game as a fan of basketball I would have enjoyed my $30.

Games do not have to be won by the 6ers to be entertaining, I hope you can accept this.

My support for Marty is not one eyed...I have stated several times I see inefficiencies in his game.

Reply #394706 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

kobe24, I have to laugh at your "clean house" comment. Where's Bruno Sammartino when you need him?

Marcus, sorry but working with what we have isn't actually working and the results are speaking for themselves. As I've said, I agree the players need to shoulder some of the blame, but the coach needs to shoulder the bulk of it because what he's got the players doing out there isn't working. And what he's doing himself on the sidelines isn't working either.

Personally I think that we'd be better off calling security and telling them to make sure Marty Clarke has his office cleaned out and is escorted from the building, the same with his mate Radford. Then I'd bring in someone like Phil Smyth to coach the team, even if only for the rest of the season. I know The General has 'had his time' but I couldn't see us going backwards under him.

Sorry for this one but fuck me, they sacked Scotty Ninnis for less than what Clarke has dished up. At least Scotty took us to the playoffs in one of his two years.

Reply #394707 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

At least you could hear Scotty from the parking lot at a timeout when we weren't doing things right.

Reply #394715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm far from the basketball expert but as a lover of the sport it worries me more about the direction of the supporters. On a superficial level I wonder whether the great players such as Adam Gibson will want to continue playing in a state which boos the team at the end of the game. Some may argue that it was directed at the coach however a professional ball player will always take that on board, Gibbo did after all feel the need to tweet an apology. On of his first comments in a recent interview was regarding what the media is saying. More than ever the players/team need our support. They need to focus and I want the team around in the future. What we are doing is not helping, there are more dignified ways of seeking change.

Reply #394716 | Report this post

Marcus Camby are you a clown or what?

36ers scored 5 POINTS in the final 10 minutes, only 20 minutes earlier they managed 28!!!

How does one have such extremes in such a short period of time with same personale?

Anyone actually pro Marty after the deplorable results we have seen during his helm is absolutely clueless about basketball, coaching, and professional sports in my opinion and are only trolling here. No one with half a clue could possibly back him now, the results speak for themselves. Its inevitable he wont be there next year. All these threats that the players love him and it would be doom and gloom without him is a pathetic argument. Fact is this is a professional league and players play for a living. If the cash is right you'll get the players you want!

Reply #394717 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

"I was really hoping Australia's 'most knowledgable' fan base would rise above such witch hunt flair and give the coach a fair go."

I'm sorry, but how much "fair go" does this dunce need, and also, how much can we afford to give him? This is the coach's team completely now. He has no more available excuses to fall back on. He has already done massive damage to the brand, is that not enough of a "fair go"?

FFS, not only should the Sixers sack him, he should be banished from the state ;-)

I am honestly scoffing every time I read a Marcus Camby post. Marcus Camby is the ultimate troll or Marty's mum, as he cannot possibly be serious.

Reply #394718 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

+1 Speed44.

Reply #394721 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Breakers adjusted their game plan at half time because we where destroying them. All they did was go full court man or press on D. First inbound after half time to last inbound of the game we had trouble beating the full pressure defence. No screens being set for guards trying to get the ball in, no inbound plays to help spread the floor and get the ball up.
We didnt adjust to the pressure and failed. Would have liked to see some coaching in the last half to guide the players rather than just letting them try and wing it the whole half.

Reply #394727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should any of this fall back on the SOS team?

Real world, any NBL team is a business, the SOS group have decided to save money, & it's costing them.

Reply #394728 | Report this post

Exactly right Smith.

Clarke might have the best pre-game planning in the world but when it comes to adjusting things during a game that's where he sucks big time!

It's just like once a team has us figured out that's it! We don't even try to do anything, the offense turns into a rabble. Turnovers/shot clock expiry's/bad shot selection mount up!

Reply #394729 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I think that what most other coaches have figured out is that apart from Gibson there is not really much threat of any back court scoring. Many people were I think making assumptions about the overall strength of this team by factoring in Cadee, who has big raps on him. From what I have seen and what the Sixers faithful are now finding out is that there may be more hype than substance to Cadee at this point in his career. Gibson is solid but in the NBL teams without real star guards do it tough. If you can take Gibbo out of the game you are more than likely to get the W as there are at present no other options. He is worn out trying to be the number one offensive and defensive back court option by the fourth quarter. Don't matter how good the bigs are if the guards cant get the team into their sets or help with the scoring load.
Massingale was not the type of ball handling combo that the team needed if you factor in that neither Cadee or Crosswell can cut it at this level enough to play big minutes. If the new guy is close to this and can shoot the rock then there is still hope for the team.

Reply #394731 | Report this post

Years ago

Is it costing them? Seemed to be a bigger than normal crowd last night. Anyone have the exact figure

Reply #394734 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Attendance last night was 4,740

Reply #394735 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Ninnis got the raw deal compared to Clarke

Reply #394774 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

fstos, you are spot on. I have been saying this for awhile now. Gibson has no support in the backcourt. He's a good player, but he doesn't have the speed and ball-handling to carry a team offensively like a Jackson or an Ervin. This Christopherson kid needs to be able to do some of the things Gibson can't, or the Sixers are once again going nowhere.

Reply #394799 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:17 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754