Miss L
Years ago

Which Sudanese is Next

The most recent video of Thon Maker is incredible.
http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/08/thon-maker-a-7-1-high-school-sophomore-already-has-a-handle-and-jumper/

Put that together with being up for the Gatorade National Hs player of the year and ESPN #1 ranked 2016 player, I was wondering if anyone knew of up and coming young Sudanese players from Australia who could be the next Thon Maker. His younger brother is supposed to be good at 6'10" and trains with the same coach that developed Thon.

Topic #33666 | Report this topic

Sting What?  
Years ago

Deng Adel & Deng Deng (Santo) are making headlines over there too. Plenty of talent coming through the ranks.

Reply #456326 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

if you're anybody with a brain at BA, you get this kid in a Boomers or other international singlet at any type of tournamnt and play him 1 minute off the bench to lock him up.

(apologies if it's already been done).

Reply #456342 | Report this post

Miss L  
Years ago

I meant if anyone knew about any u16 or u18 Sudanese in Australia that we could keep here and develop. It seems like there is great potential in the community.

Reply #456344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of young Sudanese boys in particular playing hoops all around the place not sure what age most of them are so how good they will be may be slightly subjective as they could be up against younger opposition.

Would like to see more Sudanese girls on the court though.

Reply #456357 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Thon makers boomers prospects are up in the air really, sure he cant play for Sudan.. but there is a chance he could end up with US citizenship and one day playing for them as a lovely way to thank Australia for our hospitality. Basketball Australia actually released an article about Thon Maker.. the first time BA has tried to connect Thon with Australia.. lets hope its a good sign. I think you get him on a rep team basically immediately.

Reply #456364 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Agree GWB, get him in under 17/19 team asap.

Reply #456366 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Disagree totally! He has taken a different course, good luck to him but he has been guided by people who have him on the pathway to success outside that of the usual B.A. via State programs etc...

If the kid chooses, or continues to be taken to the top without being keen to partake or not having the need to be exposed within our Australian junior pathways, then leave him to it and focus on the kids here, that will benefit more from the assistance.

Funding is not extensive, do we really want to force him into a junior team at the expense of a kid who has busted a gut to be there, poor form that would be IMO...

If he is as good as it is projected, he will be fine, if he wants to play for Australia, he will... If he wants to!??

Reply #456367 | Report this post

Miss L  
Years ago

I agree with GWB. The focus must be on local talent that remain in Australia. It seems as if Thon Maker is being well developed and on his way to success. There are other Aussies in colleges in the US that are being developed further. I think the future is even brighter than Canada with all the upcoming talent. Communities like the Sudanese or other unfunded areas need to be scouted for potential Thon Makers that we can keep in Australia. One thing that came to mind is that I think Thon and Ben may think about returning sooner if Dante is drafted high.

Reply #456406 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Could thong maker play at the world champs for Australia?

Reply #456420 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Curtley.. He is 16.. it probably wouldn't be the best idea. But I would have him in some tours and the china series etc next year.

Reply #456434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bear - Thon was in the under 16 NSW state program as a bottom age.
I disagree, keen not to partake?? I've personally seen state programs overlook kids like Thon on numerous occasions - for reasons not associated with talent.
Basketball in this country is a political mine field and ITC programs based on making money and leaving out the kids that don't want to participate for whatever reason. It verges on bullying.
Not saying US is right for everyone but it makes sense to avoid the mines and do what you need to do to develop.
I watched Thon in under 16 bottom ages and he was very raw but super athletic. He's a long way from a lock international prospect but has elite athletics and skinny size.

It's about time ITC programs and BA take a look at these type of kids. Deng Deng/Deng Adel/big jo at Neosho Jnr college.

The entire BA/national ITC/Youth development needs an overhaul and basketball peak bodies should stop paying ex players and their boys clubs to look after this critical area.
Disgrace!

Good luck to Thon for leaving the bottom feeders here in the state programs who think they know what they are doing, there is no way he would have the hype if he was left her. Just like Dante and Ben Simmonds.

Reply #456444 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

I thought that Thon Maker chap was like 21 years old? Hes done high school twice? How long is this facade going to carry on?

Reply #456451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sudanese are tall but have ankles like toothpicks.

Reply #456456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't Thon an Australian citizen. From all reports I've seen he has an Australian passport and he has been in Australia since he was 6 or 7.

Reply #456457 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

They are great athletes and lets hope a few of them can go on to great things for Aussie ball but let's not over hype them or bag them as they are still kids.

Reply #456483 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Can someone, perhaps @#456444, explain to me how ITC programs are about making money/are funded generally?

I understood most kids in ITC were there effectively FOC, or for training court costs. I realise they pay to be in state teams or go to tournaments, but do they pay for ongoing tuition etc.?

I am not challenging the view, but generally interested in how the programs are funded. A breakdown of what an ITC kid pays would be interesting for example.

Reply #456485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a gee up the kid is good but the hype exceeds the reality

Reply #456496 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

learn from this lesson. I can see many talents out there of background from migrants but still doubt if BA will take them seriously

Reply #456500 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

For the fact, many of the Sudanese kids were given these opportunities i.e. NITP scholarships, selection in state teams, including names mentioned above. It is a personal decision these kids take to follow a different pathway, in this case through the US high school system. High schools in the State provide good scholarships including the exposure to the Colleges, which BA can't match in any regard.

Bringing these kids for a minute "to lock them in" is IMO cheating, let them follow their own dreams - if they want to play for Australia, let them be it their own decision. To my knowledge there is a Sudanese kid at CoE at the moment so hopefully he will pave the way for others.

Reply #456530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of casual Australian rasicm goes on each time sudanese players are mentioned (age, birth cert, etc).

Reply #456536 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

ask yourselves : do you want half of the Boomers roster are of Sundanese background?

because competition wise, it's possible.

Whatever your answer is, will be the same of BA's.

Reply #456560 | Report this post

Some_Fulla  
Years ago

Anon 456536

Casual racism?? Come on mate that's just an ignorant and bigoted way of shutting down any kind of debate! Questioning someone's age is not racist in any way, shape or form. People have a right to ask these types of questions without being shouted down as racist.

Reply #456562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ they called it "casual racism" (or small mindedness for most) which is pretty fair and is by no means shouting down...

"ask yourselves : do you want half of the Boomers roster are of Sundanese background?"
I want the 12 best players we can develop and I don't want talented players to miss out because they a new to the country and/or more importantly if they are short on money...

But back to the actual topic raised for discussion/debate

Who are the next players with potential of sudanese background/heritage?

Deng Gak 205cm has just moved into the AIS - Class of 2017
Daniel Mading 205cm out of Perth - Class of 2017 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5EECncr8HQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

there must be more, come on

Reply #456569 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Picking the players up for a minute isn't cheating, and they wouldn't be forced into it. So that argument just sounds foolish

Reply #456582 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Kouat Noi out of Newcastle - hearing good things about him. Will be one to watch at 18 Nationals.

Reply #456590 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

and for everyone's benefit, these Sudanese kids should consider changing their names to more Australian sounding one. Its for their own good, marketability wise and some others. Thon Maker' name is not too bad. Like he's destined to be a Maker of $$$millions.

It'll be hard to believe that descendants of Michael Jordan had the same western surname since their arrivals from year 1619.

Reply #456599 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

So Ricey - hypothetically you are a young basketballer everyone talking about and the whole world wants you, promising you whatever you want, endless opportunities, blah blah... so your argument is that you should be asked to play for a minute to lock yourself in and limit your options?!? And you would certainly accept it :)

Realistically, I would promise you the world on a plate and then lock you in for a minute so you can't play for anyone else. Should I care about you after? I guess not, I got my job done...

Foolish argument, maybe...

These Sudanese kids have a great potential but are clearly directed by either their current advisers or financial situation. Obviously some find a way to excel, Thon Maker, Deng Adel, they are in the states all doing their thing. I certainly hope they will succeed and one day wish to play for Australia and actually be given this opportunity, not simply lock them in. Whether they will meet the expectations - this is a discussion for some other time.

Reply #456602 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Change their names? Are you serious, that gives them a unique identity so they stand out. The last thing we need is another 'Jason Smith' or 'Damien Martin.'

Reply #456604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh, I think you'll find that alot of the names 'evolved' when the slaves were named after their masters. That post was probably the dumbest thing to have been posted in a long time. Congrats.

Reply #456606 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

yes, it was the dumbest thing for a long long long long long time. thank you

Reply #456629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OMG!

Reply #456655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prob enough Thon Maker videos around although this is newish

http://www.youtube.com/watchv=BDZaJFd4aSk&feature=youtu.be

Looks like he is developing his leg strength nicely while keeping his quickness and guard like skills.

I wasn't that worried about him not playing for the boomers 2 years ago as I thought he was overhyped, although he is starting to look like a guy BA need to start getting friendly/developing a relationship with.

Reply #456674 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I'm really not sure what all the fuss is about with these kids... OK they are athletic, but realistically there's only ever been one Sudanese player GLOBALLY that could contribute to the boomers and that's Luol Deng!
Based on their maximum ceilings - I'm taking Joe Ingles and Andrew Bogut over any of these guys any day of the week.
Thanks

Reply #456728 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

What about the great Ater Majok :)

Reply #456734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon its early days. Most of these families have only recently arrived to australia. Our junior system is amongst one of the best in the world and these athletes coming through our system will do well in usa.

Reply #456737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This might help on answering whether the Boomers are interested in Thon Maker:

http://zagsblog.com/articles/thon-maker-top-prospect-in-2016-to-meet-with-australian-national-team-coach/#more-110198

Reply #456782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good news about him meeting with Lemanis. Hopefully it goes well and he commits to the Boomers. BA can't let a player with the skill and massive potential of Maker slip through their fingers.

In 5-6 years the Boomers are going to have a very impressive team - Maker, Simmons, Bogut (hopefully), Bolden, Mills, Dellavadova, Baynes, Ingles, Exum and not to mention guys like Humphries who could be in the mix.

Reply #456987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I like even better is that they consider it "big time" to be considered to play for Australia. His coach also knows he's 15 kgs away from even thinking about playing.

Reply #456989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing for national team is big time for an adult, let alone a 16 year old.

If this kid can put on some weight but keep his mobility plus develop some post moves then damn, he'll be dangerous.

I see him being played as a stretch four. Maybe a future lineup of

C-Bogut/Baynes
PF - Maker
SF - Simmons
SG - Mills
PG - Exum

With Dellavadova, Ingles, Newley etc coming off the bench.

Reply #457039 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

He finishes high school in 2016 and would be a bit raw for international ball but by 2019 he would be a chance for boomers imo.

Reply #457055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he'd play in 2016 but not start or get massive minutes. Sort of like Exum will be during this years worlds.

Reply #457063 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Have spotted a rumour on nbadraft.net that Thon Maker and his brother could join Ben Simmons at Montverde Academy next season. Obviously a rumour at this stage but would be good if true

Reply #458131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does Thon Maker keep changing high schools? Didn't he already change in the last year?

Reply #458156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really want to see more of this Sudanese kid at the CoE..

Reply #458682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refugees are given 1st January or 1st July as a date of birth if they have no birth certificate to prove their age. So the fact Thon Maker was born in February means he has a birth certificate to prove it!

Reply #462760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which Australian player has made it to the NBA by playing NBL. Chris Anstey is about it! Any young Aussie kid would benefit by playing High School and college in America - full stop!!

Reply #477103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bul kuol FTW

Reply #477112 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Daniel Mading impressed recently at rising sophomores camp. Being touted as a top 50 prospect in class of 2017.

Reply #486314 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:15 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754