Moneyballer
Years ago

3 Import Rule

With the new ownership group thinking about having 3 imports per team, I thought I should share these ideas with you:

The 1st one would help keep imports down under for more than 1 season. A team could sign 2 new imports but the 3rd import has to be a player from last NBL season, whether from the same team or another team. For example, the 36ers could retain Gary Ervin and sign a swing-man and a 2 guard.

This one is pretty far-fetched so don't give up on it straight away. So the team gets its 2 imports as usual, but the 3rd has to be a really entertaining player. for example they could sign an electric guard like Gary Ervin, a sweet shooter like Rotnei Clarke or a super athlete like James Ennis. This would improve the style of play in the NBL. Basketball is a sport where you will be sitting there watching and then out of nowhere there is a moment that makes you get out of your chair. Casual fans would be at the arena more. One time a guy sitting behind me said his favourite part was seeing Daniel Sims dunk pre-game.

Tell me which one you like or what you have a problem with or post your own ideas.

Topic #33724 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon they should "multi ball" and areas on the floor the light up and you get double points if you score from there

Reply #457695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What utter rubbish.

Reply #457696 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Man, these anons are out to get me. Show me your ideas boys.

Reply #457700 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"So the team gets its 2 imports as usual, but the 3rd has to be a really entertaining player."

Luckily John Hollinger just finished developing the 'Player Entertainment Rating' statistic which could help the NBL judge signings for their objective entertainment value.

Reply #457702 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

I told you the last one was far-fetched and I think you all agree lol

Reply #457704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rule for the third import should be he must play in beast mode always.

Reply #457710 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Don't expect a decent response from anons moneyballer. The 3 import rule could work when we get 4 more teams, just a thought.

Reply #457721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how is this thing going to work in all seriousness? It failed abysmally last time the NBL tried it. Many teams in the current NBL aren't even spending the cap and now they want a 3rd import?

Reply #457724 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Reply #457730 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

The NBL never had 3 imports did they?

Reply #457732 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Great idea...........let's have five imports! Most teams struggle to pay two, so how the hell are they going to afford three?

Reply #457744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously a kid moneyballer.

Reply #457748 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

The only teams who struggle is T-VILLE and the Gong and it's not an imports salary on top of everything else it's replacing a starters salary. Another thing, you don't have to have the 3rd import if you don't want him.

Reply #457754 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Good idea, if u can afford him, have him I say, the weak teams in the NBL shouldn't be allowed to coast, and the ones in good financial stead should be able to flex their muscle

Reply #457758 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Don't have any restrictions on imports. The local Australian 'talent' are already bringing the league down to a mediocre level. I'm not saying imports are the answer to bringing the talent level up, but too many Aussie players appear comfortable in their mediocre situation because they know they're not going to get cut for anyone better.

Reply #457764 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I like 3 imports but not like the above.

3 imports, at least 1 must be from one of the state leagues like Big V, SEABL, WSBL etc. That one import must have played in one of those league's the season before and IF the player points stays in, that 3rd import can only be rated max 7 points.

This allows "lower" imports that are willing to sign for min money just to play in the league/Australia to be signed.

There are so many of these imports that team's have tried out and liked but did not want to give up 1 of their 2 import slots to. And have said if they were local they would be signed.

This gives those imports a shot at playing in the NBL whilst it's little risk to NBL teams.

People would say why give a roster spot to an import when you can help home grown talent. Yes, that is true to a point. But wouldn't benefit EVERYONE if the talent level was raised? Besides there will be more teams which means more roster spots.

Teys may miss out on a spot, but imagine replacing him with someone like Daequon Montreal? Or what about Wollongong replacing Shane H.T with the rebound machine Ivan Mcfarlin? Sydney Kings could really use someone like Jermel Jenkins coming off the bench instead of trying to get White to play back up PG. Imagine having Jazzmarr Ferguson instead of Drake U'u?

Nothing against the players I've mentioned, but these imports have tried to break the NBL and have said they would play for little cash, teams just aren't willing to take a shot at them because they take up a import slot.

This fixes that.

Reply #457765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only a few imports this year would be the highest paid player on their teams. (Ennis, Young not sure who else off the top).

With an extra few teams coming in its probably worth having the option if teams want to use it. It doesn't mean every team will have 3 Americans on the roster.

I would probably prefer if the third spot was for an American That has already played somewhere in Australia or NZ. This would entice players to come play a season in the SEABL or NZNBL that may have other options. Improving the standard of the 2nd tier leagues will help with expansion as more players will be ready to step up if needed.

Reply #457767 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I like your post natwhereyouat and agree with introducing a third import on WA SBL or SEABL level and after there first season re grade them (assuming some points system is still in place) so if they have great year make them a 10 pt player. Slightly off topic I see that Knight is under contract for 3 years will he be a 10 pt player for the duration of his contact? Can he or any other player for that matter be re evaluated after each season or is their point value locked in?

Reply #457769 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"I see that Knight is under contract for 3 years will he be a 10 pt player for the duration of his contact? Can he or any other player for that matter be re evaluated after each season or is their point value locked in?"
Points ratings are re-evaluated every year, but the new rating only comes into effect if the player signs a new contract.

It used to come into effect if the player signed a new contract OR if the new rating was lower than the old rating, but they changed it. Presumably it made too much sense.

Reply #457771 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Thanks for clearing that up Koberulz I also don't agree with it I don't see Knight as a 10pt player anymore.

Reply #457773 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, it essentially punishes teams for signing players to long-term contracts at or after their peak.

Reply #457774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Don't have any restrictions on imports. The local Australian 'talent' are already bringing the league down to a mediocre level. I'm not saying imports are the answer to bringing the talent level up, but too many Aussie players appear comfortable in their mediocre situation because they know they're not going to get cut for anyone better."

Wow couldn't have summed it up better myself. So many local players are on cruise control it's not funny.

Reply #457778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Local players have never had it tougher, only 60 spots, a lot of pressure just to keep their jobs. I appreciate Wilson Sting's contribution but it's generally more emotional than deeply thought through.

As for imports being expensive, their price range is from about $50K to whatever you want to pay, but some of the best come at the lower end of the price scale.

Reply #457792 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

The French league has a 3 import rule but only two can be on the court at the same time. Also if there is a marquee player rule this player should count as two import players.

Reply #457801 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Three imports is a good idea especially if they are increasing the number of clubs over the next few years. Would help the fledgling clubs be more competitive early days and maintain depth in the squads with the australian talent spread thinner

Reply #457886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australian talent spread thinner? There are 200+ aussies playing in the college system and yet the NBL are suggesting 3 imports. Has Cal Bruton been in their ear?
It failed miserably last time doesnt the NBL know that?

Reply #457890 | Report this post

Rashad- Perth  
Years ago

I get this idea, but because this is an australian basketball league, i think having 2 imports is enough. scout your imports correctly, and you'll end up with players like ennis, beal, clarke, ervin etc

Reply #458031 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

Instead of a 3 import rule, why not have one aus/nz player that has zero points, it might bring some of the good players back from Europe and College

Reply #458128 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont mind the three-point rule with the expansion to 16 teams, at least for the first few years. With eight teams there is no need for it.

Reply #458136 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's been around since 1984, I doubt it's going anywhere.

:p

Reply #458144 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

@Keany is what your saying about a 0 point (unrestricted) player basically another version of marquee player proposal? If/when we get to 16 teams I don't see 3 imports being a problem, that's 48 jobs which still leaves 112 local positions plus development players.

Reply #458148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the 3 import rule, even now, would potentially boost the entertainment level, which really is what the NBL should be/is about, putting on a show for the fans.

No dissrespect to the 10th men out there but wouldnt the team be better and more entertaining for example if we had a cheap import, to use a name ill say Farley instead of Teys at the 36ers? I cant see how it wouldnt be better and more entertaining, obviously not expecting the cheap import (Farley) to be a stud, but to still play a role off the bench. It would improve it more where teams have a gaping whole in their starting line up, ie the Crocs at C, they would be better off for sure if they grabbed a import C, instead of a Vanderjagt type. It will also increase the quality of the league, so i say do it next season. I do feel for the 10th men that would slide out of the league, but to offset that you could just have rosters of 12, ie a 3rd import comes in, Teys keeps his job and Daly gets a gig, everyone wins imo.

Reply #458154 | Report this post

Keany  
Years ago

Yeah pretty much, I think that instead of getting a heap of overseas players we should try and get some of the best australian players back into the league like joe ingles and David Anderson etc

Reply #458208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is guys like Ingles are just on way too much money overseas to get back, im pretty sure Ingles makes more than the entire cap, he is in his mid 20s i dont see him making that big of a pay cut to come back,

also if a NBL team did pay him $1 mil on top of everyone else, ie spend around 2 mil on their roster, there is no way they would recover the additional expenditure, im a massive Joe Ingles fan and would love for him to be in the NBL but he isnt going to make crowds rise massively which they would need to for the club to cover his cost.

However, it has been shown you can get very good imports, even young guys fresh out of college for less than $100k, not saying they are as good as Inlges, but in many cases are just as entertaining and would draw just as many crowds, examples i can think of are Chris Williams, Ebi Ere, Willie Farley, Ty McKee, Gary Ervin, im pretty sure none of these guys were much over $100k in their first season and some would have been less, even guys like Corin Henry and Lance Hurdle who was a minimum salary guy was a decent, exciting import last season.

Thats why im going for 3 imports as you can get a good 3rd import for not that much more than you are paying a 10th man anyway, maybe an extra $50-60k tops, which is way less than the extra $950k+ it would take to bring Ingles in, so doesnt really cost clubs that much more or risk sending them broke, throwing the money required to get Ingles just couldnt be recovered in the NBL environment. He would have to come back for NBL money and whilst he is in his mid 20's playing Euroleague i dont see it happening, however would love for it to happen, as im a massive Ingles fan!

Reply #458226 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Guys who have Euro passports can get good money and there are always plenty of jobs available, so getting them back will be tough.

For Aussies/Kiwis who are imports in Europe (which I think is only Brad Newley, Ater Majok and Kirk Penney at the moment, and prob Nate Jawai again next year) things can be a bit more unpredictable, but Brad seems to have made himself right at home on the Canary Islands.

Reply #458256 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:03 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754