Anonymous
Years ago

Hugh Greenwood working out with Utah Jazz

http://www.deseretnews.com/article//Utah-Jazz-workout-Greenwood-hopes-to-join-fellow-Aussies-in-NBA.html

Topic #37167 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good for him , will be better for he experience whatever happens. Good to see so many young Aussies doing well.

I'm amazed that lithuania only have two nba players at the moment and we have so many more (I know they have plenty of talent in euro leagues)

Reply #530550 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Mitch McCarron trained with the Nuggets this week and had a further 5 workouts to come.

Reply #530555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks LC, I didn't know that

Reply #530563 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Oh yeah I forgot about Mitch. Div 2 college player right? What is he like lc? A chance for euro , Nbl ?

Reply #530564 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I didn't think Div 2 players got NBA looks?

Reply #530568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Godo players always get a look, but D2 players don't get mentioned in Aussie media which include PnR.

Reply #530570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you know that Scottie Pippen was a Division 2 college player?

Reply #530571 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Mitch McCarron is exciting! LC any chance NBL. Id love him at United!!!

Reply #530573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three time Lakers championship player Devean George was a Div 3 college player

Reply #530580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many spuds here saying he cant make it. He's at least got a shot far more than most all us here will ever have. He set out to do this a long time ago and every goal he has set he has achieved. Not only that his mother has serious medical issues too. He set up a charity about breast cancer and pink awareness that raised $10,000's world wide.
Academically and athletically he was outstanding and has achieved more than most here have in their life times already than the spuds here will ever achieve. Please dont tell me he can't. I know him personally and I and many others know he can achieve what ever he wants.

Reply #530583 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Lol over reaction much?

There isn't a single post here saying anything of the sort. Gwb made a comment expressing surprise that div 2 players got looked at or drafted to the nba. A few people pointed out a few players that have.

Reply #530584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think greenwood would make a great 3rd string pg in the nba on minimum wage.
Jazz have Burke, Exum and cotton. No one seems to want Burke and they want cotton backing up Dante. Maybe he gets stashed in the d league?

has he got tryouts with other clubs?

Reply #530586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greenwoods strengths are his vision, his defence and his low turnover rate?
Also has improved alot on his shooting..

Reply #530587 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

McCarron is a gun, D2 POTY.

And yes, we gave him his own article too on PnR!

Here it is...

McCarron named National Player of the Year

And he earned more recognition on PnR a season earlier too here:

McCarron and Metro State steal the limelight

Reply #530589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron is working out at Denver Nuggets right now?

Reply #530592 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

He has finished.

Interview here: http://www.nba.com/nuggets/video/teams/nuggets/2015/05/27/150527MitchMcCarronInterviewmp4-3607978

Reply #530595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This guy is a cross between greenwood and dellavedova. I really like his attitude and think he should make the nba, or at least summer league. His numbers for metro state are pretty amazing.

Reply #530596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if the Utah are still interested in Motum? Potential for four aussies at the Jazz next season.

Reply #530597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The negative posts are in the true greenwood thread. So many criticizing him. They clearly haven't got the balls to do it here. The cowards.

Reply #530599 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Haven't seen Greenwood play since he was at the AIS, but I would've thought he had a few more athletic tools at his disposal than Delly... so it's up to him whether he takes the opportunities given him. I for one hope he makes it either there or in Europe (and more importantly - in the Boomers).

On D2 & Junior College players... Boti wrote a good article about how at NBL level we're enamored with guys that've come out of Div1 programs, but that there are SO many great players that for whatever reason, landed in Div2/3 or Junior Colleges that would be excellent NBL imports... I think the same logic could be applied to the NBA.

Reply #530601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Jazz chose Cooley over motum.

Reply #530602 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

While no other player has yet confirmed any dates for NBA workouts, a number of other Australians could yet be involved. They could include Chris Goulding (CAI Zaragoza, Spain), Brock Moutm (Adelaide, NBL), Ryan Broekhoff (Besiktas Integral Forex Istanbul, Turkey) and Julian Khazzouh (ex-Sagesse, Lebanon) to name just a few.

Greenwood and McCarron undertake early NBA workouts

Reply #530603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum/Burke/cotton
Burks/hood/millsap
Hayward/ingles/dekker(draft pick possibly)
Favors/booker
Gobert

leaves 3 more players to pick.
Tomic has re-signed with Barcelona so he won't be coming.
Motum has a chance at pf but they have Cooley and Jarrett on the roster already.
Another centre or 2 is required.

Reply #530604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broekhoff is signed to besiktas until 2017. Maybe an nba out clause?

Reply #530608 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Greenwood is a man of amazing character. A true man with a big heart and someone I have a lot of respect for. That Jazz interview was amazing..probably one of the best interviews I have seen a pro sportsman do.

Re: his basketball and NBA chances. He could be a great NBL player and maybe Europe but certainly not NBA. I'm not been a hater, just opining that I don't think he has a single skill set that is NBA standard (therefore I struggle to see how he will be effective). Undersized guard who can't really run the point but is too small and not a good enough shooter to be a SG.

Greenwood IMO strikes me as someone similar to Rhys Carter save for a higher ceiling.

I rate a guy like Drmic and his pro career because that kid can flatout score (was one of the best in College Basketball last year) and having that skill set means you have a niche and can carve out a career better than someone who you may struggle to understand their role in the team (just my opinion though).

Reply #530609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Becoming a trend... Potential nba players.
Last year 2014
Bairstow and motum from college

This year 2015
Greenwood and McCarron from college

Next year 2016
Drmic and jois from college most likely.

Plus a bunch of young guys.
Simmons, maker, w.white maybe?

Reply #530615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isnt he signed by Perth?

Reply #530616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Certainly not NBA"

Yet the Jazz asked him to try out...

Reply #530617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Signed by perth. No. More perth drivel. Opining on someones ability based on their theory of how good a player is meaningless. If you have game cred and want to give serious opinion then please add your real name. Otherwise stfu.

Reply #530618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hugh posted this l8nk on his fb page. Good reading.
http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865629638/Utah-Jazz-workout-Greenwood-hopes-to-join-fellow-Aussies-in-NBA.html?ref=http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2F%3Fref%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2F

Reply #530622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hugh posted this l8nk on his fb page. Good reading.
http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865629638/Utah-Jazz-workout-Greenwood-hopes-to-join-fellow-Aussies-in-NBA.html?ref=http%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2F%3Fref%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2F

Reply #530623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hugh posted this link on his fb page. Good reading.

Reply #530624 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

Yep Ryan has an NBA out clause.

Reply #530628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Young Gun those who know or have been there understand that it is not all about D1 when an Aussie baller is looking at college. It is about the fit! You can land a full scholarship worth just as much as a D1 in a strong D2 and get a better education with more court time and in a smaller university. Also, there may be less chance the coach scouts a player to come in and play your minutes the following year. Only very special or athletic Aussie ballers make a D1 and get big minutes, there will only be a handful every year. The others sit and watch and wonder why they didn't go to a D2 or move down to one soon enough. D3 or Jucco is not usually funded, the parents of the kid have to pay so different story.

Reply #530633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just from watching that interview with Greenwood you can see just how good a team mate he is he would do anything to win. His positive attitude would no doubt be infectious for others

Reply #530638 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Broekhoff has an NBA out clause as described here:

Turkish All-Star Broekhoff extends contract

Reply #530645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#618, it wasn't Perth who said anything about Hugh signing with them. It was Boti.

Reply #530648 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Corey Webster has also received invites to workout with a few NBA teams.

Great for Aus/NZ basketball.

Reply #530650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac fotu too

Reply #530652 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Good for them , I like seeing our neighbours doing well. With loe and Adams they can shake a few teams in comps in the future if they can add some other good young pieces.

Reply #530653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would say McCarron has a greater chance at making NBA than Greenwood based on offensive ability and long range shooting. Defensive ability, size and ability to guard multiple positions, Greenwood is ahead.

Those looking at Utah and Greenwood I see it as a long chance. Fair chance this offseason they will try and bring Raul Neto in as they hold his draft rights and have Neto and Exum as PG combo for the future. I can see Burke traded out for a veteran PG (maybe using Burke to trade up in the Draft).

Good that Greenwood getting looks, but unsure how his game translates to the NBA. Ryan Broekhoff should get A LOT of looks as a 3-D player that so many teams need (Charlotte, Memphis, Detroit, Oklahoma, Denver to name a few).

Reply #530658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron is the same height as greenwood (both 6'3-191cm) and 10-15 lbs heavier.
Both undersized guards in regards to length and height.
In the Detroit interview.. McCarron says his well aware he will have to play against guys much more athletic and 3-4 inches taller than him at the next level if he makes it.

Reply #530659 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

I think most Aussies would be aware that we are physically a bit less athletic than the Americans. This is why every NBA player we have is a high IQ guy. Patty is the only one whose athleticism and speed ranks favourably. I like the Australian NBA identity - smarts and hustle.

Reply #530667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There should be a spot for me in the league as a miss 3s and get beat player.

Reply #530670 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

That Q+A with Greenwood was eye-opening. Whichever teams he ends up on (NBL / NBA / Europe) is getting a highly impressive young man (who can ball!) on their roster.

Reply #530677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great person. One of the finest at that young age I have ever known.

Reply #530678 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:59 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754