MACDUB
Years ago

Spurs vs Thunder - Game 6

Massive game today with the Spurs trying to stave off elimination against a Thunder team playing pretty good basketball at both ends.

One thing that I have noticed with the Spurs (and I wonder if others have too) is that their offence at the moment seems to be characterised by little ball movement, few passes and player movement and overall isolation plays (i.e. dribble down, find LA and let him go to work).

This hasn't really ever being Spurs basketball (or not to the extent we've seen in the last few games).

It's a great series to watch because it seems to be a clash of different styles. Thunder seem to win on the sheer talent and play of certain players alone, whereas the Spurs are a bit more calculated in what they're trying to do. Personally, I think that explains the OKC's inconsistency issues - they place so much reliance on Durant and Westbrook that when they don't get it going, it turns pear shape. On the flip-side, when they do get it going, they can crush anyone in the game today.

Topic #39365 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Another interesting point is how much Serge Ibaka has moved away from the paint in the last few years.

Back in 2012, he averaged an outstanding 3.7 blocks per game and in 2013 he averaged 8.8rpg.

This season he averaged 1.9 blocks per game and 6.8 rpg.

Reply #587247 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Spurs fans would be very nervous about this game. A bit of talk around about how the Spurs have no answer for Adams and Kanter. Duncan finally looking like time has caught him?

Reply #587251 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Need to see more of Boban

Reply #587252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spurs are pretty much done. Outside of Kawahi and LMA they need some younger players to replace Duncan and Ginoboli. Parker is on his last legs as well.

They need to use guys like Diaw and Green as trade bait to get some quality back. I don't believe all the Durant to the Spurs talk as well.

They need a C and some firepower off the bench.

Reply #587255 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

We are seeing the end of an era right now...

Reply #587256 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

The Ibaka thing is because he's their only guy who can defend all the stretch 4s in the Association. Therefore, he's usually pulled away from the key. He's basically a nought on offence as well, wouldn't be surprised if he's mentioned in trades this off-season.

Reply #587257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spurs should seriously look at Dwight. Granted he is not what he used to be and has zero post game, but I believe with a guy like LMA next to him he could thrive.

The only thing is I cant see Pop wanting to deal with a locker room cancer like Dwight.

Reply #587258 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I am nervous about this game also, but if OKC are good enough to win through, good luck to them!

You guys may be forgetting Aldridge, was he not brought in to cover for the loss of Baynes and support an aging Duncan?

Bet they would love to have Big Banger back right now...

Reply #587259 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"When there is talk about the best point guards, sometimes they don't talk about me. But that's not my main motivation. They can talk about Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Deron Williams and Chris Paul. I still have the most rings."

- Tony Parker

Reply #587261 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Could the Spurs pull off the upset of the decade? 13 down. 6 to go.

Reply #587262 | Report this post

RMQ  
Years ago

Few things are more satisfying than watching the Spurs be eliminated!

Reply #587263 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Spurs are pretty much done" - yes, this year obviously.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them re-load and be there or there abouts next year though.

You have to remember they set a franchise record 67 wins this season and had a superb W-L record at home. They played beautiful basketball all season. A lot of that wasn't necessarily achieved through Duncan, Ginobili and/or Parker anyway. They"ll be strong again next year. Just beaten by a better team this series who weared them down.

Sad to think this may be Manu's and Duncan's last games in the NBA..even more sad to think people won't know just how good these guys were at their prime.

In the 2007 season, for example, the 'Big 3' (the original big 3) went:

Duncan: 21ppg and 11rpg
Ginobili: 19.5ppg, 5rpg and 5apg on 46%FG, 40%3 and 85%F
Parker: 18.6ppg and 5.5apg on 52%FG, 39%3 and 78%3

Greatness.

Predict that GSW will walk over OKC for the pure fact that the tempo which OKC will play at will play right into GSW's hands and also OKC have problems in the 4th (you can't beat a team like GSW when you don't turn up in the 4th)

Reply #587264 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Big turnaround from game one. Spurs looked shaken.

Reply #587265 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

It actually wouldn't shock me to see KD in a Spurs uniform next season. Not sure how they mange it cap-wise, but knowing Pop and RC Buford it wouldn't come as a surprise.

Reply #587266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty Mills was a huge disappointment.

Reply #587277 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The funny thing is that Adams looks like the kind of player who would fit perfectly with the Spurs systems. Always in the right locations, sets good well timed screens, finishes, rebounds and plays hard.

Wonder if the Spurs are watching that thinking hmm we got to go after this guy hardwhen he is off his rookie contract.

They need a C.

Reply #587278 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

Adams is a fuking goon. Dirty scum of the earth walking around trying to injure people.

Reply #587280 | Report this post

Jim  
Years ago

Not a Spurs supporter by any chance James?

Reply #587281 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

Nope but I've seen enough to know Adams is a dirty player.

Reply #587282 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

What the hell was Pop doing with those rotations? He lost them that game.

He tried to shake it up too much rather than putting faith in his players to get the job done. They had been competitive all series: a couple of balls bounce the other way or a couple of calls go their way and they have already moved onto the WCF.

Instead he shakes it up and they get obliterated.

That's on Pop. Really uncharacteristically poor coaching.

Reply #587283 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I expect Duncan and Ginobili to retire, in which case Pop will too. If only Duncan goes, I reckon Pop will stay.

They need a good C who can fit into a system, as some have said, and so there's no way they'd waste oxygen by talking about Toxic Howard.

I think they needed Splitter more than Baynes to counter Adams and Kanter.

Against GSW, I expect the OKC bigs to struggle.

Reply #587286 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Duncan and Ginobili will pick up their options and go one more year, Spurs will release David West(or, not encourage him to pick up his option), will use the $8 or so million they have left over to re sign Boban and sign Pau Gasol to a discount deal. They'll roll again with Gasol into the starting 5, Duncan being used sparingly off the bench and sharing with Boban who will get more opportunities.

You heard it first here.

Reply #587288 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Salty much James? Guess you never watched the NBA in the 90's when men actually played?

Reply #587289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The positive is it gives Patty more rest time before Rio hopefully he can get back to his best as he hasn't been since the shoulder surgery.

Reply #587293 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

Trying to pop peoples shoulders out is not a mans play. That is what goons like Adams do. Adams is widely recognized as a goon in the NBA for a reason.

Reply #587294 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Crying Jordan Face.....

Reply #587303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's always my favourite day in the playoffs when the Spurs get knocked out. I honestly thought there was no way OKC were going to win this series as their play down the stretch wouldn't be good enough in the close games - but they proved me wrong.

As someone said above, the substitutions in this game by Pop were woeful and he seemed to be out coached after game 1. Everyone goes on about how classy pop is but he just annoys me with the arrogance with which he treats the media and the fans. I would be happy to see him retire.

Can't wait for Thunder vs OKC, should be a cracker.

Reply #587304 | Report this post

Uncle 0hil  
Years ago

Whoops, wasn't logged in, that above post was me

Reply #587305 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

LV I'd love to see a Gasol in the Spurs but I just can't appreciate Boban - seems too limited and slow to me.

Reply #587310 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

LOL at the "Adams is a dirty player" jibes. Adams was huge in that series - a coming-of-age series in a lot of ways. I wouldn't call him dirty necessarily, he pushes the boundaries at times and gets under people's skin but there was nothing in that series to suggest he's "dirty".

He hustled hard, defended and rebounded well and was dangerous around the hoop.

And to play through a migraine yesterday and still post a double double was impressive.

Reply #587311 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Uncle 0hil,

Yes i can't wait to see Thunder vs OKC. That will be an interesting matchup.

Reply #587313 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Adams does nothing David West doesn't do on the court....

Reply #587314 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Even series you reckon MACDUB?

Reply #587315 | Report this post

Jim  
Years ago

Thunder is certain to go past OKC.

Reply #587319 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Haha Woops, Warriors vs. OKC, proof reading not my strong point today.

I really hope guys like Durant stay with the one team their entire career. I think it would be disappointing if he were to leave OKC after this season. For me it taints star players legacies when they move teams. It is most impressive for me when a player builds his reputation with one team, but also themselves build and add to the culture at that team over their career. I think it makes guys like Duncan and Jordan that extra bit special. I know player movement is part of the NBA and players often don't have that option to always stay with the one team. But most of the superstars do have that option and I just wish it happened more often. It's a reason why I am happy to see Aldridge not win the championship this year, he would have earned a lot more respect in my view if he had stayed with Portland and tried to build a championship team with Lillard and Mccollum but in the end, he took the easy way out and only got as far as his old team anyway.

Reply #587320 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Westbrook vs Westbrook match up would be absolute gold to see!

Reply #587321 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

I agree Uncle Phil. It's always a great day when the Spurs get knocked out of the playoffs especially when they were odds on favourites to win that series. OKC surprised me with just how strong their defence was especially Roberson on Kawhi. Plus they made a great adjustment guarding Aldridge overplaying his right shoulder on the post.

Kanter and Adams were awesome too. No way Adams is dirty - he just plays hard. I love watching him play.

Spurs really need to look at their point guard position for next season. Patty's a good backup but not sure Parker can match it anymore with the best in the west especially in the post season.

Reply #587330 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Could someone enlighten me on why so many hate the Spurs?

Is it because of their excellent record? Would you rather support worse teams?

Is it because of their team-first philosophy? Do you prefer to watch one or two studs and put up with the rest of the guys on the team?

Is it because they're not exciting or colourful enough? Would you rather see guys who strut and dunk and make sure everyone knows how good they are?

Is it because their coach doesn't suck up to the media? Would you rather hear the same old twaddle week after week?

I thought the reason everyone watched NBA because it is THE BEST. So why all the hate for one of the best teams? Do you also hate Stef Curry too, then?

Personally, I support any team which has an Aussie in it, as well as 'my' team (which is playing crap right now).

Reply #587332 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

People hate the best teams/best players..its natural fam behaviour. They hate the Spus even more because not only are they a good team, they've been good for years now. Same reason why people hate the Warriors, hate the Lakers of the 2000's etc.

Reply #587335 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thought Patty could have done more if given more chance to do more, but at least he can prepare more now for Rio...

Reply #587418 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:58 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754