Isaac
Years ago

NBL: Cairns-Brisbane blackout result stands

On Sunday 13th November, 2016 a malfunctioning underground cable caused the loss of power to hundreds of homes and businesses in Cairns during the final quarter of the Round 6 match up between the Cairns Taipans and Brisbane Bullets being played at the Cairns Convention Centre.

At 3:58pm local time the power was lost to the Stadium and the game was stopped with 1:31
remaining in the 4th quarter with the score being (Cairns) 76 - (Brisbane) 84.

At 4:30pm local time the NBL made the decision to abandon the game with no prospect of an
immediate resolution being available. Power was restored at 5:15pm local time.

This morning the NBL reviewed the result due to a formal protest from the Cairns Taipans. After careful consideration the NBL has determined that the result will stand as per the scores at the time the game was abandoned.
Full statement

Topic #40287 | Report this topic

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Probably the right call tbh.

Reply #607851 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

If you're a Cairns fan you'll argue that the remainder of the game should be played out as Jawai was going to the line and there was a chance blah blah blah. If you're a bullets fan you'll take the result and walk away with the W and if you're a neutral supporter I would suggest that the decision is probably the right one. A great road win by the Bullets either way!!

Reply #607856 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

Definitely the right call. Suggesting Cairns had momentum and the scores could have been closer etc is heading down some Duckworth-Lewis path and no one wants that.

Brisbane were in front when the game ended.

Reply #607857 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Least worst call maybe? Replay the entire game? Unfair on Brisbane. Play the 1:30 as a standalone event? Expensive and weird. Play it before the next meeting between these teams? Cheap but still weird.

The NBA have resumed games at a later date, but they seem to have still had a half to play. The Malice at the Palace game was called over at that point with under 1-2 minutes to play.

Reply #607858 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Probably a fair result, given that 95% or more of teams in Brisbane's situation would go on to win, and any alternatives such as re scheduling would seem unpalatable.

However, as a gesture of goodwill to the Taipans and in fairness I'd suggest that this game be ignored for the purpose of +/- in the event that these teams finish on equal number of wins.

Reply #607859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's what the rules say and it's probably the right call. Would be stupid to try and replay it or re-do the last minute or something like that. I can see why they would be annoyed but its a very rare circumstance and you never know what the end result could have been. Cairns could have won (probably unlikely though), or it could have been Brisbane by a 3 point margin, or they might have been worse off and it could have been Brisbane by a 14 point margin, we'll never know. Would be unfair on Brisbane imo if it went to a rematch and they potentially lost by 10 or something, and trying to replay the last minute just seems stupid.

Reply #607869 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

What rubbish,so if this game had lead 5 changes in the last qtr and one team was one point up when the lights went you're all still happy with the result? They are rules right?
The game wasn't finished. Only fair result is a draw.

Reply #607877 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Ok, what if - Jawai makes the 2 freethrows,still 97sec on clock.

fact 1/ - 6 point difference with 97sec to go....anyones game? yes or no? YES

fact 2/ - with their bigs in foul trouble etc,scene set for a potential momentum swing back to Cairns? and very close finish? yes or no? Yes

Was the game over? momentum says maybe/likely, but considering facts, NO.

Should this decision be based on assumed momentum?
If so, what about a potential momentum swing??

Too many variables for me, the game wasn't finished.... either play it again or call it a draw.

Reply #607878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about some extra drama.
Let Nate shoot 2 free throws tonight live on NBL TV. If he hits both it's a draw. If not the result stands.

Reply #607879 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Everyone should've put their flash on and continued with manual timing and score keeping. :P

Obviously something for other teams to consider now whether their arenas / stadiums are up to the task when power outs occur.

Reply #607880 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This is all very subjective, no matter which way you look at it.

But ultimately:

- A draw would be unfair on Brisbane, given that they had put themselves in a situation where, in 19 out of 20 times they would win had the game finished.

- Replaying the game is impractical.

So- give the game to Brisbane. And consider removing points spread from this game from considerations at year's end, if that situation arises. Simple.

For those saying "what if" Jawai hits both free throws, it's a 6 point game. If you want to be technical about this, Jawai is shooting 52% from the line this season and shot 55% last season, so what are his probabilities of hitting both? Quite low.

Reply #607881 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I should add, a replay is expensive. That's what I meant by impractical. Cairns would probably want to do the right thing by their fans and give them free entrance. But of course they'd still have to pay stadium rent fee, etc etc.

Reply #607882 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

percentage chances of players making shots is not the point, a bit like saying "19 out of 20 times they would win that game".....once again, not the point.

Reply #607883 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

So where do you draw the line on which games should be determined a draw (due to factors, like momentum or closeness) or which games should be decided with the winner being whoever was in front by a large enough margin (say Brisbane were in front by 20+ with 90 seconds left)?

Reply #607886 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Skull, you're the one using probabilities to make your argument. You're saying it's "anyone's game".

You can't have your cake and eat it too.

If it's "not the point" then what is the point? If Cairns had been down by 20 points instead of 8, would you concede that fairness and practicality dictates the win go to Brisbane?

Reply #607888 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

As I said, it's obviously subjective.

But you have to draw a line somewhere. In this case, I think neutral observers would agree that Brisbane getting the win is a fair result.

Reply #607889 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Gotta love the link at the bottom of the article:

NBL partners with Dodo Electricity

Reply #607890 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

Yes, I'm agreeing with you. People seems to be saying that Cairns were hard done by because they were still in with a chance. I'm asking where do they draw that line. And then once they draw that line, someone else makes a case why being an extra point down is still in with a shot, and so on.

Brisbane were in front when the game ended. Unfortunately, the game ended slightly early due to circumstances beyond anyone's control. Brisbane won.

Reply #607891 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

So where do you draw the line on which games should be determined a draw(due to factors, like momentum or closeness) or which games should be decided with the winner being whoever was in front by a large enough margin (say Brisbane were in front by 20+ with 90 seconds left)?.

Huh...We are talking about a power outage that no body had control over,no one teams fault.

Reply #607892 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I think I can count myself as neutral in this regard.

The game was not finished, not even close.
NBL chose to abandon the game.
ONLY fair result is to call it a draw.

Perth were in front with 20 seconds to go last night, should I have pulled the fuses???

In that situation, any outcome is sub-optimal.
But where do you draw the line?
It has to be a draw.

Reply #607893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Skull.

"Ok, what if - Jawai makes the 2 freethrows,still 97sec on clock."

At 52% FT shooting, Nate had a 27% chance of hitting both. 23% of missing both and 50% of hitting one of two.

Its 73% chance he would miss one or more.

I suppose you'll also suggest that Fuk-One was going to sky over the FT line and slam the put back MJ style? Pretty hard when he is on the bench, but wait...Fearne would have realised his mistake when the darkness hit.

"fact 1/ - 6 point difference with 97sec to go....anyones game? yes or no? YES"

Your opinions are not facts.

"fact 2/ - with their bigs in foul trouble etc,scene set for a potential momentum swing back to Cairns? and very close finish? yes or no? Yes"

Again....Your opinions are not facts.

"Was the game over? momentum says maybe/likely, but considering facts, NO."

Again....Your opinions are not facts.

With the state of play at the time, on the balance of probabilities, Brisbane would win.

Reply #607894 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

"Perth were in front with 20 seconds to go last night, should I have pulled the fuses???"

Thought you'd done this a long time ago...

Reply #607895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz if you knew anything about the game pull the fuses out by all means. Power would have been restored speedily and the game would have continued normally. This was an extreme case as as the result was all but over, the result should stand.

Reply #607897 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Dazz with another intelligent contribution there.

The NBL chose to call the game off because everyone had been standing around in the dark for more than half an hour and there were no immediate prospects of the power coming back on. (This decision was validated by the fact that power did not come back for another 45 minutes after that).

Again, the game might not have been "Over" but on the balance of probabilities, Brisbane wins this game *at least* 9 times out of 10.

Look at this from both sides. If the game had to be replayed in full, or if a draw was given, if I were a Brisbane fan then I would be mightily pissed off.

Reply #607900 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

If you want to fix more games via power outages, just build more renewable energy sources...

Reply #607901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With an 8 point deficit with a minute and a half left, 9/10 times a team in that position wins. Yes Cairns were still a chance, but unlikely. As a Perth fan I can say I would have 0 faith in Jawai hitting 2 clutch free throws. Too many "could have's" and "what if's" to try and take away a win from Brisbane when they were up by 8, would be unfair to do so. I think the right call was made.

Reply #607903 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Have to wonder about the intelligence of the Cairns loyalists being for the entire game to be replayed, despite the obvious impracticalities and unfairness.

I'm not a Brisbane supporter as such but I go to their games. I wouldn't have an issue if the final minute + was played out prior to the next BNE @ CAI match, assuming there is one.

Reply #607904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz you may be neutral but I think in this case you are, as they say, an active short of being a complete circuit. It's very unlikely that fuses are used in a modern facility such as Perth Arena.

Reply #607907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let alone get access to the switchboard and even know which ones to pull. The only thing Dazz has been pulling isn't fuses.

Reply #607926 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

Ok I think Dazz was just making a point about how the blackout rule could set a precedent. It wasn't a great point but you don't need to be an electrician to understand it.

Reply #607927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It definitely wasn't a great point if you arcs me.

Reply #607939 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

No it wasn't flash.

Reply #607942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was confused

Reply #607944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz v Nonanon: a tard fight for the ages

Reply #607947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone point me to the rules for this decision? I have been involved in only 1 abandoned game ever and one delayed for about 25min.
I have a quick look at the fiba rules and found nothing.

Reply #607952 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

"Dazz v Nonanon: a tard fight for the ages"

What exactly have I said that you disagree with?

Reply #607953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anything you post.

Reply #607956 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

there aren't any rules. The FIBA rules that are being sighted are FIBA tournament rules.

The NBL basically made it up on the spot. Play the 1.30 before the next Cairns v Bullets game - Bullets probably still win, but there's no * on the game.

Given that the NBL screwed up our starting schedule and moved the NYE game, a little bit of love would have gone a long way.

Where's the love....

Reply #607962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the NBL 'owes' Cairns because no NYE game?

Cairns doesn't own the NYE game nor do they have auto-dibs on it every year.

Reply #607972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isnt a season just one big tournament kingpodge? Time to get over it. You lost

Reply #607974 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

The FACT is(anon 7894) there aren't any concrete rules in place...get some or call it a draw is all i'm saying(and I put my name to it wanker)

Reply #607975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see...your name is Skull and you're identified as the only Skull on the net, and somehow that earns you credit.

No.

Furthermore in your previous post you didn't mention the lack of rules as a fact. That I could have accepted.

Instead you had to result to wishful BS like Nate (52% FT) was going to hit both and then 6 points down with 97 seconds left was 'anyone's game'. And then pass it on as fact.

Reply #607978 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

For real though, where did people get the 'Nate was owed free throws' idea? At the time the lights went out, Bairstow literally wasn't touching him.

Reply #607980 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Oh dear....FFS

Reply #607982 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

How any person in their right mind can think that calling the game a draw is the right option is beyond me. If you're a Cairns supporter though, I understand your bias view as I would be the same if it were my side.
I think the league made the right call in what was a difficult spot to be in. There surely is no contingency for this sort of scenario and you're never going to keep all parties involved happy. Law of probability suggests that Brisbane go on to win the game.

Reply #607983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball doesn't have draws, a fact Skull opted not to reference in his suite of 'facts'.

Reply #607987 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Asking for a draw or a full replay is absurd. The two options available are having the result stand or playing the last 1:34 next time the Bullets play in Cairns.

Reply #607988 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Fuckwit Anonytrolls at it again...

The problem is that people seem to think that Brisbane have earned some right to "happiness". They haven't, they didn't win.
A "bad thing" happened, it wasn't anyone's fault, but neither do Brisbane have some right to be protected from it at all costs. The only fair thing to do is to share "the pain" and either replay or call it a draw.

Scratching some number from your arse and claiming "Brisbane would have won 9 out of 10 times" doesn't make it so.

FACT is that nobody can say with any certainty how the game would have ended. Under those circumstances, awarding the game to Brisbane is completely unfair on Cairns.

Much as I would prefer to keep the principle clear, sure, if a team was up by 20 points with 91 seconds on the clock, or by 6~8 with 10 seconds, then you could call it. But potentially as little as 6 points in 91 seconds? Hell no.

You need to accept that there is no perfect solution. Nothing the NBL can do will make up for it. So the only thing they can do is be as fair as possible.

Reply #607990 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

How is a draw fair to Brisbane? You're requesting a fair result but your solution to the issue is completely unfair to the Bullets who had put themselves in a position where they are likely to win. The only fair way to do this would be to play out the final 1:16 (or whatever was left on the clock) but that isn't an equitable solution. The league did the only thing that's reasonable given the unfortunate scenario presented to them.

Reply #607991 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Anon 7987 - Well, maybe this is exactly where a draw (is appropriate) in the future when/if the NBL makes a concrete ruling on these unusual circumstances.

Anon 7978 - probably the same dickhead as above- So, because I didn't state & you didn't know the lack of (NBL)rules earlier you think that gives you credit....

Reply #607996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the NBL has decided to make up a rule? Is that what we are saying?

Reply #608011 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Someone send Dazz and Skull on a training camp together, with Nate Jawai teaching free throw shooting

Reply #608018 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Anons on fire tonight........ I guess he got bored trolling Hillary voters on twitter...

#MakeAnonGreatAgain

Reply #608021 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I tend to think the "play next time" has weaknesses too. What if Brisbane, like Melbourne right now, is decimated by injuries and is fielding half their own team and half a SEABL side for the last 91 seconds of the next match? That would be unfair on the Bullets. As much as we'd like to simulate the same situation exactly, you can't reliably do it. If Cairns won in that event, That would not remove the * at all. It's just that Cairns would have a win with the *.

The one thing we do know is that teams in Brisbane's situation rarely lose. It can happen but you're talking under 10%. So give them the result and move on.

Reply #608032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where is this rule the NBL used?

Reply #608033 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Probably the first game in the NBL like this. The right call IMO. Only other option would be a point each.

Although 8 down and 1:31 on the clock a team could still achieve a win, in general I'ld say that in 80% of games, Brisbane would have been in a winnable position.

Reply #608038 | Report this post

Caps Fan  
Years ago

In this , Basketball Canberra clearly leads the FIBA world in its own acknowledged wisdom.How they ever failed to manage the cannons is a true wonder.

Just have the next December 3 Bris/cairns game count for double points, and for statistical purposes just dispense with this abandoned game and double the next games' stats.

of course the objection would be that makes two home games for the Bullets , so they could just wait until the Jan 29th Cairns home game.

OR the NBL could just add up all the stats and totals from the Dec3 and Jan29 games and divide by two - creating a 'fantasy" game that subs in for the first abandoned game.

Reply #608050 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Just got around to watching this

Why were people going on about free throws, or a possible 6 point margin?

Jawai caught the ball, and the lights went out.... Unless there's a delay or some error on the broadcast???

Reply #608056 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And he wasnt even in the low post, he was at the 45....

Reply #608057 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

It's true, the refs wouldn't have called a foul because it was Jawai with the ball.

If there's no official rule then I think LK should have the final say. It's his money after all.

Reply #608070 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Double or nothing works for me, adds a little bit of extra spice to the contest too.

Reply #608076 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

I was watching live on SBS and I think I saw Jawai get fouled.

Reply #608143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So no one can cite the rule. That's a joke.
I know there was one once, but I looked and couldn't find anything current. Please explain.

Reply #608154 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

There is no rule, that's what this is about.

Reply #608157 | Report this post

FreeThrows  
Years ago

Having been at the game, and being a Taipans supporter, I have to say I would be very surprised if the Snakes were to have come back and won that game. The momentum was against us, and we weren't making good decisions.

I'm disappointed, but I think the outcome is the only one that is viable.

Reply #608161 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

re-Boti....

Reply #608210 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Yeah the rational part of my mind is with you Freethrows, but in a week that saw Trump elected as the most powerful man in the world..... ANNNNYYYYYYTHING IS POSSSSSIIIBBBLLLEEEEEEEEEEEE

But i'm not crying myself to sleep about the result. I still think, at the very least, the for and against isn't counted and it's considered a draw for the sack of the series.

Reply #608230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look at the by laws for the league. over 50% of game played scores stand.

Reply #608253 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

ummmmmm those by-laws don't exist.......

#MakeAnonsGreatAgain

Reply #608264 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

re-Boti....again

Reply #608342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what does it mean when you just write re-boti? idgi

Reply #608343 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

At the very least, regional teams with crap venues should now all each get 4 big flood lights run by generators as backups from now on to light up the court.

Scores, stats and time to be manually done, I'm sure a smaller backup scoreboard run by batteries or again a generator can do.

Players will have be mindful of the shot clock on the smaller scoreboard.

Probably no broadcast but as long as the games finishes and the fans get to witness it, all good.

Just too many variables if power cuts out again in a close game and endless debate.

A players union and NBL to work out the agreed rules so no more debate on how the decision is made in future cases.

Reply #608347 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

The game should be decided from a game of nba2k played by the head coaches

Reply #608350 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Even better.

But gotta get that NBL 2KMOD updated to work on the latest NBA2K.

Reply #608351 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Reply #608352 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

I still can't believe the Cairns Convention Centre doesn't have a back-up generator just for that type of situation. It's not as if storms are a rare occurrence in the Far North. It shouldn't be difficult to have a back-up power supply that could power all of the required functions for playing and broadcasting the game, as well as getting people out of the building safely.

Reply #608354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So when was the last time a similar situation occurred?

Reply #608362 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Freethrows, they're on the hospital grid and it's the first time they've lost power out of a cyclone. A generator to power a stadium of that size if shy of $500k. I'd be surprised if any venue in the NBL had anything more than a generator to run emergency lights/doors

Reply #608382 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:43 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754