Anonymous
Years ago

NBL Referees

When a coach acts out, he gets penalised and even fined. So when a paid referee blatantly doesn't do his job, backed up by TV footage - what happens...absolutely nothing. Such a poor effort from the refs in the Hawks vs 36ers game today.

The ref should be reprimanded and not given anymore games for that poor effort. The problem is FIBA does nothing that warrants bad refing and everyone knows it. Joey Wright got fined $2,500 and publicly called out on it for poor behaviour - so what about a ref that shows possible factors of not calling an unsportsmanlike foul as a game changer...hmmm. There are plenty of refs looking for the opportunity to Ref NBL.

Sad day for you FIBA!

Topic #40909 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aylen needs to be suspended for that shocker.

Reply #626678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Im going to hazard a guess that you are a sixers fan?

Reply #626682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was second anon - and a Cats fan.

Reply #626683 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Jacobsen wasn't it?

Say, for argument's sake, he makes one of two at the line (although he has been shooting the eye out of it lately). 3-point game, Sixers ball. They get two and it's a one-point game with half a dozen possessions left in the game. How the game changes if Aylen just did his job.

Reply #626684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aylen has outed himself. d-o-d-g-y

Reply #626685 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Apart from the howler USF non call the reffs was pretty good setting the bar and being reasonably consistent.

Sure they called a foul when Rotnei probably flopped on that three but equally missed Sobey flopping similarly after a flop warning had been given earlier.

Made for a great open game compared to the wrestling matches we have seen in previous seasons.

Reply #626686 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

were pretty good..

Reply #626689 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The refs get taken off games for a four-week block if not performing.

Year after year in Australia, in multiple sports, fans bitch about the umpiring/reffing. There is more talk about that than the players. It's pathetic.

Reply #626690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually I'm not a big "Team" fan...I've always been a neutral person and enjoy analysis the ref side of the game. It saddens me that the refs were such a huge disappointment.

But the question is - coaches makes comments and they get fined. At what point of time does a paid referee are made accountable for their actions on the court - or in this case non-action.

Doesn't matter who wins or loses, but an unsportsmanlike foul can be a game changer. It wasn't called. FIBA care to comments LOL

Reply #626693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes paul but that was such an obvious call. TACKLING LEGS now? Pathetic and fishy. Something $tink$

Reply #626694 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

the fact that the foot of the leg that was grabbed had been placed down ( it seems) right in the join of AJ's crotch, possibly even towing his alleged man bits , could give AJ some sort of defense for the contact, but that argument would be stronger if he had just tried to fend it away from his crotch/groin when /if it got listed up, instead he seemed to actually grab it towards him.

By the way i don't think the foot was intentionally placed there, there did not really seem anywhere else the foot could come down.

Aylen still should have called at least a foul on that basis, if not an unsportsman like. VERY hard to argue that AJ was trying to protect either himself or both of them.

Reply #626696 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Looks like Aylen was watching the ball, and by the time he turned to see the incident he would have had no basis for calling a tech based purely on what he had seen.
The other ref ... not so sure he has an excuse.

Reply #626698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beattie was it?

NBL ref dodginess has now jumped the shark.

Reply #626701 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Paul, what's the Fiba rule with regard to video reviews on plays?

Can they call a common foul then review it and change it, or call an unsportsmanlike foul then review it and change it?

Is any of that possible? Obviously it is in the NBA

Reply #626707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL refs never go to video replays on the really dodgy calls. How convenient.

Reply #626708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone call in the NSW fraud squad.

Reply #626709 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

You want the NSW government to investigate a case of fraud?

Gold.

Reply #626712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But it's not just NBL...refing, at the higher standards is getting worse and worse. I think they like to call flopping warnings cause they like the call. If there is any contact you can't warn on a flop. If it's an ankle break or simply a misstep and trip over your own feet - you can't call it.

Too many refs - THAT ARE PAID - aren't doing a good job. Yes they are human but when they are getting paid more and only refing one game they need to either step up to the plate and do a good job or go back to small time games.

Reply #626716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if there wasn't a trail behind Aylen. If here wasn't he should be dropped. He didn't make the Olympics last year and that would be a good reason he doesn't make it again ;)
Who ever missed that should be sacked.
If there was no trail and as Paul said he was watching the ball he was too far ahead of the play. Hence my suggestion that Aylen wasn't the trail. If he was bye.

Reply #626719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tounge in cheek Manu.

Reply #626721 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

Beattie is quite possibly the worst in the league. Calls the softest fouls, makes blatant mistakes and when someone says something to him he gets an eye in against them. How he has lasted this long is a joke.

Reply #626722 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

AJ has to get a minimum two games here. Out of all the decision before the match review this season, they have looked at the in game punishment.

AJ has tripped a player, and got a personal foul that became a side ball. No punishment at all. Tripping sits higher on the penalty list then accidental bumps to the head. 2 games automatics minimum.

As for who saw what, Aylen eyes on the incident

Reply #626723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu you criticsed others for not getting your ACL dig but cant get the fraud squad comment.

Gold.

Reply #626724 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Good joke, anon.

Hey Paul, still there?

Reply #626728 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Beattie worst ref in the NBL by a country mile!

Reply #626731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu :)

paul is taking a rest, needs to come up with excuses for the inexcusable #NBLHeadofPropaganda

Reply #626732 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Manu, under FIBA rules no, but the NBL stated last year refs could review any call in the last two minutes. Koberulz thinks that was clarified afterwards, but neither of us could find official statement either way.

So in short, I'm not sure in relation to NBL games!

Reply #626737 | Report this post

NotRight  
Years ago

It is not the first time Aylen has blatantly stuffed up a call in a final. Watch Anstey throw the shoulder into Carter in an obvious illegal screen but Aylen freezes up as normal and calls nothing which then leads to the fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0oT4Oc6ShU

I can understand referees getting calls wrong but when it is blatantly obvious yet the referee doesn't want to make the correct call because they don't want to upset the home crowd is absolute bs!

Reply #626744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL refs seem to want to please and get applause from home fans every game. We aren't there to watch you, you narcissists!

Reply #626747 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Thanks for that Paul.

I have $20k on Adelaide to win the Championship so I'm obviously partisan, but even if I were neutral I'd be pissed at the league for letting this happen.

Reply #626749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With $20k on the line it must suck watching the Cats get an easy ride to the GF due to the insipid Taipans.

Reply #626750 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha it really is...

Reply #626751 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Adelaide straight up wins the 'ship if Cairns makes it through.

They're no match for Randle.

Reply #626752 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Manu, you should be mad at the 36ers, they didn't step up when it mattered today after three impressive quarters of hanging tough when things weren't going their way.

At the start of this series I tipped Illawarra in three, but I haven't liked their lack of mental toughness at times, so I think your bet is still looking OK for now.

Reply #626754 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Oh no doubt Paul. As I said on the game thread, Johnston's poor defensive effort (he got dragged a couple times from memory for just terrible effort), and Randle's selfishness cost them the game. But that doesn't take away from my disappointment in the refs.

Reply #626756 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Why does auto correct do me like that?

Johnson*

Reply #626757 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

They had Illawarra hogtied for the bulk of that last quarter, then from memory Rotnei hit a 3 and the game sped up again.

Don't know if it was the coaching or Adelaide's lack of game awareness, but they played dumb basketball.

And man, how long does it take to realise Illawarra's press break was winning them the game in that first half?

Reply #626759 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Hogtied for the bulk of the third*

Reply #626761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul they couldn't step up... they were too busy being pulled down.

Reply #626762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #626763 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Badum-tsh

Reply #626764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beattie in the trail called the foul. Aylen administered a flop warning on the initial play off the Jacobson pass

Reply #626766 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

So Aylen warned Ogilvy for flopping? It was a pretty embarrassing flop too.

Reply #626767 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Allen and Beatie both signalled the foul.

What is worse, Beatie at the end of the next play phase, stops the ball being inbounded to warn Joey and then voice his warning to the whole court.

Call the correct call, you don't have a bench going mad. Call the wrong call, you get the game going so you can move on

Reply #626775 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Can we please stop blaming the refs already. Yes there have been calls all year but what can you do.

Reply #626779 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Obviously the refs aren't to blame for the 36ers loss, I think anyone who watched the game saw the Hawks were better and Adelaide didn't grab chances which they should have. The way this game was called, I don't really have gripes for the way the game was ref'd apart from the notable minor exception below (which isn't to be used as an excuse for a deserved 36ers loss).

That Ogilvy bringing Jacobsen down by the leg appeared to be, as Luuuc? said in another thread, sheer incompetency to the point of being bizarre.

It doesn't appear to be a "missed call/didn't see it" so much as a fundamental lack of logic in deciding what to do in the situation. The ref might have to take an early holiday.

The unfortunate aspect is the context of the game, closeness and momentum. The failure to do the right thing deprived us of whatever the story line was to be.

Reply #626784 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Train, the attention will stop being on the refs once they achieve a level of competence which will allow the average fan to excuse the odd shocking call. All year they have proved incapable of that.

The flop call needs to go. Refs are not up to it. Make it a post game review fine, with suspensions for 3+ repeat offenders,

Reply #626789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just imagine if this thread was started after a Perth loss... or by Dazz...

Get over it. The AJ call was really bad the rest was consistently bad, all you can ask for.

I guess when you get to the top of the ladder on the back of a +10 ft attempts per game differential you just get used to it, a bit like cats fans and their "home cooking"

Reply #626791 | Report this post

Bull  
Years ago

Well said XY on the flop calls. Refs not up to adjudicating on this atm. The serial floppers would get their penalty.
If AJ did not grab a leg, would he have had his nuts crushed by a size 15 or would he have had a leg raked over his face? I haven't seen it in slo mo but i thought Jacobson could have put his foot elsewhere.

Reply #626794 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree re flop calls, just let refs focus on charge/block and announce flop warnings publicly later on like the NBA did. Much more embarrassing for the player involved, less chance for a mistake to influence the game and less for refs to think about.

Reply #626796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How predictable. Sixers lose and we get a thread about the refs. What's Next? Joey will claim that the ref once burned a cross out the front of his house?

Reply #626797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hit our free throws plus AJ gets called USF we win.

Reply #626798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So there was a trail ref? Hard to discern the BS from the idiots who get distracted. Trail to blame if there was I said earlier.

Reply #626802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah two refs Beattie and Aylen trailing. So incompetent.

Reply #626803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#803....who was trailing?

Reply #626806 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Agree re flop calls, just let refs focus on charge/block and announce flop warnings publicly later on like the NBA did. Much more embarrassing for the player involved
I'm not sure, given the NBL's definition of 'public', that would have much effect.

Reply #626808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Found this comment left in the Game 1 report article on The Advertiser website:

"Diane

As usual, NBL (like the AFL) do not want SA bums on the seats for finals.

That is the reason why my mate of many years ago resigned from the NBL panel.

"Who is to win and by how much" was the instructions."

Reply #626814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Link for the above:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-one-win-from-nbl-grand-final-after-dominant-game-one-win-over-illawarra/news-story/7f4c8c81963c962a6006cd4f25943349

Reply #626823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is that supposed to prove? A readers comment on a news website is not a credible source for anything.

Reply #626829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But it was made after a win (Game 1). and not your typical rigged blablabla whine but actually talks about the panel.

Reply #626831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So?

Reply #626835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's food for thought

Reply #626836 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Boti had a fair bit to say about the refs and the leg grab but not a word in the Illawarra Mercury. What a surprise.
Pretty sure the NBL will be happy there is an extra game!

Reply #626868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So was there a trail ref or not. If so, not Aylen's problem. If there was cya Michael.

Reply #626870 | Report this post

On the replay it definitely shows Aylen watching the ball and only turning as Jacobsen starts to fall. Hard to call an immediate USF given how they're always tangling up. Should have had a review of it though.

And if anyone who watched last nights game can tell me what is going to be a blocking foul and what is going to be a charge they're lying. Blokes literally jumping in front of someone on the drive and drawing a charge is a joke, and it was being paid both ways.

Reply #626881 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Terrible call on the USF.
It only evens things after the 31 foul stitch up in game 1.
Let's hope the players can decide game 3?

As for someone having $20K on Adelaide(proven championship winners that they are),well your either full of it,or the kitchen show pays you too much!

Reply #626903 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Maybe Boti will move on from the Matt Knight charge call and bring up the AJ leg grab any time Adelaide has a close loss!

Reply #626910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti will talk about whatever Joey tells him to!

Reply #626912 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Pete and myself actually went halvsies on the $20k. The show pays less than you think

Reply #626925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your show always gives the WA contestants the lowest scores. East coast bias the same as like everyone hates the Wildcats!!11

Reply #626956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Compare and contrast the AJ leg grab with college basketball leg grab involving Duke's Grayson Allen. Instant USF called by refs.

Then Allen was ridiculed by the press. Followed by self-suspension by his coach (Coach K).

But in the amateur NBL it's not even a USF. No suspension either, and no way his coach suspends him because there are no morals in NBL and why bother trying to re-train a player if he got away with it, right?

Reply #626966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #966 you do realise that was Grayson Allen's 3rd tripping incident he had been involved in hence why Duke suspended him! Just slightly different circumstances to Ogilvy

Reply #626980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Anon #980. Ogilvy has also had other grub moments in the past.

Reply #627020 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Yeah all the talk about the Aj tackle but put yourself in Aj position and what will you do if someone is going over you.It should be a tech but how about Sobey getting a flop warning when going for a three near the Hawks bench then does the biggest flop of the year when Rotnei was going to the basket(could of been last QRT) and no call.I swear Sobey ended up at least four metres from the first contact.It was either a charge which it wasn't or a flop which it should have been.

Reply #627520 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:55 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754