Shano76
Years ago

Jameel McKay

According to Boti, Perth are going to beat Adelaide to signing him. Big blow to the 6ers as he would've been a great fit. Also makes the Cats tougher again.

Topic #41976 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Makes you wanna dislike Perth even more

Reply #651389 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Perth the home of the " we don't cut players" mantra

Reply #651390 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

When has Perth ever said "we don't cut players?" Sounds more like a Cairns thing

Reply #651393 | Report this post

Nutsy  
Years ago

Assuming they cut Cooke if McKay comes in?? Why don't the Sixers get him?

Reply #651395 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Sixers have had their chance, but they went with Wiggins first, so what's the problem?

As for "we don't cut players", they're the leading team (Kings have more turnover, but I think it would be split between injury and performance-based reasons) that do that, so it would be Kings-level foolish to suggest that they don't...

Reply #651397 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Sounds like a money war with Perth always going to win that battle.

I think McKay would be of less use in Perth this season with Brandt, Walker and Knight. Unless Knight continues to miss games due to injury.

In my bias opinion it would be better for him to sign for the Sixers for his career sake. He will either shine for the Sixers or will be a role player. In Perth he will always be just a role player.

Reply #651398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sounds like a money war with Perth always going to win that battle. "

If the money was even (we dont even know about the money anyway) he'd still pick Perth over Adelaide.

Reply #651399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

even though Gleeson's a flog?

Reply #651400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey is a bigger flog

Reply #651401 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The decision to replace Roberts with Wiggins instead of McKay initially because he was cheaper is coming back to bite us yet again. I can't believe how silly we've been with import signings this season.

We're saving a lot of money on not having to pay Randle this season so stop dicking around. If McKay is gone just pony up and sign Warrick instead of going down the penny pinching no name import route again.

Reply #651403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warrick is better anyway. He'd be a great get IMO.

Reply #651404 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Warrick has probably been sitting on the couch eating pringles. So no he would not be better at this stage.

"The decision to replace Roberts with Wiggins instead of McKay initially because he was cheaper is coming back to bite us yet again."

No it's not as we don't know what Wiggins would have given us.

"I can't believe how silly we've been with import signings this season."

We have two quality imports (whether you think so or not). We let one go because he wasn't the right culture fit for the team and in our instance it takes some time to determine. Another one we never got to see what he would be like. I don't see silly in any of that.

"We're saving a lot of money on not having to pay Randle this season"

Based on what? Sobey got a well deserved raise. Some other players got raises. A sponsor paid a good portion of Randle's salary I believe which we probably don't have this season. So the reality is there is no huge saving of money.

Reply #651405 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think the bigger issues for the 36ers at the moment are Sobey & DJ aren't performing consistently to what was expected and Hodgson, well, he's not performing at all let alone at the improvement that was expected from him.

Reply #651407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does a thread about a Wildcats player have to turn in to another Sixers thread?

Reply #651408 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Umm, because he's been mentioned in relation to possibly signing with teh 36ers as well?

Also, have you been to Hoops before? lol...

Reply #651410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmm why are Sixers so widely spoken about on Hoops SA *scratches head*

Reply #651414 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Warrick has probably been sitting on the couch eating pringles. So no he would not be better at this stage.

You don't know that he just played in Puerto Rico during the offseason, stop being a happy clapper.

No it's not as we don't know what Wiggins would have given us.

Yes it is. He was completely out of his depth on Saturday night, shot 1-7 from the field along with the ignominy of having his first two shots blocked. And now he's injured anyway.

I don't see silly in any of that.

No surprise because you're a happy clapper. Shorter although decent isn't a PG obviously, Moore is a decent role player nothing more and the Roberts/Wiggins signings have been amateur hour stuff.

Based on what? Sobey got a well deserved raise. Some other players got raises. A sponsor paid a good portion of Randle's salary I believe which we probably don't have this season. So the reality is there is no huge saving of money.

Um, facts? Yes, Sobey got a raise and Hodgson would've got a slight one too no one else unless you think other teams were knocking down the door of Adam Doyle which they would've run for the hills when they saw we were giving him a 3 year deal anyway. Sponsors always contribute to playing players salaries year in year out so no excuse.

Reply #651418 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Love the banter between Perth and Adelaide fans.
Wouldn't mind McKay back at Perth but would be good to see him get a go in Adelaide.

Reply #651419 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

It is a post about Jameel McKay. Last I heard he plays for neither Adelaide or Perth.

Reply #651422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

coolcoolcoolcoolcool

Reply #651425 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

McKay still claims to be a professional bball player for Perth in Australia.

He also loves a good cryptic tweet, but not as much as the attention they garner it seems

Reply #651429 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

^ this! Reading his tweets is torturous. Still hope he signs with 6ers but Perth look more likely.

Reply #651431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus Christ, he's like a teenage girl!

Reply #651432 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Based on his twitter account I can't see him and Joey getting along. Probably explains his other social media posts as well.

Reply #651435 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The talk from Perth from what I have been to date has been positive of Cooke. It's been he will improve, he will get more minutes.

But as some say, Perth can be ruthless and probably more so with more on the line this year than most.

Reply #651439 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

Gleeson positive about Cooke again, he's not going anywhere. No word on McKay or what he's doing.

Reinforced that everyone else is playing well so its hard to find time for Cooke. His time will come.

Reply #651441 | Report this post

Tickle me Cosby  
Years ago

Warrick also played in the Big 3 over the off season.

Let Perth have McKay he was average and the Sixers need better than average to compete with Perth and United.

I think the only reason people are for McKay is because we know we won't spend much and people view him as the best available on a tight budget.

Reply #651444 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think the only reason people are for McKay is because we know we won't spend much and people view him as the best available on a tight budget.

According to Boti the reason we backed away from Warrick and McKay the first time around and went with Wiggins is because they were both out of our price range.

Reply #651446 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"According to Boti the reason we backed away from Warrick and McKay the first time around and went with Wiggins is because they were both out of our price range."

Where did Boti say that?

Reply #651452 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

On his blog and no I won't be combing through his posts to find it for you either.

Reply #651455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Makes you wanna dislike Perth even more" Fantastic.

Reply #651457 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"On his blog and no I won't be combing through his posts to find it for you either."

More like because Boti never said that.

Reply #651458 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The search for the 36ers' new big man import already is underway, though Wright today ruled out Perth Wildcats championship centre Jameel McKay as a possibility, citing financial restrictions.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/roberts-randle-and-the-r-and-r/

Wright said media speculation regarding possibly bringing in past NBL imports such as Hakim Warrick and/or Jameel McKay were "way off the mark".

"That was never happening," he said.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/kc-key-in-new-36ers-import-signing/

Now go play in traffic troll.

Reply #651470 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If they can't afford McKay who with all due respect is a role playing import who can they afford?

Reply #651492 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I find it shocking that Hakim Warrick is asking that much.

Or is it that the Sixers max is that low?

Reply #651498 | Report this post

Tickle me Cosby  
Years ago

My guess is the new owner is a real tight arse. I think Joey's hands would be tied and would love to bring in someone half decent but is not allowed to.

I thought this new owner we have is supposed to be very very well off, why such a tight arse with the team?

Reply #651541 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

My guess is that McKay is asking for a multi-million dollar deal for the rest of the season. Adelaide would love to have him but can't afford it.

He's really just a role player though, why is his asking price so high?

Reply #651542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide continue the long line of having a poor man's owner.

Reply #651545 | Report this post

Bretts The Man  
Years ago

While they stuff around the season turning over and lucky playing Kings Sat.

Reply #651549 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Koberulz, what makes you think McKay would be asking for a multi-million dollar contract? Surely not even Perth would pay that for him!

Reply #651553 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

McKay Tweeted this morning that he's "leaving the country"

Reply #651630 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

He also tweeted he's going to Chicago.

Reply #651633 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Koberulz, what makes you think McKay would be asking for a multi-million dollar contract? Surely not even Perth would pay that for him!
The same thing that makes Tickle Me Cosby think the Adelaide owner is being unreasonably financially restrictive.

Reply #651634 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Well however much he wants it seems to be too much for the Sixers. I'll be pretty disappointed if the new owner forces Joey to get another budget import. The Sixers have a very good Aussie core and it will go to waste if we don't get a guy who can give us some good rebounding and defence when Hodgson is off.

Reply #651690 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

For the record, there's a difference between what the Wildcats can afford to pay for somebody to be a role-player, and what the Sixers could afford for a similar role.

Be interesting if McKay did return. Would dispel a couple of rumours

Reply #651837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"For the record, there's a difference between what the Wildcats can afford to pay for somebody to be a role-player, and what the Sixers could afford for a similar role."

You might need to check your records. Sixers appear to be able to afford quite a bit, with the Childress signing.

Reply #652361 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

They went cheap with Wiggins and then corrected that by spending once Childress got cut by Denver.

Reply #652369 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

So why isn't this guy playing in the NBL?

I know at one point he was playing in Europe, so presumably wanted decent money, especially after winning a ring with Perth.

But why isn't he back now?

Is he hopeful of cracking an NBA gig, is that why he's stayed in the states?

If his price has come down, surely he'd be a good fit for somebody?
Plus I reckon he'd be a good option at Sydney, give them an athletic option.

Wouldn't see him fitting at Perth (except as an injury replacement if the need arises.)

Reply #716550 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What a random thread bump.

Reply #716557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Says the knob who posts far too often and on every thread "Perth world"

Reply #716558 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Reply #716559 | Report this post

Perfwerld  
Years ago

Yes fancy bumping a thread about Jameel McKay playing in the NBL to discuss Jameel McKay playing in the NBL! Besides every thread should be about the refs and how Perf Sucks.

Reply #716560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perf does suck. They signed Mckay for 1 season and won the title but then they opted not to sign him for the next season. That is just one reason why they are a terrible organisation.

Reply #716568 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hardly McKay has bounced around a lot since he left Perth unable to last a season anywhere.

Reply #716598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My understanding was there was some drug paraphernalia + Instagram issues

Reply #716599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perf does suck. They signed Mckay for 1 season and won the title but then they opted not to sign him for the next season. That is just one reason why they are a terrible organisation."

Thanks Corey!

Reply #716603 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:24 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754