Isaac
Years ago

Luol Deng tries to make do trapped in his nowhere land

Before every Lakers game at Staples Center this season, Luol Deng shows up on time, sits in front of his corner locker, talks strategy, tells jokes, full of life, the picture of health, preparing as if he is going to play.

But he won't play. He won't sit on the bench. He won't even step on the court. The uniform that hangs crisply and tauntingly in his locker will remain untouched; he instead wears the baggy sweats of one who never leaves the house.

When the Lakers run out for the game, their Nowhere Man retires to a training room to pretend.
Doesn't fit their rebuild. Contract too awkward to trade. Too expensive to buy-out.

Full story

Topic #42703 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

We would all take his space pretending to play for that amount of money. Not right what their doing to him, but he is set for life.

Cant compare his story to misery of millions suffering on this earth.

Reply #672478 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I do feel for him a bit. A 'benefactor' or 'victim' of the NBA cap spike depending from what perspective you look at it. One of the nice guys in the NBA, but at least the money he earns will help him post-bball where I know he does a lot of good work.

Reply #672498 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Some of this is within his control.

If he agreed to a smaller buyout amount, as many others have done, he could go onto another team perhaps even a contender and make a meaningful contribution.

If he just wants to sit and make 8 figures, there is nothing wrong with that either.

Reply #672509 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's a weird situation, but not completely.
He has a choice between making them stick to the letter of his contract, or accepting a practical alternative that would allow him to play.

And for its worth, I think Magic is correct. End of the day, the problem is that nobody else wants him at that salary.

Reply #672542 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Never one to feel sorry for a bloke making that sort of cash when he can easily walk away from it at anytime by negotiating a buy out event thou the situation isn't his fault.

Obviously i don't feel sorry for the Lakers as they are putting him in this position after making a large offer and now being stuck with him getting paid way overs.

It looks like he lakers want to force his hand into seeking a reduced buy-out so they can get out from under the contract...If LBJ/PG13 come he could actually be a handy role player who is valuable in small line ups.

Reply #672550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't have a point of view
Knows not where he's going to
Isn't he a bit like you and me?

Reply #672554 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:28 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754