Hogwash
Years ago

Patrick Bines to AFL

Another promising youngster Patrick Bines 198cm is being touted as a potential category B rookie with the West Coast Eagles.

Topic #43708 | Report this topic

Cram  
Years ago

He played with the Tigers in SEABL this season, but I'll be honest - I didn't notice him in the one game I got to, but that was largely because Tom Wilson scored 40.

Reply #699336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was a very good junior. Not small for position, either. I would have thought he could play NBL for sure but never know if it'll go beyond that until they start hitting those higher levels

Reply #699363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on him......not sure he will have the speed for AFL....but good on him for having a crack.

Reply #699370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These defections point to our biggest weakness right now, we have a huge influx of junior talent coming into a huge bottle neck at the top where we only have 8 teams. With one of those not offering many spots to aussies for geographical reasons.

Reply #699371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it wasnt the game where the Tigers lost by 60 then ;)

Reply #699373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

decent junior....but he isnt anywhere near NBL standard.

Reply #699380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ I understand that as a 19-year-old, he may not be anywhere near NBL standard, but most eventual NBL players are not pros at 19. Two years ago he was an Aus junior rep and u18 Nationals standout, so to suggest he never had NBL potential is also inaccurate.

There are players who are no real loss to basketball, like the talking up of Nick Kyrgios' junior career. He never made an ACT state team, so I'm guessing his choice to pursue tennis wasn't really a surprise or disappointment to his basketball coaches. But there are plenty of others who really did have hoops potential. In the last 12 months, we've lost at least 3 kids who've played for Aus at junior level - Dent, Jackson and Bines. A lot of resources go into those kids, so it would be nice if we lost them because they weren't good enough rather than because there were better opportunities in other sports.

Reply #699381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Fullarton as well

Reply #699384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont think it matters.......hope he does well at AFL, and at least he (and the others mentioned) are still playing sport. Plenty of kids coming through the pipelines and also back from college.

Reply #699385 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Bines, along with Brodie Riach, were delisted after a season with the Eagles. Both struggled to even get a game with the WAFL team.

According to the footy stats, Bines came in at 196cm and 92.

At that size he needs to be able to play as a Key Position Forward, and you'd still expect him to bulk up a bit over time. Josh Kennedy would be about the same height but over the 100kg mark.

Thing is that's a highly skilled position, in terms reading the ball, marking, and kicking. Not skills you would develop playing Basketball

I would think maybe somebody in the 200cm plus category, with a decent leap, could potentially make the transition to an AFL ruckman?

Reply #765465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

needed to take more drugs to get a run with the west coke eagles

Reply #765471 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:37 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754