Isaac
Years ago

Majok Deng signs with Cairns

Topic #45072 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

I wonder whether Sam Froling will sign there too?

Reply #740427 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Take the emotion out of it and this is actually good for the 36ers.

He was a 1 trick pony offensively and offered nothing defensively.

Reply #740428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as a starter

Reply #740430 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

That will be an interesting journey, I wonder how he will go with Kelly and with being expected to do many things perhaps a little more consistently ?

Reply #740431 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Well we are running out of talent pretty quick. This management is trash, can't really think of one thing they have done that I think is a real positive so far, Wiley I guess to be fair.

Reply #740432 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Good signing!

Reply #740433 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could be good for both Deng and Adelaide?

Interested to see how he'll go with more minutes.

Reply #740434 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Called it

Reply #740435 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

We've got to rebound tho, so start him at 3, get Moller as a back-up, with Kuany there as 11th man.

Import PG
Newbill (I'm happy with him)
Deng
Import 4/5 who can rebound
Jawai

Reply #740436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would live to see Deng play SF

Reply #740438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng can't defend the three or four for that matter, offensively good individually but I see a lot work here for coach Kelly. Can’t see Moller playing behind Deng either.

Reply #740439 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Good for Deng probably wasn't going to get more opportunity in Adelaide.
Will be interesting to see what Adelaide do next I can't imagine it's a desirable location for free agents.

Reply #740441 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Best non-import signing Cairns have made in years.

Reply #740443 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Joshuapending...I think the signing of Wiley was a mistake but not as much as taking up the option for Moore.

Wiley is inconsistent and consistently gets lost on defense. However, he does have plenty of upside, works hard, plays hard and with plenty of passion. And, this season appears to be a lost one before it has even started anyway so may as well use it as a developmental one and determine whether or not it is worth offering him a new contract the following season.

I like Moore but we needed more out of his spot as an import with Sobey leaving.

Hope I am wrong on all accounts though and the 36ers have a great year!

Reply #740444 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Imports can be let go early for minimal financial loss, so if something better comes along its still possible Moore or Wiley could be let go? But if nothing does at least they have some known quantities signed.

It's more concerning that the 6ers need to fill the team with Aussies and there really aren't that many floating around, that would be too interested in coming to Adelaide?

It is definitely starting to feel like the wheels are falling off... Or have fallen off.

Reply #740445 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Joshuapending...I think the signing of Wiley was a mistake but not as much as taking up the option for Moore.
Other way around for me. That said, Wiley is a perfect import for a lost season - constantly entertaining.

But the thing about lost seasons is I was expecting one last season and they were on the cusp of finals, and the teams that beat them in were smacked around in the semis. So who knows what they could manage.

Reply #740446 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'm just hoping Teys can lure his old mate back...

Reply #740448 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Majok is a great offensive player, but he's another guy who gets exposed badly on the defensive end. If he's a starter expect some big time offensive scores from opposition teams, unless they can fill the gaps with defence minded guys.

Reply #740450 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Tornado, do you really think Motum wants anything to do with this?

Reply #740454 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

On Deng as much as it sucks to lose him I'm actually kind of happy for him. He went from playing a good role on a GF team to a diminished role on a non-playoff team last season and there was probably no reason to think anything would change here next season. If anything he probably ran the risk of his role being further diminished and his stock would likely be too low to get another good NBL contract again.

In Cairns he gets a fresh opportunity on a struggling Taipans team to impress Kelly and even if the coach is let go at the end of the season signing a multi-year contract gives him the opportunity to impress the next coach too. He would be hoping by then to have risen his stock enough to get a big contract from his next team.

Reply #740457 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Zodiac, no, hence why I said "hoping"...

Reply #740468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sounds like Rob loe wants out of Cairns

Reply #740469 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Imports can be let go early for minimal financial loss, so if something better comes along its still possible Moore or Wiley could be let go?
That only applies to new imports, not re-signings.

Reply #740477 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

That only applies to new imports, not re-signings.

Cheers. One bit of fuckery I was not aware of...

Reply #740480 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I agree, it's probably a good move for Deng. I would like to have seen the Sixers retain him though. He has his flaws, but I think there is still untapped potential there. I could see him becoming a dangerous scorer in time if he is given the minutes and the touches. He’ll probably drop 30 points on the Sixers next season, just to rub some salt into the wound.

Sixers need to pull their fingers out now and sign Bairstow if they can. He’d make up for the loss of Deng. Other than that, there is slim pickings.

Reply #740487 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Read that Rob Loe is looking to go back home to New Zealand, and one of Boti's articles stated that Kyle Adnam could be in orange next season, re-uniting with Mike Kelly? Also, what are the chances someone like Cairns sign's Bairstow?

Reply #740505 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Rob Loe is under contract at Cairns next season though?

Reply #740511 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Hard to say really. Depends on his role and what he cost.

Cairns have to do things differently, so that means looking for under-utilised talent. So in that sense he fits the bill.
But I thought the issue with Adelaide was Joey ripping into him for not being consistent enough? If so, how does that translate into a role with more minutes and greater responsibility on a weaker team??

I said Cairns needed to look to unearth young talent, rather than recycling cast-offs. I just don't know which bucket Deng fits in?

Joey has a strong record of developing talent, and Deng fit his style of play.

Reply #740513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What money would cam would

Reply #740516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pre injury Bairstow would have been on major coin. Maybe the reason why Brisbane didn't want him back is because he thinks he is still worth more than they were offering. Should take a 1 year make good deal, re establish his career and then get better contract elsewhere or in Europe.

Reply #740519 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Judging by Aussie Hoopla's FA Tracker (Idk how much of a reliable source it is)

Carins is most likely looking like

PG - Import/Kenny/Adnam
SG - Newbill/Kuanny
SF - Import/DKD
PF - Moller/Deng
C - Jawai/Loe/Froling

Worth Noting
- Loe May exit contract and return to New Zealand
- Jawai and Kuanny are expected to re-sign
- Newbill, Moller, Adnam and DKD are in discussions with Cairns
- Froling could sign as it is close to Townsville

Any other FA's that would be a good fit in CNS?

Reply #740521 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

*Cairns

Reply #740522 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Rob Loe has been released from his contract, returning to NZ for family reasons. Damn.

Reply #740523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think deng would want to come off the bench, Moller at the three makes more sense. At least Cairns looking like they’re having a crack if the rumours are true.

Reply #740525 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Reckon Moller and Deng could split minutes equally at the 4? Definitely more than what they both would be getting at their previous clubs.

Reply #740528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns better chasing imports 1,5 and Newbill in the two.
Import Jawai
Deng krislovic
Moller kauny
Newbill Jurlina
Import Adnam

Reply #740532 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

^^
Perhaps the worst team in NBL history. Cairns will and need to much better than that.

Reply #740540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think they would handle a Marty Clarke led team pretty easily

Reply #740541 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Called it

You also called the Bullets would beat the Wildcats in the Semis and then go on to win the Championship.

Reply #740546 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I think Deng is still a significant loss.

Yeah he has his deficiencies but so do 95% of players in this league.

He needed more playing time thats fine but who are we going to get or who is going to step up? McVeigh?

Also losing Sobey, Deng and potentially Froling means more new faces that need to learn the system.

Reply #740548 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Lovebroker, I was talking about season 2019/20

Reply #740555 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

MKR, Cmon mate Kuany will never be seen in the NBL again!

Reply #740587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man I can't believe that people rate Adnam. Limited game, streaky shooter who can't play a lick of D. Small too.

Reply #740589 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:21 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754