Interesting signing.

Topic #45155 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Jervis and Randle combination will be a game changer

Reply #742386 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Further proof of the importance of Cairns and Illawarra to the league, to develop young players for the rich clubs as well as being a dumping ground for players after no one else wants them.

Reply #742387 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

This is strange he left the Wildcats (who wanted him) to be with his family (who are in Melbourne). Yet he signs with Cairns.

Winning championships must be boring and he wants to even outbhis cabinet with another spoon.

Reply #742390 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Another ex wildcat to Cairns.
Hoped he would get another chance and with family in Brisbane the distance isn't as bad.

Reply #742391 | Report this post

Wendy Byrd  
Years ago

Will he be the starting centre or the back-up?

Reply #742393 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

So Melb Boy and Lovebroker, you think putting Cairns down makes you heroes?
The salary cap is gone thanks to LK,& his team benefits.
Bullying the little teams makes you feel like real men does it?

You're sad & pathetic, but you already know that!

Reply #742406 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Thunder Jam....I do not aim to be a hero. My observation is backed up by facts. Where did Jervis' team finish? Where did Cairns finish?

Whats pathetic is your understanding of the NBL. There is still a Salary Cap, but of course you already know that.

You had Nate's salary largely paid for by others. You had one of the best imports of the league on a cheap contract amd you still achieved the spoon. Who is pathetic again?

Reply #742408 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Both of you are right.
Lovebroker's incessant criticisms of Cairns is pathetic. It's not banter or a conversation starter, it's cancer in word form

Reply #742410 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"to be with his family (who are in Melbourne"

When Tommy went to Brisbane, his wife and daughter moved with him.
After a couple of short-term roles, his wife got her career on track landing a plumb role as Senior Counsel with Suncorp.

They also started their own business, selling essential oils & stuff.

That was the issue this season. Tom came back to Perth to play, whilst Jazze stayed in Brisbane with their daughter.

(Interesting to note, that in the GF games when he played best, they had travelled down to watch.)

I don't know anything about them moving to Melbourne? Last I heard Jazze still works for Suncorp in Brissy?

Jervis was still under contract with Brisbane when they invited him to look elsewhere and he returned to Perth. Presumably, one way or the other, he received reasonable money for this season. I would assume that any offer from the Cats for next season was at the lower end.
Given hes only got a year or two left (maybe a bit more with Cairns) it makes sense to prioritise Jazze's career (and being a Dad) at this point.

Cairns is still a ways from Brissy, but its a lot more manageable. Same time zone, a 2hr flight instead of 5 hours, and possibly the flexibility to make it work commuting from Brissy.

As a backup Centre, Tommy still has a lot to offer, and can probably extend his career at Cairns. With the loss of Rob Loe, and Jawai offering limited minutes, (and in a tight FA market) its a good signing for Cairns.

As for Rings & Spoons, he has 3 Rings and only 2 Spoons, so maybe he wants to Balance the set?

The departure of both Gus and Tommy adds fuel to the speculation that Perth is chasing a Gun Centre. Which (with Kay also spending time at the 5) would have reduced Tommy's minutes even further, and probably seen him play at most one more season with the Cats.

Reply #742416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's probably a reasonable pick up for Cairns, only short term gain though, kings got Hunter there is a nz guy Salts I think that Cairns should be be trying to entice on more coin and for a longer time. Try to build something. Get the locals right, pay a bit more and buy smart budget imports like Newbill.

Reply #742417 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Hey Thunder Jam, I'm a Hawks fan, just calling it as it is, and would love a little more equalization tax money to help out.

Reply #742421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Essential oils. Sounds like Tommy's set for life after basketball.

Reply #742440 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Have you seen his wife? "Set for life" is an understatement.

Reply #742522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like they'll be hawking Isagenix soon. It’s a sharp drop down the rabbit hole after essential oils.

Reply #742531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

set for life based on just his wifes appearance? jesus I haven't heard anything that shallow since high school.

Reply #742532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawaii gets forgotten in this conversation. Tossed aside.

Reply #742539 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

This is a Jervis thread.

Reply #742542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah let's concentrate on an outsider taking a loyal players spot. That we must do. Avoid the truth.

Reply #742550 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Jervis is more than likely taking a backup spot (Loe's spot).

Reply #742553 | Report this post

D.  
Years ago

Nate's spot is still open in theory.
Majok can play a role of 4-5 (Loughtons spot), tom jervis is a straight 5 (rob loe's spot).
Depending on what majok is being paid, and if Waxy is resigned, there is plenty of room and money. The sky isn't falling people.

Reply #742581 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"set for life based on just his wifes appearance?"

Umm, I did mention that she's a lawyer with a great career, currently Senior Counsel for Suncorp (so presumably has the brains)

and in addition to a demanding career, being a mother, and a WAG, has started her own business focussed on natural remedies.

Reply #742617 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Yeah let's concentrate on an outsider taking a loyal players spot"

WTF?

How is Loe a "loyal player"? And besides, he wanted to return home to NZ for personal reasons.

Reply #742618 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

and in addition to...being...WAG
First of all, surely the singular of WAG is WOG?

Secondly..."being a WAG" isn't even a thing that someone does with their life. It's just...a thing. It's irrelevant.

Just...just stop.

Reply #742640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""Yeah let's concentrate on an outsider taking a loyal players spot"
Yes the local player being Jawaii, idiot.

Reply #742642 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Plus it's creepy how Dazz knows and posts so much about 'Cats players' personal lives.

Reply #742655 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Yes the local player being Jawaii, idiot."

You're correct, only an idiot would think Jervis is taking Jawai's spot.

Reply #742734 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"First of all, surely the singular of WAG is WOG?"

Actually, I suppose it's WoP.
And it is relevant, because in addition to having a full-time career, being a mum, and running a business, she has to find time to support her husband.

As for being creepy, I only mention this in response to claims that his family was in Melbourne and so he was moving there.

Reply #742735 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:14 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754