Anonymous
Years ago

The Adelaide 36ers thread.

New faces are imports Taylor and Griffin.
Also White, Dillon and Kyei.

They are fighting it out for 7th or 8th in my opinion.

Thoughts..

Topic #45683 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the hopefuls (DP's and future DP's) training with the squad at the moment?

Reply #755419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why didn't they get a next star?

Reply #755423 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Sixers to make the 4.

Won't slip to Brisbane this year

Reply #755428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They decided not to get a Next Star, mostly out of pettiness due to losing out on RJ Hampton and the whole fiasco around Terrence Ferguson's NBA buyout clause which caused significant embarrassment to everyone involved. Strange move because on paper they are the least talented team in the league and they were offered several players that could have been difference makers.

Reply #755434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really FM.

Reply #755435 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

They will be a legit tier 3 team with a massive chip on their shoulder.

Reply #755436 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Do they have enough chip-on-shoulder players left without Creek and Sobey? I guess Drmic is always a hothead and Froling too. DJ is pretty passive though. I couldn't even tell you their imports besides Ramone!

Reply #755444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dp's are Mudronja, Bijan, Harris and Ben Ayre. Training players appear to be Jerami Grace, Nick Marshall and Sapwell.

Reply #755445 | Report this post

B3N  
Years ago

As usual they'll do better than the keyboard warriors on these pages constantly predict.

You would think people on here would know by now that stocking up on big names does not equal success in this league... but you won't find the brightest bunch on hoops.com.au

Reply #755458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On paper the weakest? Lol might wanna look at how weak Cairns and SEM are on paper. Apart from Creek, SEM is full of trash. Veteran throwouts like Madgen, Gibson and Wesley, 2 average imports. Creek has never really even posted big numbers in the NBL!? What makes you think he will now?

Reply #755459 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Madgen and Wesley are veteran throw outs? Ok

Reply #755460 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Do they have enough chip-on-shoulder players left without Creek and Sobey?"

That Bijan kid showed he had a few bags on each shoulder from the bench...

Reply #755461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DP group very underwhelming.

Reply #755469 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

On paper I don't think we are at the level of Sydney, Melbourne and Perth.

Barring some major mishap, those 3 teams should be in the playoffs.

On the balance of probabilities, the other 6 teams are fighting for 1 playoff spot.

I really can't tell who would make it.

I think the Sixers have a decent chance to make the 4. DJ is still good enough to give the opposition bigs trouble on the scoreboard. Ramone Moore is solid import, I expect the same from Griffin, Taylor I don't know enough of.

Sobey is a big loss but we should have Drmic and Moore to cover that. My big hope is Froling will get to the next level, he may even take more of DJ's time.

Having said all that if I try to look at it logically and without bias, I would have to say the Hawks for the 4th place.

Reply #755490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne and Perth are the certainty imo, Sydney with Bogut and Ware plus the aging Lisch, Newley are back with with the next few. Adelaide in same boat as Sydney, in the mix between 3 to 6. A Bogut injury could derail the kings season. Adelaide brought in some defenders which should help with there run and gun style offence.

Reply #755494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My excitement for this club gets less and less each season sadly. I don't know who the imports are or if they will be any good. My overall enjoyment of the NBL is so high but the 6ers are not what they used to be for me.

Doubt they make the playoffs, but the NBL is so hard to pick game to game so who knows.

Reply #755510 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Think the most promising DP is Johnson. Joey says he's the fastest guard in the NBL already. I’ve seen him in action, the kid is good when he has the ball in his hands and will lock down anyone. Not afraid of the challenge. Once he gets a chance I feel like he won’t disappoint. Can’t wait to see him and mudronja play. They’re exciting! Don’t know enough about ayre to comment. Also michael Harris, when he matures, will be promising as well. Reminds me of Gliddon.

Reply #755543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just give the ball to Teys

Reply #755620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Long shot for any of those DP's to play NBL.

Reply #755625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do any of them have intangibles that will help them play NBL? Maybe BJ's speed but his decision making and over dribbling hurts too. I would say they end up like Sam Johns doing 4 years in the system, getting strung along and never hitting the court.

Reply #755651 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Bit early to write them off! Need to see what kind of impact the two new imports have. If Griffin is as advertised then he could play the Childress role next to DJ that was so instrumental in the Sixers grand final appearance two seasons back. If Taylor can genuinely shoot the three and defend at a high level, then he's a much better fit alongside Moore than Sobey.

Two more big questions for me are:
1) The Sixers no longer look like they have the personnel for a high octane brand of basketball. Will they change their style to suit their roster?
2) How will they defend big athletic wings? I like Drmic's hustle and his offensive potential, but he (and the team) struggled to stop the likes of White, TeRangi, etc last season. Can he improve there? Or is there another option for the Sixers? I feel this is a big weakness for them.

If the imports are legit and we get good seasons from Froling and Drmic, then the Sixers are definitely top 4 material. If not, then it could be a really ugly debut season at the Ent Cent!

Reply #755749 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed with that rundown

Reply #755751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJ is far better when he gives the ball off. Can't shoot in PL, NBL will eat him alive.

Reply #755757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide to have another underwhelming season.

Reply #755760 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

BJ can shoot. He's a bit off and on, but who wouldn’t be if starling and mcveigh are combining 65-70 shots a game. Hard to find a rhythm for anyone. I’ve seen the guy at a few practices last year. There were a few where he looked like the best player on the team to be quite honest. Don’t write the kid off. He has a lot of mental growing to do though, but his skills from what I’ve seen are already NBL level easily.

Reply #755770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a fair assessment I think. Definitely talented no doubt about it. Is Joey going to rectify his issues though? He’s been in the system a while and not sure I’ve seen any improvement on the shot selection or over dribbling which is what is probably keeping him off an NBL court right now.

Reply #755771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay. He can shoot. He can't put the pull through the rim though. No idea why he’s taking shots when he has blokes like McVeigh and Starling to give it to.

Reply #755773 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

On Ninenews, last nite - They gonna have a selection panel for the captain.
Used to be players votes.
Ramone Moore's fist day at training, arriving back from overseas.
Point guard, Taylor has been the highlight of training, lighting up the court.

Reply #755795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A selection panel of who?

Reply #755797 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Joey of course, but I don't think they said who else.

Reply #755798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers should go with a new look starting 5... Froling will be more valuable than DJ this year, he is much more athletic and imo has a much higher ceiling.

Taylor
White
Moore
Griffin
Froling

Good defensive guard duo with Taylor and White. Obi comes in to cover some minutes for Griffin and provide energy off the bench, DJ and Froling split minutes. McVeigh and Drmic for White and Moore. DD plays the backup point as does Moore at times and Teys rarely sees more than 1-3 mins a game...hopefully.

Reply #756158 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:22 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754