robt
Years ago

Next Step in Next Stars Program?

Think most of us like the Next Stars scheme but want it improved, somehow. There have been lots of suggestions, most of them wanting more candidates and a fairer way to distribute those candidates.

What if we (the NBL) intro'ed our own draft.

*We hold our draft some time after the NBA's draft.
Not sure at the timing but just consider the idea. Details can always be
worked out.
*We invite any/all who did not get drafted to apply.
We may pick up some hidden stars here who may have something to prove "back
home". With the attention we now get from the US, these candidates may figure
they'll get seen and even reconsidered. There will also be some/plenty of
duds amongst these but they don't have to be drafted.
*We do a DiDi and invite draft-and-stash draftees.
Working well this year!
*We invite all Aussie US college students and home based hopefuls to apply.
Obviously!
*We apply a lower points scale to Aussies than to non-Aussies
ie. If a points system is in the system.
*Eliminate DP's (they can either be signed -by their current club or enter the draft) replace with increase in Next Stars numbers. Extend the roster up to 15 a team to allow for more Next Stars/draftees only (other rules, 3 imports, Melb or Syd must win, etc stay the same).

Put just a few candidates from each of the above "*" points above and you would have, say 15 to 30 applicants for our current 9, 10, 12-team comp into the next couple of years. Hopefully both continue to grow from then on.

Your thoughts?

Topic #46428 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you been watching the afl draft?
Because that's not going to work.

Reply #777318 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

A draft wont work because of the $$$ involved, and I don't think it's the answer - it's not fair to a player to have to settle for whatever Illawarra or Cairns are offering if United is willing to pay more, and it will send more Aussies to Europe if nothing else.

I would like transparency over the Next Stars program at a minimum. I would like preference to the worst performing teams (or ones with the lowest roster spend). Other than that, I'm ok with HS kids or draft-and-stash players as per the current state, I'd just like it on paper so we all know what the rules are.

Reply #777330 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Next Stars should all have to sign up by a specific time, all commit to a day where they get put through a "draft combine" of sorts, have a few scrimmages with every teams recruitment department watching in the building. Teams can put in bids for the players they would like on their roster with precedence given to teams finishing lower on the ladder from the previous season. If you don't bid on any players then move on.

Reply #777344 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Notwithstanding that Drafts are basically illegal in Australia, we're not going to get guys like Didi, Hampton, and Ball, if we impose too many conditions and try to force them to go where they don't want to.

The problem with Next Stars is that it has exceeded the original guidelines, and, if we're prepared to be honest for once, it's Didi.
We don't really care that the two bottom teams have Ball and RJ, but Sydney getting Didi stinks.

I would propose something like the following:

1) Return to 10 man primary squad.
2) As an 11th Man, teams can have a Next-Star, an "Asian Market Player", or simply play an extra DP.
3) Next-Stars broken down as follows:
A) Already drafted, or un-drafted but under a certain age, and the league deems them likely to be drafted next year.
B) Only first eligible for the draft next year, or similar.
C) Young Aussies forgoing College in America to sign on an appropriate program in their home city.
4) The subsidy paid for category A & B would be at the discretion of the league, using funds from the Super Tax.
5) Category A would also count as an import.
6) Category C would be paid for solely by the club. Except clubs receiving subsidy could apply for additional funding.

Reply #777377 | Report this post

No Futures  
Years ago

Obviously, the NBL needs to expand it to 3 per team along with increasing the number of imports to 4 and introducing a rule that every team must have a minimum of 2 players of Sudanese or African American heritage..

..and the white Australian kids can just about give it up completely.

Reply #777378 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

or un-drafted but under a certain age, and the league deems them likely to be drafted next year.
That's not how the draft works.

Reply #777383 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The reason the Draft works in the US is because of money, and also because if you're a basketball player, you're happy to accept almost any taker if you're gonna make the NBA. Top line talents aren't going to feel the same way about the NBL.

"Obviously, the NBL needs to expand it to 3 per team along with increasing the number of imports to 4 and introducing a rule that every team must have a minimum of 2 players of Sudanese or African American heritage..

..and the white Australian kids can just about give it up completely."

LOL. I think the white Australian kids who can actually play basketball will survive quite fine. Brendan Teys is my litmus test. If Brendan Teys is still in the league, we can stand to be a bit more flexible on imports.

The day when potential Boomers future Boomers or future NBL starters can't make the league, I'll say we need to wind things back. Until then I think we just keep working on having the best league we can regardless of where the players come from.

Reply #777413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A next star draft won't work but, an nbl1 draft could work.
Take the best young uncontracted Australian and New Zealand players from the nbl1 season and make a small draft class and let the NBL teams pick from the draft class along the same lines as the nba.

Reply #777493 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"A next star draft won't work but, an nbl1 draft could work.
Take the best young uncontracted Australian and New Zealand players from the nbl1 season and make a small draft class and let the NBL teams pick from the draft class along the same lines as the nba."

I don't know much about NBL1, but would the uncontracted players be NBL standard anyway?

Reply #777497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know much about nbl1 my self but if you’re going to do an NBL draft the nbl1 would be the place to start.
Where do the afl get there young draft stock from?

Reply #777511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns leading the way with its all black starting five.

Reply #777517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^and it is a good way to get more Australian and New Zealand young talent into the NBL.

Reply #777518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Cairns leading the way with its all black starting five.)

Is that a problem for you?
Cairns has Australians in the team and imports just like every other team.

Reply #777536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NZ Rugby Team has an all black starting fifteen. What's the big deal?

Reply #777538 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Strange thing to say, especially when two of those guys are Australian citizens.

Reply #777540 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Reply #777541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #777661 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:48 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754