BeeGee
Years ago

Webster, Trist, Galloway Sign with Breakers

The Sky Sport New Zealand Breakers have kicked off NBL Free Agency with a bang, locking in Tall Blacks star Tai Webster on a one-year deal.

In addition to Webster, the Breakers have also added Dan Trist on a one-year deal and young Australian prospect Kyrin Galloway on a three-year deal with the first as a Development Player.

Webster represents a signing coup for the Breakers, joining brother Corey Webster in a star-studded back court.

Head Coach Dan Shamir said that the signing of Webster turns the Breakers into a contender in NBL21.

"I know for sure that every good team in the NBL tried to get Tai Webster during the last few years," said Shamir.

“To be able to add him is a huge step for us to be a contender this year.”

Tai joins the Breakers from Galatasaray in Turkey where he averaged 10.6 points and 4.1 assists per game in EuroCup play last season.

He was also a member of the New Zealand Tall Blacks 2019 FIBA World Cup team where he averaged 13.4 points, 3.8 rebounds and 4.4 assists per contest.

Webster, who has been working out at the Breakers training facility during the off-season is excited to return to the Club after previously being a Development Player with the team back in 2013.

“It was awfully kind of the coaches even to let me come in every day and work out with them, so I was just grateful for that opportunity. That was something they didn't have to do.

“There is a vast difference in the Breakers since I was last here, it’s been a long time I’ve been really involved in the club like this, and you can definitely see it’s come a long way.

“It’s tough to come into an environment like this with guys I’ve played alongside before and grew up playing with for a long time and see them working towards something and not wanting to be part of it.

After locking in Webster, Breakers Owner Matt Walsh indicated the Club would now prioritise the re-signing of Scotty Hopson as well as another big man.

“It’s massive because signing a local at the point guard position who is a top import level, allows us to now go out and focus on getting Scotty Hopson back,” he says.

“With all other teams likely to be importing their Point Guards, we’ve secured the best Kiwi Point Guard in the world whose international class is undeniable.

“With just two imports allowed this season due to COVID, we will focus on getting Scotty's signature and a seven-foot centre.”

Dan Trist joins the Breakers from the South East Melbourne where he suited up in 21 games with a season-high of 16 points against the Taipans in January.

Kyrin Galloway is an inriguing prospect for the Breakers, coming straight out of College where he suited up for the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

Galloway pulled on the green and gold in 2019 as a member of Australia's World University Games team. He joins the Breakers as a Development Player in NBL21 before moving into a contracted spot for the final two years of his contract.

The Breakers lineup now includes Tai Webster, Corey Webster, Rob Loe, Tom Abercrombie, Finn Delany, Jarrad Weeks, Dan Trist, Kyrin Galloway (DP) and Terry Li (DP).

Topic #47395 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trist wtf, nomwetzell then.

Reply #811475 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

Interesting to see Trist got a deal with the Breakers? Also, good to see the NBL spell check their articles ("inriguing").

Reply #811476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trist real cheap, Webster expensivve

Reply #811477 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

Also good to see they're prioritising Scotty Hopson. I watched him in a warmup and he was hitting three's from nearly half-court. Guy is legit.

Reply #811478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i hope the 7 footer there after is a Ex nba player

Reply #811479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""With all other teams likely to be importing their Point Guards."

I don't think Matt Walsh follows the NBL all that closely!

Reply #811480 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Wetzel may be signed as a next star (?) or has prioritised playing in Europe over the NBL

Reply #811482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wetzell cant be ns, he hasn't been signed by nba team and stashed or 18y.o.

Reply #811483 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Trist. Wtf

Reply #811484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trist...off the back of a high season for SEM....wtf?

Reply #811487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster OK, Galloway OK, Hopson prioritise OK, import big OK, Trist WTF? I guess this means end of the road for Vodanovic.

Reply #811488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster, Webster, hopson, delany, Ashley starting 5 = high cost

Backups...
Weeks, Abercrombie, trist, Loe (Rusbatch, Murray, darling?)

Reply #811489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know mich about Galloway?

Reply #811490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6'8 3 point shooting pf from Australia just out of college.

Reply #811491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yPlDHyYiCu8

Reply #811492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Not many guys can protect the rim and stretch the floor like that. Shades of Brandon Ashley.

Reply #811494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there chaseing a 7fter Ashley is 6 9

Reply #811495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did noneke ever get his citizenship?
Where's jois?

Reply #811496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moneke'

Reply #811497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moneke playing div one in France, playing with side that won div two last season, did not get citizenship.

More money in Europe for any div one teams.

Reply #811498 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Trust must be playing for free.

Reply #811502 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Trist must be playing for free.

Reply #811503 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

According to this article Dan Shamir is now the Head Coach?

Reply #811504 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Trist not that bad as an end-of-the-bench big body. Not outstanding with SEM but he was serviceable in the limited minutes he had. You'd think again that he won’t be leaned on too much.

Reply #811506 | Report this post

Cornholio  
Years ago

Trist , Kuany Kuany and a handful of others will no doubt be common bench warming signings as clubs watch their spending .

Reply #811511 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Trist I thought had a decent rep before joining the NBL, so maybe Shamir still sees potential there??
Plus I guess its the same old story, with the squads back to 10, and presumably the 5-man cap still in place, you need a couple of really cheap guys to allow your 6~7 guys to be reasonable.

Reply #811522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trist and Galloway seem like a reach

Reply #811541 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Galloway I'm okay with.

With all the talented NZ bigs around why trist?

Reply #811558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"With all the talented NZ bigs around why trist?" - My thoughts exactly. This makes no sense to me.

Tai Webster - great signing.

Galloway - no thoughts on this really.

Disappointed they aren't bringing Brandon Ashley back. Foul trouble aside, he was great last season and I think he would be better second year in the NBL. I guess he’s more of a 4 and they must be looking for a true centre. Ashley’s ability to play 4 and 5 well is really useful though, especially if there are injuries (let’s not forget last seasons horror run). I wonder if he’ll sign with another NBL team.

Reply #811573 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

My concern is that Terry Li and Galloway have to be on the playing roster in 21/22 and I don't know where those slots are appearing from. As much as Galloway is intriguing as a 6'8' stretch talent, with the amount of potential NZ college talent - why not go Kiwi?

With an import 5, and Hopson/Abercrombie playing stretches at the 4, Trist won't play much in this front court. He's fine as a 10th man, but like others have asked, is Tohi Smith-Milner or Jordan Ngatai that much worse than Trist that you needed an Aussie?

Assuming my hunch on Ethan Rusbatch is correct:

Loe / Import*
Delany / Trist
Hopson / Abercrombie
C.Webster / Rusbatch
T.Webster / Weeks

With Abercrombie to close.

Reply #811585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes if I'm a NZ big I’m pissed off right now. Could Trist agent have connections to NZ owners group.

Reply #811595 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think PyroCross has it right, Rausbatch off the bench.
He didn't look out of place last season and won’t cost a ton.

Reply #811596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow what a shit roster.

Reply #811597 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Galloway is a three year deal.

Plenty of upside. I like this signing.

Reply #811608 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Galloway is a three year deal.

Plenty of upside. I like this signing.

Reply #811610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the Galloway signing but have no clue why the hell theyd sign Dan Trist. What the hell was Matt Walsh thinking?

Reply #811661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wetzell, salt, Fotu, darling look to be gone.

Reply #811662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fotu already signed in Europe, Darling hasn't been training with them and will probably re-sign in Europe, and reports are Salt is injured.

I would have preferred Wetzell to Trist but apparently he has NBA workouts.

Could Pledger be the 7 footer?

Reply #811667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next seasons signings will be very interesting.
Another import again, could see 1-3 nba guys back, a new nbl team, euro returnees potentially.

Reply #811668 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

If wetzell has NBA workouts, give him an NBA outclause

Timmins?

Reply #811688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i saw rob loe was playing in japan

Reply #811689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team could be

New Zealand Breakers-Shamir
6'4 T.Webster/6’1 J.Weeks
6’2 C.Webster/SG(NS)
6’7 S.Hopson(I)/6’6 T.Abercrombie
6’6 F.Delany/6’10 Y.Wetzell/6’9 D.Trist
6’9 B.Ashley(I)/6’11 R.Loe
DP
6’6 T.Li PG
6’5 T.Murray SG?
6’8 K.Galloway PF
6’10 T.Wynyard C?

Reply #811690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timmons ain't that good, went down hill.

Reply #811691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Loe could be gone to kagawa with henare and Vague

Reply #811694 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Timmons is barely dominating NZNBL.
A change in coaches stunted his development at Washington.

Tai Wynyard may be keen to stick with the Taipans as a DP.
Injuries have stopped him reaching his potential or anything close to.

Jack Salts knee injury is more serious than first thought, he won't be playing this season.

Reply #811722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For a period, NZ looked like it would all of a sudden have a plethora of quality bigs following Adams. However, Salt, Timmins and Wynyard have all not managed to continue their development. In some ways, Salt has reached his own athletic limits given the way the game is played now and Wynyard had a crippling back injury, but Timmins really stunted. I really do wonder if college remains the best route for Kiwi talent especially the major programs.

Wynyard, however, is still worth a punt. He looks a bit weighty in NZ NBL, but I think with the right coaching and some time he still has the strength and craftiness.

How is Trist off the court? While Walsh said all the right things about Vodanovic, maybe Shamir and co are trying to improve the off court culture and bringing in guys that can be good around the locker room?

Reply #811732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trist brings a certain asset off the floor the team will be happy with

Reply #811735 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Yes Timmins hasn't really come on. But neither did Abercrombie in the us college system (both went to colleges in Washington).

Wynyard is overweight, but boy you can see his talent level. Footwork, touch.

They go there and are role players on the top teams. The lower divisions are better for their development imo. But that's another story.

Anyway, I'd prefer to watch timmins, salt, wynard, than some Aussie stiff.

Reply #811787 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Ater Majok and majok majok are better than trist

Reply #811795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rob Loe signed a 3 year deal with the Breakers earlier this year. He was only playing in Japan in the off season, which was cut short by Covid.

Why they signed Trist I have no idea. I do think they'll sign Rusbatch.

Reply #811799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"How is Trist off the court? While Walsh said all the right things about Vodanovic, maybe Shamir and co are trying to improve the off court culture and bringing in guys that can be good around the locker room?"

Nah, Vodanovich is a great locker room guy. Matt Walsh has said in the past that was one of the reasons they signed him.

Reply #811800 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

I wasn't a fan of vodanavich playing centre, but I'd take him over trist

Reply #811806 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Breakers have posted career highlights of trist to Facebook. All long jumpers or fade aways.

Reply #811807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then why bother with Trist? Vodanovic is in great form albeit in a weaker NZ NBL than usual. Galloway I can understand.

Reply #811809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah the Trist signing is very random.

Reply #811811 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754